PDA

View Full Version : Stormbolter love?

Vesica
24-05-2007, 00:34
why do people dislike the stormbolter on normal SM captains?

looking at it, it seems pretty good.

Lancaster
24-05-2007, 00:35
It is good

Problem is, there are better things available...

Plate
24-05-2007, 00:43
I think the problem most people have with it is the five point cost doesn't justify an extra shot, plus it prevents you from getting an extra CC attack (then again, so do bolters). I guess most people would tell you that 4 points would be better spent somewhere else (smoke launchers and a search light on a transport, etc.).

Radish
24-05-2007, 00:51
Most people tool their charactors for cc, the storm bolter means one less attack in melee. However, when the SM codex gets put in line with DA and BA, I bet the storm bolter will become alot more common. I use a storm bolter on every vehicle and at 5 points they easily make their points back (and all my gaming group are MEQs) and the charactor even has a higher BS.

IncrediSteve
24-05-2007, 01:30
If you have a single Lightning claw as your CC weapon, then a Storm Bolter is no loss.

Rather niched application, but against Nids and GEQ it makes for a great commander, and also one that is more flavorful as it's a less common loadout.

psykochiken
24-05-2007, 02:31
In my DA i ALWAYS give IC's stormbolters, 5 points for an almost guarenteed GEQ kill at 24"

heck yeah!

Gutlord Grom
24-05-2007, 02:41
In my DA i ALWAYS give IC's stormbolters, 5 points for an almost guarenteed GEQ kill at 24"

heck yeah!

But then you're in range of his guns, and to be thruthful, probably plugging away with the Command Squads heavy weapons, which is a good strategy a lot of the time. But the big guns never tire, and face it, the Imperial Guard have have some of the largest guns in the game.

I've worked with combi weapons on my Captain, and the extra plasma shot is a nice surprise.Stil deadly with the power sword.

The Dude
24-05-2007, 03:05
I love the Storm Bolter. My Chapter Master Amen'nefra (http://i53.photobucket.com/albums/g45/Stickchap/CoMaatMaster.jpg)has one. Combined with a Power Weapon, it makes a great counter-assault character.

You can keep him behind the line plugging away with his Storm Bolter at full range whilst retaining the ability to react to the enemy's movements and shore up defences.

Of course, I'm a fairly conservative player, and my Marines have a Bolter Fixation, so...

TheSanityAssassin
24-05-2007, 03:23
I don't like the idea on characters, but in mass numbers, such as on Grey Knights, they are an awesome weapon.

Ronin_eX
24-05-2007, 06:44
I like the new way they're doing HQ's so that your commander doesn't have to specialize. A DA Master can have his two CC weapons and the stormbolter at the same time, makes it a great option as now your character can be useful at all times.

rintinglen
24-05-2007, 09:34
Storm Bolters are good against lightly armoured foes, like IG or eldar, but I usually go with either a bolt pistol or a plasma pistol, depending on who I expect to come calling. My commander has the best weapon skill and best ballistic skill of any model I have, so I usually try to optimise my commander to do one or the other.
I have spent way too many turns shooting and shooting at low armor models, watching them make their 2 plus armor saves, so if I have an inkling as to who I am going to face, my Commander gets the weapon best suited for that purpose. My default setting is usually either a combi-melta or a plasma pistol. I would point out that my commander has been magnetized so that I can easily switch them around. (And I have about 6 commanders of varying vintages).

BlackViper
24-05-2007, 11:58
Actually I run my captain with a storm bolter and thunderhammer.

I do that mostly 'cos I think the model looks cool. He looses an attack in CC and he hits last (dangerous I know) but boy he can pull his weight! I just love watching him munch through multi-wound units - bye bye my mates Ogryns!

Cheatah
24-05-2007, 12:32
You can do as I did, make "familiars" with a storm bolter, so you can always choose to add the familiar to represent a storm bolter on your IC. (check my project log... it's in my sig)

El_Phen
24-05-2007, 12:41
I've got a Storm Bolter on an Assault Squad sergeant. IT seems to work pretty well with the flamers to back it up before they go in and smite whoever needs smiting (generally Tau).

