PDA

View Full Version : 40K / Necromunda

BlackViper
24-05-2007, 10:38
Sorry if this isn't strictly a necromunda discussion.

I was wondering whether anyone out there had used the necromunda campaign rules for a 40K skirmish game?

basically, you could use the stats, rules and points costs from a codex to make a gang/unit of your choice (maybe all from one unit entry, maybe from various entries). Then play out the game using th necromunda rules - no unit coherency, using runnning / hiding / overwatch, proper grenade throwing, ammo rolls, pinning, injuries etc.

At the end of the game make recovery rolls, allocate experience, advances etc. and watch that marine combat squad get stats increases, skills and develop to be bad-ass veterans.

I'd be better than kill teams, which just doesn't work in my experience....

Anyone tried it? anyone recon it'd work?

monkey child
24-05-2007, 10:49
The main problem as I see it is that where as in necro you are dealing with a small range of races, in 40k its hard to make it realistic when you have experienced guardsmen tearing space marines apart with there bare hands ect.

I think mordheim works better in that you have your heros who are capable of all the fancy killy singlehanded stuff, but you have hench men slots which have a lower max skill limit making it slightly more balanced and which are comprised of a number of troops and thus more representive of squads ect.

As for the other rules I think they would work but there would ned to be plenty of house rules to cover all the different problems that could crop up ( pinning on certain xenos races among others)

Chimpeh
24-05-2007, 10:56
My friends and I, have in the past, used Necromunda rules during a campaign to represent small raiding / infiltrating forces. In my opinion the rules are great to represent, for example a unit of marine scouts tasked with taking out an enemy singnals instillation [i.e. the Raid scenario].

Due to the change of the 40k rule system, I'm not sure whether you'd be best using the pure Necromunda rules or whether you'd be better making an attempt at combining the two systems together. For example, I'm fairly certain you could quite easily integrate 4th edition gun profiles into Necromunda. Alternatively, if you could get your hands on the old second edition rule books you could use the weapon profiles available in there to represent alien weapons such as Shrukien catapults etc.

Edit - Just seen this discussion (http://www.warseer.com/forums/showthread.php?p=1585141#post1585141). Might be of some use?

Lord 0
25-05-2007, 05:56
Perhaps the old 2nd ed WH40k would be a better starting point. Use those for a guide remove stuff like coherency and that sort of thing.

gitburna
25-05-2007, 15:54
way back when i had a lot of time on my hands i invented a Scouts gang for necromunda basically training a necromunda ganger type model into a Space Marine. It was quite fun seeing how many scouts could actually make it into space marines :)