PDA

View Full Version : How to beat wood elves with ogers CAN IT BE DONE!!!

Grudge Bearor
26-05-2007, 02:26
How to beat wood elves with ogers CAN IT BE DONE!!! because i see the really cool army book and i think to my self have i ever seen a GOOD ORGE player (Not NOOOB) because they usally are and i want to do them but all the noob armys keep me down:( expecially when they play wood elves any shooting army and lots of numbers armt EG SKAVEN so can it be done??

kiron
26-05-2007, 05:36
How to beat wood elves with ogers CAN IT BE DONE!!! because i see the really cool army book and i think to my self have i ever seen a GOOD ORGE player (Not NOOOB) because they usally are and i want to do them but all the noob armys keep me down:( expecially when they play wood elves any shooting army and lots of numbers armt EG SKAVEN so can it be done??

Heck yes, take about 3 rhinox calvary, millions of gnoblars, a tyrant with tenderiser and ignore terrain item, 2 butchers for magic res., and some bull ogres and ur set to go.

Grimtuff
26-05-2007, 18:14

:confused:
What's an "Orge"?
What's an "Oger"?

Learn to type correctly and not in text speak then we may be able to help.

KingGato
26-05-2007, 23:09
I'm not sure that commenting on a user's spelling is all that helpful.

If you're interested in more ogre tactics, particularly from experianced players, you might check out http://www.ogrestronghold.com/forum/

Frankly
26-05-2007, 23:59
Whats all this noob talk crap, man I hate that, especially when its coming from someone who's "new" to a subject and has no idea himself.

Anyway, ogres have some very nice mobility within its ranks it can get units around to your opponents flank and rear pretty quickly, this is the bane of MSU shooty lists. So imho ogres stand a fare chance against ranged armies.

Arnizipal
27-05-2007, 01:00
How to beat Wood Elves with Ogres?
Hold them by their feet. There are less teeth at that end.

nieto666
27-05-2007, 05:31
:confused:
What's an "Orge"?
What's an "Oger"?

Learn to type correctly and not in text speak then we may be able to help.
:wtf:
Hey man there is no reason to go after the guys typo's!! This isnt grammer school or anything. Im pretty sure everyone else reading this thread got the idea of what he is talking! Oh and yes ogres can beat the tar out of woodies, i speak from experiance tehy've knocked the dog crape out me on more then one occasion:eek:

heretics bane
27-05-2007, 12:06
woodies suck as CC and orgers are damn fast and deadly in combat so use you speed to knock the c**p out of them

Mozzamanx
27-05-2007, 12:17
Actually, Woodies have some of the nastiest CC around- Wardancers, Dryads, Wild Riders.... The list goes on.

Also, because of the move-and-fire bonus they get, you dont actually gain that much from getting behind them either. Easiest way is to either magic-spam them, or swarm them with gnoblars and just throw stuff at them.

Lord_Byron
27-05-2007, 18:20
No. Not against a talented wood elf player with a solid list. Not at all. Play your heart out and be proud of a draw.

KingGato
27-05-2007, 20:47
I'm not so sure I'd agree with "No, the best you can do is a draw", but the fact is it is one of the harder match ups Ogres have, if not the hardest.

Bull
27-05-2007, 21:48
In my experiance as an Ogre player woodies have the potential to be a serious threat, but often never turn into one.

Dryads are the only real threat in cc because of their higher toughness and ward save stops you from killing too many of them, but like everything else charge them with 2 units to turn them into a single long line turns them into timber.

The archers don't tend to move but you do need to worry about the extra strength up close and they will get 2 rounds off at you (one within 15" one on the charge), this can hurt, but a single ogre can take out a whole unit of archers. Also I use Scragg so take them out with a couple (I have 4) of Gorgers.

Not man sized so if they have a unit of Waywatchers they turn into a more accurate scout unit.

Seriously, Wood Elves are a very beatable army with Ogres and I haven't even started on the Ogre magic.

Da GoBBo
27-05-2007, 22:04
Yes, you can kill archers. Woodelves still very much outmanouvre you though, so it's not as easy as you say it's gonna be. Don't count on you bein the to charge em.

