PDA

View Full Version : Ranking up in 7th Ed

Nineswords
23-05-2007, 14:32
As someone who hasn't got 7th ed yet and obviously missed the band wagon of the new rules discussions, anyone else finding gripes with the ranks having to be 5 wide? I'm now in a position where I will have to revise my list again and buy yet another box of Chaos Warriors from 12 warriors to 15 to satisfy this new rule. Never mind that Chaos Warriors come in boxes of 12 and unit trays will only fit 4 wide on a 25 mm base.

*argh*

Tutore
23-05-2007, 14:34
I build my unit trays with old cornflakes boxes for my orcs, for example.

Cpt_NinjaPants
23-05-2007, 14:38
It is annoying having to buy more models, but it's not that hard to make movement trays.

Bloodknight
23-05-2007, 14:39
Buy a box of 3 snap-fit chaos warriors :)
They look the same as the normal ones anyway.

And yes, the trays are a problem. I never understood why GW didnīt do a second set of trays fitting for 5x25mm bases as this would also be useful for cavalry.

strv
23-05-2007, 14:42
Well isn't there a small pack of 3 warriors? The plastic one, they have shields though.

As tutore, I build my unit trays from cornflake boxes, and other cardboard, with sprue for edges.

Edit: got ninja posted by two :(

Sasha
23-05-2007, 15:01
put your warriors 6 wide, they're good enough to go for an extra attack, rather than an extra rank at more points.

ekxw
23-05-2007, 15:04
easier than that the easiest way to make a movement it using card board and spaguety, more easy than that.............

policy-boy
23-05-2007, 15:13
put your warriors 6 wide, they're good enough to go for an extra attack, rather than an extra rank at more points.

I tried that: dont do it, it makes movement so much more difficult and the extra couple of attacks never justify itself

Sanjuro
23-05-2007, 15:18
easier than that the easiest way to make a movement it using card board and spaguety, more easy than that.............

Spaghetti for movement tray edges? Surely this is madness!

Madness?

THIS!

IS!

PASTA!

Sorry, couldn't resist it. :D

Ah yes, the topic. Warriors just shouldn't try for ranks - just don't do it. It's not worth the points, no matter how you pull it. It was hardly worth it in 6th, and it is definitly not worth it in 7th. Warriors are really more of a joke these days anyway. I've been running a 12 strong (6x2) unit of chosen warriors with the war banner in my list lately for a laugh, but they actually haven't been all that bad. But point for point, there are tons and tons of better options in the Chaos Books.

Totengraber
24-05-2007, 18:26
How about Linguini or Ziti?

Totengraber

Horus0001
24-05-2007, 18:29
the current movement trays GW supplies (not the totally closed ones) can be cut and glued to fit 5X25mm, going to try it soon, might tell depending on how well it goes :p

Jmznudd
24-05-2007, 18:46
How about Linguini or Ziti?

Totengraber

I am SOOOOO having my kids make me movement trays with mini-cereal boxes and macaroni.

Oh and as for the topic.... you should be able to find a three pack of Chaos warriors. But I don't even run Chaos warriors unless I'm running a big force and need a point sink. :evilgrin:

-James

theunwantedbeing
24-05-2007, 19:28
Cardboard works....saw a guy with a DE army who had everything on custom cardboard trays.
If you need some sort of lip to the trays you can do that with excess sprues as your bound to have something the right size.
You can swap cardboard for plasticard if you really want.

Spaghetti strands would work for the same purpose,although it'll look a bit odd,and your opponents may tease you when they realise what they are made of.

Nineswords
24-05-2007, 19:29
Yeah I had a look today, they are going for 7 quid, I'm sure I have some friends with spares mind. I have also come across a website that does 80 sizes of resin movement trays which I will be investing in.

Vattendroppe
24-05-2007, 20:27
The 5 ranks wide is a pain in the ass when starting a new army also, since all the GW boxes comes with a number of miniatures multiple by 4. Arrh I tell ye, they be nothing else than filthy dogs. Aigh. (have just seen pirates of the carribean 3, cannot help it...)

Griefbringer
24-05-2007, 21:37
I am SOOOOO having my kids make me movement trays with mini-cereal boxes and macaroni.

Wouldn't lasagne pieces make for handy movement trays - no need for cardboard!