Bunnahabhain
24-05-2007, 14:44
Storm bolters are nice and characterful for the marines, and more interesting than the boringly common assault maniac.

I use them on lots of my Guard officers. You might as well use their BS with something worth hitting with, and it feels right.

Feor
24-05-2007, 15:26
I dunno if I'd put them on my commander (unless he's in Terminator Armour, of course) but if you have 5 spare points it's a nice upgrade for a Veteran Sergeant.

Iceheart2112
24-05-2007, 19:11
I like having it on my master because while you do lose an attack in the assault, you've got a really good ranged assault 2 weapon that you can shoot all day long.

Bob5000
24-05-2007, 19:16
I don't like the idea on characters, but in mass numbers, such as on Grey Knights, they are an awesome weapon.

Yep , I have no choice on my GK's , and you are quite right , a squad of GK's firing stormbolters and charging is indeed a satisfying sight .

Outlaw289
24-05-2007, 19:25
I give them to all my IG characters. I wish they were cheaper (3 points maybe) but I still like 'em.

Lord Malek The Red Knight
24-05-2007, 19:33
i think we would see much more of them if they could be taken as a special weapon (instead of Plasma/Melta guns etc) in all Imperial armies (not just SOB).

~ Tim

ashc
24-05-2007, 20:27
Stormbolters. Love 'em for the deathwing ;)

Ash

MrBigMr
24-05-2007, 23:40
Storm Bolters? Yes, please.
My (WIP) Drop Troops declare in their name. My Heroic Senior Officer (http://www.labyrinth-productions.com/Pics/hso1.jpg) and Hardened Veteran Sergeant (http://www.labyrinth-productions.com/Pics/vet.jpg) have them and propably 2 more HV Sergeants plus a commissar.
Don't mind the power fists, I just loved the Storm Bolter gauntlet in Winter Assault and ended up making a fetish out of it. And the HV Sarge is missing SM Scout legs at the moment.

GodofWarTx
25-05-2007, 00:16
I dunno if I'd put them on my commander (unless he's in Terminator Armour, of course) but if you have 5 spare points it's a nice upgrade for a Veteran Sergeant.

as of the Dark Angels and Blood Angels WD, Veteran Sargeants can no longer have Stormbolters. Only HQ characters can have them in the , heh, "armory" .

devolutionary
25-05-2007, 00:30
i think we would see much more of them if they could be taken as a special weapon (instead of Plasma/Melta guns etc) in all Imperial armies (not just SOB).

~ Tim

I know I'd take em! They're a solid gun that unfortunately detracts from SM commander's strength, being CC. On an IG commander I would definitely contemplate it.

cailus
25-05-2007, 01:01
If I ever re-do Marines I am not taking that piece of excrement stormbolter on my captain.

Instead it's going to be the ultimate in combos - bolter + powerfist (kinda like one of the old captain models).

IncrediSteve
25-05-2007, 01:09
wow, great logic there. Why lose an attack for 2 shots at 24" and then charge when I can lose an attack for 2 shots at 12" and then not charge.

Brilliant!

I'm with LMTRK, I usually don't like heavy weapons in my tactical squads, a Storm bolter would rock out hard.

cailus
25-05-2007, 01:35
wow, great logic there. Why lose an attack for 2 shots at 24" and then charge when I can lose an attack for 2 shots at 12" and then not charge.

Brilliant!

I like the original captain model with bolter and powerfist. I am obsessed with the idea of creating an army that relies on bolters to kill but my Ork obsession means that I can't add any more Marines to my force until I've collected an Ork army of at least 3,000 points (and I have 1,500 right now).

After Orks I think I need to start a close in Imperial madness IG army with lots of Ogryns, Priests, Sanctioned Psykers and other pointless drivel no-one in their right mind would take (if you would call Hellhounds, Sentinels and Demolishers pointless drivel).

I also really don't care about efficiency too much. I'm actually thinking of re-strarting Blood Angels and using either Tycho or Corbulo and then adding lots of bolters. Who needs the Death Company when you have the holy bolter to smite thy enemies with?

So many ideas yet so little time and so little cash!