PDA

View Full Version : Not sure what to do... (family holiday)

Wraith
09-08-2005, 16:08
One of my failures as a person is I'm some what of a procrastinator, and I'm typing this both as an aid to make my mind up as well as to hear (read) your opinions.

Problem: Do I go to Barcelona with my parents?

For

- Might be good for me to 'do something different'.
- I've never been to Barcelona.
- Flights, accomodation, and meals etc are paid for by parents.
- I wont be going on holiday otherwise and haven't been on holiday for years.
- "What if..." situation i.e. meet 'person X' at hotel and have a great time.
- Apart from my trips to the gym I'll be lonely and bored at home all week on my own which could be very bad for me going on my current state of mind.
- I'll have to do all the house hold chores on my own if I stay at home.

Against

- I have no interest in going to Madrid.
- I'll likely be (quickly) bored sight seeing (with my parents).
- I hate hot weather.
- I don't like spanish food -- every meal time will be a stress trying to order something 'plain'.
- I don't speak any spanish.
- Limited if any English TV in hotel.
- I don't sleep well away from my own bed.
- I don't and as such wont have any money to spend (I'm pretty much broke).
- I stress over things many people would consider small, from past experience being in another country doesn't help this.
- I don't get on with my father (personality and ideology clash).
- In some ways I feel a little old to be going on holiday with my parents -- I'll resent what will amount to me following them about for a week ( I'll have no interest to go about on my own).

It might seem clear cut as far as decisions go but one point isn't necessairly of equal... magnitude... as another -- the list that's longest wins is not really going to cut it.

Sojourner
09-08-2005, 16:17
How old are you?

I'd definitely say no. Stay home and have a few parties.

The boyz
09-08-2005, 16:18
I would personally stay at home. I am a bit of a boring bugger really when it comes to holidays. I hate the hot sun, the food when on holiday generally makes me ill and the beer is rubbish. I dont really like flying much niether. So I like to stay in good old Limey land and bask in the rain and cold all year round.

Sorry not much use really. Its up to you really if you want to go. I just dont really like going abroad, so I like to stay at home.

Thud
09-08-2005, 16:22
I have had the same "dilemma" myself.

And I stayed home. Never regretted it for a second. I had a blast. :)

x-esiv-4c
09-08-2005, 16:56
Same home and get really really drunk.

Get a webcam so we can all see too.

salty
09-08-2005, 17:02
Just been on my last ever family holiday and hated every minute of it. Don't go, stay home and have a party that lasts all week.

Salty :)

Wraith
09-08-2005, 17:24
How old are you?

I'd definitely say no. Stay home and have a few parties.

Hmm... yeah but --

"I don't and as such wont have any money to spend (I'm pretty much broke)."

A big house party is not really going to be happening to be fair.

Get a webcam so we can all see too.

:D Ha! If I set it up right you'd be able to see the entire garden.

x-esiv-4c
09-08-2005, 17:27
Bloody perfect. Stay at home and party mate...You know it to be true.

salty
09-08-2005, 18:15
Make it a "BYOB" party. You only have to pay for a dozen or so cans, tell everyone else to do the same, invite thirty people... voila!

Salty :)

Bmaxwell
09-08-2005, 18:39
If you don't live with your parents i would stay home but havening to clean up a party when ur half out is very hard as well.

just don;t get caught haveing the party if u do live with ur parents

x-esiv-4c
09-08-2005, 18:44
and make sure no one drops cable in your microwave....seriously.

Freak Ona Leash
09-08-2005, 18:48
And make sure no noe puts a dog or other small, furry animal in your microwave...seriously ;) But yeah, get drunk and then go to Wahammer World so we can watch you in a frame-by-frame of pure hilarious drunkeness.

Captain Brown
09-08-2005, 20:13
Wait a second...you have the opportunity to go to Madrid and have it all paid for...you do not get along with your father...who will be there with you.

One reason (ok several reasons but the theme is the same) to go.

The ladies of Spain!
Dark haired, tanned, friendly to those who try to speak Spanish and smile.
Not only that, it may tick off your father if you start meeting girls there.

