PDA

View Full Version : Squig Hoppers and Skirmish rule.

Vile Snotsuckle
26-05-2007, 00:14
Hopefully this question isn't as hard to answer as the "squig boiing" thread.

*cracks knuckles*

Ok, skirmishers need to be at least 1 inch away from other soldiers in the unit right? So, here lays the problem.

Lets say I have a unit of 5 squig hoppers, and I roll an 18 for one of them and all low numbers for the rest. In other words, there are some squig hoppers outside the 1 inch mark. What the heck am I suppose to do?

I looked in the rulebook and I looked in the Orc and Goblin book, and they don't talk about the problem.

How am I to have a cohesive skirmisher unit with unpredictable individual movement, that is, if they have individual movement. If I roll a 3d6 for the entire unit, then maybe I wont have a problem, right? Maybe thats how it is suppose to go.

Your thoughts?

Masque
26-05-2007, 00:16
You roll 3D6 just once for the entire unit.

Vile Snotsuckle
26-05-2007, 00:18
You roll 3D6 just once for the entire unit.

Ahh, thank you very much! Man, this thread wasn't even worth the space. I must be a n00b

DeathlessDraich
26-05-2007, 09:47
It's a conflict of 2 skirmisher rules:

1) Each skirmisher moves individually. Therefore you can roll individually

2) Each skirmisher cannot be more than 1" away from the nearest skirmisher. Therefore rolling individually might cause models to separate further than they are allowed to.

There is a possible way to incorporate the single dice roll:
Roll for all squigs simultaneously and the assign the dice rolls so that all the squigs will still be 1" apart after movement.

This will take such a long time that your opponent may well "Boing the table" as they say in Brooklyn and Belfast. :D

Sanjuro
26-05-2007, 11:29
You're joking, right? Tell me that isn't the correct way to move Squig Hoppers.

What with all the insane RAW interpretations we've had lately, I just can't be sure of anything anymore.

Festus
26-05-2007, 11:49
Yes, he is joking of course: Each Skirmisher is moved individually, this is true. But the value of M is the unit's value, not the individual Hopper's : So, it is one roll for the unit, then you move the Hoppers individually.

You should know by now that DDraich does this from time to time, the old funny bone that he is :D

FEstus

Atrahasis
26-05-2007, 14:10
Actually, DD is bringing up the point I made (in jest) the last time this came up - and that is models have a movement value, not units, so it can be argued that a roll is made for each individual hopper.

Sanjuro
27-05-2007, 10:24
You should know by now that DDraich does this from time to time, the old funny bone that he is :D

Yes you are right, I should know that, but something just went click in my brain from all the wierdness seen on this page since 7th came out. And as Atrahasis points out, it is not that far removed from the truth that it is actually funny - more like scary. ;)

Da GoBBo
27-05-2007, 21:37
Look at it like this then. Models in the unit get there characteristics from the same table on your army sheet, and its this table that is altered every turn. Therefor all the models in the unit move the same every turn.

Atrahasis
27-05-2007, 22:34
Look at it like this then. Models in the unit get there characteristics from the same table on your army sheet, and its this table that is altered every turn. Therefor all the models in the unit move the same every turn.

OK, if all models in the unit get their stats from teh same statline that is altered, what happens if I cast a spell granting a model in the unit M9 (as an example, I don't know of any spell that would actually do this)?

By your reckoning the entire unit would have movement 9, and that's complete rubbish.

Da GoBBo
27-05-2007, 22:40
Your missing the point, your spell doesn't effect a whole unit, but the statistics do. The only thing your spell would do is to let the model have a movement of 9, instead of the one in the profile.

BTW, Im not saying this is how it is, but since some people are set on misinterpreting most anything while it's very abvious what is goin on, just because they can, one must try other means of explaining stuff.

Atrahasis
27-05-2007, 22:43
Your missing the point, your spell doesn't effect a whole unit, but the statistics do.Statistics don't. Models have profiles, not units. 3d6" is not a constant determined each turn and applied across the unit, it is a random amount.

Sometimes we just have to accept the rules are counter to good sense and move on - using tenuous arguments to justify sensible decisions is folly.

Da GoBBo
27-05-2007, 22:44
actually, it's the most important rule, written in the very beginnig of the rule book.

Atrahasis
27-05-2007, 22:47
actually, it's the most important rule, written in the very beginnig of the rule book.

I'm not getting into this again, but page three does not say what most people think it does.

DeathlessDraich
28-05-2007, 10:37
Pg3?, of the rulebook or the Sun?
What does it say? :p

Atrahasis
28-05-2007, 14:09
Page 3 says if a rule is unclear to agree on a solution with your opponent.

All too often "unclear" is interpreted as "unsavoury".

DeathlessDraich
28-05-2007, 14:31
Page 3 says if a rule is unclear to agree on a solution with your opponent.

All too often "unclear" is interpreted as "unsavoury".

Too true unfortunately.

T10
28-05-2007, 23:24
Statistics don't. Models have profiles, not units. 3d6" is not a constant determined each turn and applied across the unit, it is a random amount.

Sometimes we just have to accept the rules are counter to good sense and move on - using tenuous arguments to justify sensible decisions is folly.

Yup.

I figure the individual Squig Hopper models have a common Movement expression rather than value. When time comes to move the unit, the unit will be making one move based on that.

Since you will always be moving the entire unit there is no cause to evaluate the individual expressions.

Uh, anyways: Go Squigs! :)

-T10

Da GoBBo
30-05-2007, 20:36
Well, I'd say that first of all a rulesforum is supposed to answer questions. Sometimes this RAW thingymanie can't answer a question and one must resort to other means if one still doesn't understand how things work. A good educator knows there are at least 4 ways of explaining things, RAW only leaves room for 1 which means 4 are only part of truth. If it helps people understand though, I wouldn't call that folly.

Again, I don't say I the best job at that, and I definitly don't say I gave a RAW interpretation, but it ís a different angle. I you make a decent army list, each unit uses 1 profile, unless you a champ or a steed. So from that point of view each goblin in the same mob uses the same profile.

Vile Snotsuckle
02-06-2007, 17:17
Whenever there are unclear rules while playing, we roll! On a 4,5,6, it goes my way! On a 1,2,3, the other person's way.