PDA

View Full Version : Topless Glory Boys

Try Again Bragg
23-05-2007, 23:50
Make all of the Arnie and Rambo jokes that you want, I love my Catachan figures. While I know my views are not shared by all, I think that they are the best looking Guard models out there. Unfortunately, one of the things I like so much about them is also the source of a problem...they're nearly naked from the waist up.

I would like to try including Storm Troopers and/or Grenadiers in my army, but I also think that the Kasrkin models, while sweet, would look out of place in an army of Catachans and, to be honest, I really cannot afford to buy more models right now. So my question is this: how could I mod some Catachans to fit look of Stormies?

I figure I could say that they have some sort of force field that provides the 4+ save, but that is a little too cheesy (as in stupid).

Anyway, please give me any ideas you can come up with. :cool:

CommisarMolotov
23-05-2007, 23:59
I know you're short on cash, but can you afford to buy some Cadian plastic heads? With some "green stuff" elbow and knee-pads, and those helmeted heads, at least you'd be able to tell 'em apart from the rank n' file.

Feor
24-05-2007, 00:01
Cadian Arms to fill them out from vest to jacket with shoulder pads.

Cadians with Catachan heads.

There's also some really cool old inquisitorial stormtroopers I've been eyeing for use as veterans in my catachan-model based army, though I haven't worked up the desire (or the cash) to order a squad of them. They're basically just in full fatigues with berets. The catalog at my local GW only has 4 of them though, 2 sergeants, one with bolter & one with a hell pistol/power sword, one with a Meltagun, and one with a plasmagun, so you'd probably end up making Hellguns out of plasma guns.

Tanner MIrabel
24-05-2007, 00:02
You could give them a lot of camouflage, maybe some green stuff cloaks or netting? Basically anything that's going to make them look different from yuor rank and file 'roid boys

Formarion
24-05-2007, 00:22
Get the Cadian bodies and just use the rest of the Catachan sprue. Maybe model a cloak/extra armour for the arms if you want, but I would just add in small shoulderpads and leave it at that ^^

Freakiq
24-05-2007, 00:42
Shave the shoulderpads off the cadian arms and add them to the knees, works great.

El Presedente
24-05-2007, 00:47
I say just give them more clothes, GS them t-shirts or jackets, add a bit here and there, kneepads etc, and something like a berret to make them out as the elite.

Outlaw289
24-05-2007, 05:28
Paint scars on their bodies, give them uniquely colored bandannas, and GS some eye patches and trophies.

To be honest Kolby, I'd recommend using Veterans over Storm Troopers, especially in a Catachan army.

starlight
24-05-2007, 05:45
I'm going to second the call for Vets - far more in keeping with the background.

Commissar Vaughn
24-05-2007, 08:50
Id third the vets, but if you want storm troopers I reckon a good way to go is using cadian bodies and legs with the muscular catachan arms and head. That way they are catachans with heavier armour and shouldnt look to out of place whilst remaining distinctive. Its a combo Ive used a few times. There should be a Veteran Sarge like that in my aircav project log if you want a butchers hook. Check in my sig...(actually look at the second link, p6, 5th post down, 6th photo, and the squad at the front is my vet squad and the Sarge should stand out! )

Maybe mailorder the normal kasrkin backpack as well, and with a bit of thin wire link it to the lasgun to hot-shot it!

gitburna
24-05-2007, 14:05
Another option is to buy some Goliaths for Necromunda.
They have little bits of body armour on them, and are even bigger than the normal catachans.
So you could say they are the elite troops.

Alternatives are to model them with more jungle camoflauge like in the old Catachan codex. Then instead of a "4+ Carapace armour" its actually more like a "4+cover save" ....

Lord Malek The Red Knight
24-05-2007, 14:22
my wife and I used Catachan models for our Tunnel Fighting 40K game. when some of our models got Carapace Armour, this is what we did:

- Plastic Catachan
- SM torso (front and back)
- Kroot shoulder pads

looks pretty sweet, IMHO. :)

~ Tim

adam
24-05-2007, 18:36
go for it, cant hurt anything

Try Again Bragg
24-05-2007, 19:14
What about 3 Squads of Veterans with Carapace armor and three squads of Grenadiers as troops?

Do Grenadiers need Chimeras to be effective? 'Cuz I really don't want to go out and buy Chimeras...especially before I get my hands on a Hellhound.

my wife and I used Catachan models for our Tunnel Fighting 40K game. when some of our models got Carapace Armour, this is what we did:

- Plastic Catachan
- SM torso (front and back)
- Kroot shoulder pads

looks pretty sweet, IMHO. :)

~ Tim

Any pictures?

CrimsonTider
24-05-2007, 19:29
I actually did the same as Lord Malek, Catachan legs, arms, and heads with space marinne torsos. I used the space marine torso with the straps crossed over his chest in the "X" shape for them all, so there is no marine iconography on their chests. For the vet sgt, I used the marine torso with a single skull in the center of his chest. With green camo fatigues and black torso armor, they look pretty decent. Attach scopes to all their lasguns and you have instant hellguns too. I then attached all those left-over coomlinks to their backs instead of the standard marine power pack, and they look very much like catachan veterans/stormtroopers.

Hlokk
24-05-2007, 19:36
I am another one who loves the catachan models, and I found these things work well:

1: Space Marine shoulderpads. Get some clippers and cut off the raised edge. Doesnt matter if its not perfect, it'll look ragged and battle damaged. Stick one on each shoulder and voila (damn, thats french isnt it, mustn't do that again...). Get a pinvice (available on a tutorial from GW) and drill some tiny holes in there. Bullet holes look ace. On getting hold of marine shoulderpads, if you've been playing for any length of time, you should have some. If not, any GW regulars or mates you have who play should have a crapload. Scrounge some off them.

2: Cadian heads, if you can scrounge some. Get the helmet and clipper off the back box bit. Also, clipper off the sides and file them flat. Look remarkably like German WWII helmets.

3: Green stuff some kneepads. Or, if you cant sculpt, get a staffer to "show you" and then try to get them to do them all for you.

4: Backpacks are probably a good idea. I would think either:
a: Backpacks from the cadian/catachan heavy weapons sprue.
b: marine backpacks with the iconography filed off and the vents cut off

So from those steps, you should have:

Armoured knees
Armoured heads
Armoured shoulders.

I have to question the need to armour the chest, because straying too far will make them look too different. Also, be aware that if you combine cadian torsos with catachan legs, you will end up with a model with 2 belts, unless you file down the waist on the legs about 2mm.

Lord Malek The Red Knight
24-05-2007, 19:42
Any pictures?
i didnt, but seeing as you asked i just took some quick shots (managed to dig the models out from the games room - we havent used them since Kate started playing 40K). they've not been painted yet (except a bit of Fortress Grey slapped on as a basecoat).

from left to right: Bolt Pistol, Supression Shield; Lasgun, Frag Grenades & Meltabombs; Veteran Sgt. w/Power Sword and Plasma Pistol. all with Carapace Armour and Combat Knives.
http://i44.photobucket.com/albums/f20/lordmalektheredknight/carapace.jpg
(please forgive shoddyness of pics, they were just quick shots)

hope that helps :)

~ Tim

El Presedente
24-05-2007, 20:25
Another option is to buy some Goliaths for Necromunda.

Never thought of that, but its a good idea, orloks may work well too, or ratskins as trackers.