PDA

View Full Version : Wood Elf glade scouts tactic question

TheTrueSloth
24-05-2007, 10:58
Hey guys

Just a quickie this time. I was having a look through the Wood Elves armies book, and I remembered that wood elf glade guard can have a magic banner. I was wondering:

Has anyone tried out using the Banner of the Zenith on a unit of scouts?

The plan was to have like 8 or 9 scouts with musician and standard with Banner of the Zenith and just scout ahead. Improved range for march disrupting, you can slap them in a wood and make them really hard to shoot down while they just fire away. Then if anyone tries to charge them you can flee out of the wood, leave them stranded and rally again next turn with the musician to carry on being a pain. Costs about 179pts for 8 scouts mind with which you could grab yourself something like 7 waywatchers.

Is it a good idea? Is it worth the points just for the increased march disruption? Should we all just stick to Waywatchers?

Toodles

god octo
24-05-2007, 12:55
It is a much used tactic, actually, though I prefer waywatchers. Normally, a unit of just 5 or 6 scouts should do, as the extra bodies won't really help.

Sauron90
24-05-2007, 13:01
Its expensiv and when you flee from combat (thinks that includes flee reaction) you lose the banner. Ill go Waywatchers all the way.

TheTrueSloth
24-05-2007, 13:18
True it is a lot of points, and waywatchers are highly efficient at what they do (prove to be a pain in the backside!). In fact the one thing that the scouts have over them is standard, musician, larger numbers and inproved march blocking potential.

'Course you would have to hug woods like a daemon or any cover for that matter.

It isn't really that viable to run say a unit of 5 or 6 with that standard is it?

Toodles

Franco
24-05-2007, 19:40
I didn't know that scouts could have a magic banner, but im probably wrong.
I would choose waywatchers though, much better and better looking!!!

Vattendroppe
24-05-2007, 20:24
It's a very common tactic, a real pain in the ass! But I would recommend to have it with a unit of waywatchers instead, just seems to work better.