PDA

View Full Version : Stand and Shoot vs. Random Movement

Brother Barak
24-05-2007, 08:09
I played a game on Wednesday evening, and came upon an unusual circumstance. If a unit with random movement - say Squig Hoppers or Chaos Spawn, end up charging a unit armed with missile weapons, can the unit armed with missile weapons choose to stand and shoot (bearing in mind that other compulsory movers like frenzied troops may be stood and shot against)? I ask this because you may only stand and shoot if the unit charging you is more than half their charge move away (p19), and random movement is not doubled for charging. How does this play?

Sherlocko
24-05-2007, 08:15
Just treat his random movement as his charge range. I think it says you should do it about spawn, but I am not sure.

T10
24-05-2007, 08:42
You can indeed take your charge reactions against units with random movement.

Note that you cannot Stand & Shoot against a unit that charges from within half it's charge range: If the Squig Hoppers start 6" away you can Stand & Shoot if they roll less than 12" for movement, but you may not if they roll 13" or more.

-T10

theunwantedbeing
24-05-2007, 08:51
The unit gets a charge reaction.
As it counts as a charge.
No problems.

Otherwise it would be breaking a core game mechanic and be open to abuse.

Griefbringer
24-05-2007, 10:16
I ask this because you may only stand and shoot if the unit charging you is more than half their charge move away (p19), and random movement is not doubled for charging. How does this play?

As said, treat the movement rolled as their charge move to determine if they are more than half move away.

Somewhat similarly, for flyers the charge move is equal to their normal (not doubled) move.

Brother Barak
24-05-2007, 23:49
Tha seems fairly simple. Is there a page reference for that in the book, or is it just something they... neglected to cover?

T10
25-05-2007, 07:46
It is covered by the Charge Reaction rules. A Stand & Shoot reaction only takes into account the distance the chargers needs to move and the maximum distance it can move.

Once you have rolled for random movement both those variables are known.

Don't let yourself be confused by the fact that most units make a double move on the charge: You can still halve something you have not doubled!

-T10

DeathlessDraich
25-05-2007, 12:13
That seems fairly simple. Is there a page reference for that in the book, or is it just something they... neglected to cover?

pg 19 Stand and shoot " If the charged unit has missile weapons and all of the charging units are more than half their charge move"

Brother Barak
28-05-2007, 05:59
Excelent. Thanks for the feedback!