But why stick to just movement trays, when you could make the whole army of pasta?

Just glue penne and fusilli on 20x20 mm bases, some canneloni on 50x50 mm bases, and a swarm of macaroni on a 40x40 mm bases. Not sure how to base spagetti - it probably needs to be cut down to fit on any base. Decorate the bases with parmegiano looking flock.

Then just claim that it represents a horde of giant pasta animated by the mad Tilean sorceror Pomodoro de Locopollo (you will need a metal or plastic model to represent him, perhaps the new Empire wizards would fit the bill). Have the whole lot count as undead (I don't expect animated pasta to be very lively) with the wizard as a necromancer.

The 5 ranks wide is a pain in the ass when starting a new army also, since all the GW boxes comes with a number of miniatures multiple by 4.

Like the plastic black orcs and new Empire state troops (both 10 to a box)? Or all the metal boxed sets?

Holy Crap! Manticores!
24-05-2007, 23:20
First off, to address the movement tray issue, it's not that hard to make them. I've seen players cut up notebook paper for impromptu movement trays... I did it once myself when I forgot to pack mine after a 40k tournamnet.

As far as the 5+ wide rules for ranks, it didn't really affect me that much as I was running everything 5-6 wide anyway... the one exception was my Cold One Knights, which 4 wide with a highborn seemed about perfect. Although now it's not much of a problem... the wider ranks give them even more attacks on the charge now that I line them up 5-6 wide.

Aesthetically, I like wider ranks anyway. They look better and it's nice to let the dice fly when attacking with 8 Witch Elves after expanding frontage the previous round of combat.

And remember, you aren't required to rank up 5-wide... you just won't get the rank bonus on 4-.

And for the pasta discussion, nothing captures the flavor of sauce like rotini.

PS for your current 12-strong Warriors, I'd just run them 5x2 +2 in back rank until you can get another box of Warriors... then buff them out to 20, 5x4.

Nineswords
24-05-2007, 23:34
And remember, you aren't required to rank up 5-wide... you just won't get the rank bonus on 4-.

Am I missing something here? I thought it was a mandatory requirement you have to rank up 5.

As regards to the pasta - Someone needs to convert up a Sauce-erer Lord. With Carbonara. Damn that was a bad pun.

Chiron
25-05-2007, 00:15
Am I missing something here? I thought it was a mandatory requirement you have to rank up 5.

As regards to the pasta - Someone needs to convert up a Sauce-erer Lord. With Carbonara. Damn that was a bad pun.

your ranks can be any size you want, you only get rank bonus for ranks that are 5+ though

Vattendroppe
25-05-2007, 06:08
Like the plastic black orcs and new Empire state troops (both 10 to a box)? Or all the metal boxed sets?

Bah! Details. They still be filthy shrubbery loving kniggits! But until they have all the boxes redone it can feel a bit of waste of money trying to get regiments of 25...

Kavu
25-05-2007, 07:34
I have also come across a website that does 80 sizes of resin movement trays which I will be investing in.

Mind sharing it with your fellow gamers?

Nineswords
25-05-2007, 11:34
http://www.terrainwarehouse.co.uk/category.aspx?CategoryID=87

Scythe
25-05-2007, 12:36
To answer the original question:

As someone who hasn't got 7th ed yet and obviously missed the band wagon of the new rules discussions, anyone else finding gripes with the ranks having to be 5 wide?

Nah, not really. I think 5 wide regiments look a lot better on the battlefield anyway. I hated seeing those 4 wide, 10 deep regiments clanrats/goblins/whatever unit. Now, that annoyance is slightly less, tough 5x8 regiments still look bad. There should be a rule which prevents you from making you regiments deeper as they are wide.

I'm now in a position where I will have to revise my list again and buy yet another box of Chaos Warriors from 12 warriors to 15 to satisfy this new rule. Never mind that Chaos Warriors come in boxes of 12 and unit trays will only fit 4 wide on a 25 mm base.

I'd do as others suggested; use a 6x2 unit instead. The rank bonus is overpriced for chaos warriors anyway. Use some marauders for cheap ranks, and use the warriors as support / flankers to get some kills in.

Kavu
25-05-2007, 13:02
Thanks alot Nineswords.