PDA

View Full Version : How to use Light Cavalry

Canadian_Khan
23-05-2007, 23:50
Hi

Just wandering something.

How do you guys use your light cavalry... cause I have 1 unit of hounds and 1 of horse archers of Kislev that always... and I mean... ALWAYS... without having done a thing.

Myself, I try to have them surround the enemy on the sides... to hit them from behind or flank... but that never works.

Are they supposed to be used some other mysterious way?

Cragspyder
24-05-2007, 01:52
Light Cavalry (and by these I assume you mean units of Cavalry with the Fast Cavalry rule, and a 5+ or worse AS, thought TK Chariots fall into that category and are certainly not light) are a very useful unit. You just have to remember that they aren't really for fighting.

Being Fast Cavalry, their free reforms make them very mobile. They can run down the flanks and march block enemy units while staying out of LOS. They can also threaten the flanks of infantry blocks, as 5 Light Cavalry are US 10 and so can negate ranks. You just have to remember to combo charge them with another unit, as they will not win combat on their own. They can also stand behind enemy units in order to take advantage of the fact that enemy units are destroyed if they flee through a US 5 unit.

Another use is to sacrifice a unit of Light Cavalry in order to expose a hard-hitting enemy unit to a charge. With proper positioning, you can catch an enemy unit in the flank no matter if he chooses to overrun or not. I use Tomb Kings Skeleton Light Horsemen in this regard, as they are only 70 points for 5. Most Light Cavalry are even cheaper then this.

A third use is to have them bait charges. This of course only works with units that can flee (so not TK Light Horsemen, or Wild Riders), but it works great for other Light Cavalry like Horse Archers, or Warhounds. When an enemy unit charges the Light Cavalry, they can flee, thus making the enemy unit fail their charge and exposing them to a return charge. Due to the special rules for Fast Cavalry, the Light Cavalry can even move and shoot after fleeing from a charge (assuming they rally). Even if they are caught, Light Cavalry units are usually cheap.

Bowfire from Light Cavalry is sometimes seen as a waste of time, especiallly since most units have to pay extra for bows. However, it helps the unit do something useful every turn of the game, which some players like.

So in summary, Light Cavalry should be used for:

1) Flank (or rear) charges in combination with another unit to the front

2) Baiting charges

3) March Blocking

4) Destroying fleeing units

They should not be used for:

1) Fighting anything in the front except for war machines

2) Fighting anything alone except for war machines and ranked archer units they charged in the flank or rear

3) Solely for shooting

Bloodknight
24-05-2007, 02:03
TK light horsemen are good for baiting charges of frenzied troops. You will lose them but having those Khornate knights looking into the wrong direction far from the actual battle after overrunning is worth losing 70 points.

Cragspyder´s summary is good, I would however add that they are normally able to fight against missile units or anything soft in one rank even from the front. Marauder horsemen with flails can even fight against harder stuff with a decent chance of winning.
As pure missile troops all fast cav are overpriced. They pay a lot for bows and mobility and won´t hit much most of the time. To get their points back you have to shoot something and bait one or two charges.
And often you won´t do much with them because most people (at least the ones I know9 just shoot them with bows or crossbows as fast cav units are juicy targets. They´re soft and in case of missile armed units like Dark riders not quite cheap.

In my DoW army I mostly use them for march blocking and running down fleeing troops as the DoW list includes no fliers except for captains on pegasi and the horrendously overpriced and underpowered Birdmen of Catrazza.

whobetta
24-05-2007, 19:11
I have recently started using dark elves... maybe I don't use the Riders correctly, but they seem to get smashed every game... (or is that the point) for march blocking or baiting charges how do you keep them from becoming swiss cheese vs other armies. is this just knowledge of what army you are facing or experience? I mean if I run them up in front of a group of HE sword masters, RBT's n archers take them out like a hot knife through butter! Any info would be beneficial. Thanks!!!

Cragspyder
24-05-2007, 20:18
I have recently started using dark elves... maybe I don't use the Riders correctly, but they seem to get smashed every game... (or is that the point) for march blocking or baiting charges how do you keep them from becoming swiss cheese vs other armies. is this just knowledge of what army you are facing or experience? I mean if I run them up in front of a group of HE sword masters, RBT's n archers take them out like a hot knife through butter! Any info would be beneficial. Thanks!!!

To tell you the truth, if they are getting shot at by the RBT and archers, you are already winning, as the bolt throwers aren't shooting at your foot blocks, Cold One Knights, etc..... Just don't expose their flank to a piercing shot!

Unless they are getting wiped (or paniked) on Turn 1? In which case, he either got lucky or has a lot of shooting to throw out. Panic is one of the most effective weapons vs Fast Cav though as they are fragile, usually have low leadership and US, and run fast.

Like I said though, if they waste a turn or 2 of shooting your Fast Cav, they haven't been shooting your foot blocks. Maybe you could consider bringing 2 units of Dark Riders?

But of course if your opponent is smart, they are killing the Fast Cav to prevent them from doing just those things that you want them to do. Might be a good idea to invest in the Dark Elf flying troop (Harpies, i think?) and get that RBT in combat anyways. Though I haven't heard great things about the effectiveness of Harpies.

Vattendroppe
24-05-2007, 20:29
If one can find no other use of them they're fun to have just to play around with. Against a normal moving enemy they're fairly uncatchable, combine that with bows and you'll have a great time!

Llew
24-05-2007, 21:24
I love my mounted yeoman in my Bretonnian force. Not for their effectiveness, but for the humor they bring to almost every game.

They made nearly a dozen appearances before they actually made it to the second turn of a battle. ("Oh, I'll just shoot this detachement of archers at those light horse guys. 2 dead. And they panic? Cool!") Often, they died and/or fled the table before my first movement.

I've read all sorts of neat things about how to use light cavalry, but have yet to have it work out. Still, when I play my Empire, I fully intend to use the Pistoliers and Outriders.

Tutore
25-05-2007, 22:14
Fast cavalry is under my point of view the main type of unit I have to use in a battle. I always field many of them. They have so many uses that they must be fielded.

Templar_Victorious
26-05-2007, 21:02
I usually use F.Cav to go for the enemies large targets (I deploy pistoliers), as they are allowed to see and shoot them even if they are formed up in odd formations that the terrain dictates. After the threat of L- Targets has been neutralized, they will act as killers of enemy units that breaks from combat, given by my, until now 100%, failsafe detachment system, The outnumbering, rank bonus and flank charge (or rare rear and flank charge) will give me a +5 or +7 combat resolution. Given the resilience of swordsmen in the parent unit, enemies, will rarely score more than 2 kills, if lucky. WS4 and 4+ AS in CC is very useful, especially for mere men. And yes, I have an Empire army.