Bull
28-05-2007, 05:32
Yeah but if you have them in blocks of 4 then you find that their lack of static combat res is going to crush them as you will usually have 9 attacks no matter where they come from and their low toughness leads to alot of death.

Also Ogres are faster and with 6 units it's very very hard to outmaneuver an ogre army.

Mawchild
28-05-2007, 10:37
I think this is one of those match ups that can be very scenary dependent.

Gnoblar skirmish screen and gorgers are the way to go and if points allow it maneaters with great wpns for dealing with treekin preferably with a rune maw battlestandard and a disposable unit of gnoblars nearby. Ironguts suped up with gut magic and a tyrant/bruiser will have to suffice otherwise.

Scraplaunchers or leadbelchers with either trollguts or toothcracker for dealing with archers. Plus some rhinox cav because they're just too cool.

Don't complain when they start creating woods out of nowhere because its free cover.

Remember to look for units that are near table edges because if you can just beat them in one round of combat then they have to flee due to the fear rule, and you want them off the board because otherwise they will just rally next turn thanks to their high Ld.

Danil
28-05-2007, 12:58
I've just started a OG army (battalion + one box bulls)
and now im wondering How to field my bulls. The first unit put together was 6 Bulls with Full Command Lookout Gnoblar and x-handweapon.

P.S sorry for a bit of hijacking here

sun tzu
28-05-2007, 14:08
A good wood elf player will win 4 times out 5 Vs a equally good Ogre player but an average Ogre player will win 4 times out 5 Vs a equally good wood elf player.

it's a very common match up at our club.

DeathlessDraich
28-05-2007, 14:41
WE can at least draw with any opponents if there are 3 woods or more as terrain, including the woodland ambush.

Terrain is vital against WE.

suntzu - Both the WE and Ogre player at our club wholeheartedly agree. The calibre of players matter but the good WE player can win against most opponents.

Avian
28-05-2007, 14:49
The first unit put together was 6 Bulls with Full Command Lookout Gnoblar and x-handweapon.
This is not a good unit. I'm personally quite fond of 4 Bulls with AHW, standard and bellower for 184 pts. Units of 3 Bulls with no upgrades other than a bellower for 105 pts are also nice and useful.

TheTrueSloth
28-05-2007, 16:41
This is not a good unit. I'm personally quite fond of 4 Bulls with AHW, standard and bellower for 184 pts. Units of 3 Bulls with no upgrades other than a bellower for 105 pts are also nice and useful.

115. Sorry :o

Anyways, that combo I found to be highly effective to boot (both of them). The basic bulls are great for baiting charges or even being ignored. The 4 man units...I used to run a lot of standards in my list, but now I have to say I wouldn't run so many anymore and spend the points for bellowers. But if you have the points spare, a few standards never hurt ;)

Woodies Vs Ogres though is a rough one, it really is. ogres have Maneaters (they can work, but you can't rely on them), Gnoblar scouts (again, not to rely on, but can help a bit to protect the ogres for say a turn or two).

I'd be tempted to grab some Yhetees, leadbelchers, a bunch of Bulls with additional hand weapons and bellowers, a Butcher with bangstick and a Bruiser with GW, Wyrdstone Necklace or simliar. though the Mawseeker/Jade Lion combo is pretty effective, just a bit pricey and risky. Seeing treekin wound on 5's though is pretty funny :D.

I'd also say Rhinox Cavalry, but I can never remember their stats.

Other than that, alongside the bangstick something like powerstones could be handy to overpower them in the magic phase and get those awesome Gut Magic spells off though.

Toodles

sun tzu
29-05-2007, 02:37
A good wood elf player will win 4 times out 5 Vs a equally good Ogre player but an average Ogre player will win 4 times out 5 Vs a equally good wood elf player.

it's a very common match up at our club.

I forgot to add that the size of game is very important too in this match up.

I would think the tipping point is around 2.5kpts, below that the elves have the advantage above that the Ogre player has more of a chance.

(this would be asuming a 6' by 4' table)