Wraith
09-08-2005, 21:33
Last time I had a house party (a few years ago) I had people replacing chocolates in my advent calenda with pieces of chopped mushroom, people wandering around up stairs trying to get at my air rifle, people getting off with each other in the toilet, food used as projectile weapons, people getting high on my front step, people rearranging candels on my birthday cake so that the character featured on it had a large candel coming out of his groin...

***shudders***

The ladies of Spain!
Dark haired, tanned, friendly to those who try to speak Spanish and smile.
Not only that, it may tick off your father if you start meeting girls there.

Well, the meeting ladies is covered here -

"- "What if..." situation i.e. meet 'person X' at hotel and have a great time."

but is scuppered with this -

"- I don't and as such wont have any money to spend (I'm pretty much broke)."

If I was garunteed female interaction of course it'd be a different matter but it's unlikely to say the least. :(

Xisor
09-08-2005, 21:56
So you're not a big fan of the average house party then? :p

Ask your parents if you can get the money equivalent of the Holiday, but thus not trouble them with your presence, and allow them to be safe in the knowledge of no parties since you are the anti-party animal?

Xisor

Wraith
09-08-2005, 22:22
Ask your parents if you can get the money equivalent of the Holiday

Without going to far into it that's an absolute 'no, no' as far as my parent's are concered. ;)

...you are the anti-party animal?

Meh... I wouldn't say that rather I'd probably only invite 5-7 of my closer friends and it'd be more of a summer evening gathering than a ' house party'.

Lostanddamned
09-08-2005, 22:34
I'm 16 and I just went on my last family holiday and first holiday with friends, from now on I will save my own money and holiday either alone or with mates. This allows me to go to places I can't go with parents (surfing in Newquay, Amsterdam, etc) and discover new things that I wouldn't have done and seen before like leaving my campsite and going to another group of peoples party and proper surfing.

The one thing I did miss was the organisation element. With the parents it was always "today we are going to do" but with mates it was "what are me doing now?".

Gavmo
09-08-2005, 22:58
I once had a party when my parents went to Queensland. It took me 3 days to clean up.
It was also the best party ever! I had beer, heaps of room, mates getting sexual favours (not from me though), loud music and lesbians. :evilgrin: My mates still talk about it! You have to stay home. It is your duty to have a party. Dont worry about the cleaning, just have fun!!!

hairyman
09-08-2005, 23:04
My sister in law lives in Madrid, and I've been over there many times. It is a brilliant city.

Go, spend some of the time with your parents, and then try going off on your own. Visit the Prado - amazing. Visit the Reina Sophia (sp?) and see Picasso's Guernica (sp?) - amazing. Visit the royal palace and see the armoury - amazing. Go to Debod (ancient Egyptian temple)- amazing. Go for a tour around the Bernabau - best of the lot. These are things you will not very often get a chance to see for free.

Despite having been to Madrid more times than I've been to London, I still speak no more Spanish than "beer, please" (to my eternal shame), but never find this to be a problem and always love it there. The food's not all that different either, and you may find yourself more up for exploring the world of tapas after a few local beverages.....

See if you can blag some cash off your parents... even if it's a week pass on the tube and some drinking money. You can get pissed at home any time... but as Captain Brown says, you don't often get a free trip to one of Europe's best cities.

starlight
09-08-2005, 23:22
Regardless of your choice, make up your mind to have a good time. It seems that you're trying to choose the lesser of two bad choices. STOP IT RIGHT NOW. <--- Yup that's yelling in your face. :p

Until you decide to have a good time regardless of where you are, why bother choosing? Stay home, be miserable by yourself and don't trouble anyone else. On the other hand, if you're looking for a good time, you'll attract like minded people. So get out there and have a blast!

I'm not you, but if someone offered me a free trip, I'd go to Madrid and have a great time.

The only things you regret are the things that you didn't do.

Wraith
10-08-2005, 07:54
Thanks for the advice guys. :)

I made a mistake with the first post it's Barcelona and not Madrid... not sure why I typed Madrid I think I must have been watching a travel show or something on TV at the time.

I feel quite the idiot for typing the wrong city... :o

The only things you regret are the things that you didn't do.

:D Yeah, from past experience that's not a 100% universal rule but to an extent you have a point.

Sojourner
10-08-2005, 07:55
Barcelona is rubbish. I've been there - it's just full of football tat shops.

TitusAndronicus
10-08-2005, 09:19
Dude, are you KIDDING me?

Go.
Use it as a chance to find out what you have in common with your father.
Use it as a chance to see some historical perspective beyond your own.
Use it as a chance to try food you know you hate, and remember the ones that surprise you.
Use it as a chance to spend some time with your parents before they and you grow too old to do it again, even if they aren't the most exciting, they are your family and you will miss them when they're gone (I do.)
Use it as a chance to learn a smattering of the really important Spanish:
One beer, please. :)
Hi, I'm Soujurner! :cool:
I have to go now, my parents will be waking up... :cries:
and most important: One beer please! :)

Dude, life is just to short to spend it crabby and missing the bloody tv. Get out there and grab some while you can!

Or don't. Be and old lady and stay home with the rest of us sorry barstards!

Son of Morkai
10-08-2005, 09:40
Question #1: Are there GW or indy stores in Barcelona?

Um, that kind of sums up my questions, except ones involving open gaming hours and/or tournaments. Maybe something about conversion rates and prices too.

(No one take the above seriously. I know there are things in life other than GW. Like GWI and STG.)

Frankly, I don't like family trips unless I get to wear a sword strapped to my back at least half the time. They tend to dig into my drawing/painting/wasting-time-on-Warseer time too much, but I'll never pass up a good excuse to dress in armor and wave a sword around.

Wraith
10-08-2005, 11:12
Man... not sure what to do now, you all have good points... haven't got long to decide as they're trying to book the tickets and flights and will do so likely by end of tomorrow.

I can never make decisions, it must be one of the most infuriating character traits a person can have (for the person and the onlookers)... :(

Compyraptor
10-08-2005, 11:33
I'm in the exact same predicament (sp?) as you Wraith. My mum's friend lives in some remote spanish village and has invited us over for christmas. Now the idea's nice and all but I'm not quite sure if I want to spend my christmas day in someone else's house in a different country. I don't like hot weather either (is Spain hot at christmas time?).

Just do what your heart tell's you to do Wraith. If you want to stay home, stay home. Sorry if I wasn't much use, but I often find that listening to your feelings that lay deep down seem to help a lot.

hairyman
10-08-2005, 11:43
I can never make decisions, it must be one of the most infuriating character traits a person can have (for the person and the onlookers)... :(

Toss a coin?

Sai-Lauren
10-08-2005, 12:24
I'd personally say go for it, but get your own tourist guide book so you can set off on your own if your parents want to go somewhere you're not too bothered about going.

If you or your dad are at least slightly into football, see whether Barca are at home whilst you're out there, and try dropping them an email about ticket availablity, and where would be the best place to sit if you can get in.

It might not be the easiest thing to do, but...
|
|
\|/ ;)

Gaebriel
10-08-2005, 13:11
Come over, hop to Madrid, bring your models, and ask Ithiltaen (http://www.warseer.com/forums/member.php?u=977) or Capitán Sánchez (http://www.warseer.com/forums/member.php?u=1059) for a game. Or search for the other Warseer spaniards... You could ask for Barcelonians in the spanish thread.

Wraith
10-08-2005, 14:25
Thank you for all your help guys.

Just do what your heart tell's you to do Wraith. If you want to stay home, stay home. Sorry if I wasn't much use, but I often find that listening to your feelings that lay deep down seem to help a lot.

I can't listen to 'my heart' because it's mainly dominated by fear rather than curiosity -- I pretty much end up doing things because my mind says it's the best of a bad bunch.

Vberg
10-08-2005, 15:51
Im confused? In your post you said youre going to Barcalona yet over the course of the thread people seem to have gotten the impression your going to Madrid.

Which ever it is id go. The chance to go to Barcalona (or Madrid) all expenses paid dosent come up every day. Ive never been myself but i know id jump at the chance. Just make sure your parents know youll want to spend some time doing your own thing. Pick up a spanish phrase book and a tourist guide and see what there is to do. It could also be a chance for you and your father to get closer together to. If you like football take a tour of the Bernabau/Nou Camp and if possible see a game. If not share a beer sometime just you and him and discuss your differences.

At the end of the day id rather be miserable in Barcalona/Madrid than miserable at home. A change is a s good as a rest they say.