PDA

View Full Version : New Player - 2000pts Dark Elves

BlakLanner
26-05-2007, 07:01
I am new to WHFB and am planning on starting a DE army. This is what I have come up with and would like your opinions.

2000 Pts - Dark Elves Roster - Experimental

1 Dark Elf Noble @ 149 Pts
General; Sea Dragon Cloak; Shield
Cold One
Sword of Battle
Blood Armor

1 Sorceress @ 206 Pts
Level 2 Upgrade
Cold One
Dispel Scroll
Seal of Ghrond

1 Sorceress @ 196 Pts
Level 2 Upgrade
Cold One
Dispel Scroll
Talisman of Protection

5 Cold One Knights @ 190 Pts
Full Command

15 Dark Elf Warriors @ 145 Pts
Full Command; Shield

14 Dark Elf Warriors @ 145 Pts
Full Command; Shield

10 Corsairs @ 125 Pts
Full Command

10 Executioners @ 185 Pts
Full Command
Banner of Murder

10 Dark Elf Warriors @ 120 Pts
Repeater Crossbow; Shield

4 Reaper Bolt Thrower @ 400 Pts

Total Roster Cost: 1981

The only thing I think I might be missing are some Dark Riders, which show up in my 3000pt list. Any input is appreciated.

Archaon
26-05-2007, 08:50
1 Dark Elf Noble @ 149 Pts
General; Sea Dragon Cloak; Shield
Cold One
Sword of Battle
Blood Armor

Ok.. not too expensive and decent punch. He deal quite a bit more damage with different weapons like the Draich of Dark Power of the Gauntlet of power but equipping him like that would place him a good deal above 200 points.

1 Sorceress @ 206 Pts
Level 2 Upgrade
Cold One
Dispel Scroll
Seal of Ghrond

Way too expensive for a scroll caddy/ban mage
Level 1 is good enough and remove the Cold One.. she has to test Stupidity every turn and fate is cruel that you'll fail that test when you least need it
If you want her to be mobile place her on a standard horse otherwise stick her in an infantry unit which you keep out of combat or run to the closest cover terrain and remain there out of sight

Same goes for the 2nd mage

5 Cold One Knights @ 190 Pts
Full Command

Maybe 6 so you can take a loss or two without running the risk of the unit becoming worthless too soon.
Stick either the War Banner in them or the Banner of Murder for faster attack speed

15 Dark Elf Warriors @ 145 Pts
Full Command; Shield

Too small to be an effective defense force.. you need to have the full combat bonus from the start and maybe even a few models extra to take losses before giving up a bonus though that would make such a mediocre (low armor, only T3) unit really expensive

Boost them to at least 20 if you want to use them on the defense

10 Corsairs @ 125 Pts
Full Command

Good flank chargers though remove the command save for the champion.. this unit will rarely survive the battle and even a moderate charge by a bigger or better unit will break them giving your opponent bonus points for captured standard.
I use them with 12 men in a 6 wide formation.. much fun. Keep them.

10 Executioners @ 185 Pts
Full Command
Banner of Murder

Way too expensive for what they have to do.. they are dangerous so the opponent will shoot them if possible and they can't take shooting very well. If they break from shooting (can happen) you just lost almost 200 points.
The same advice rgarding the command group also applies here.. use the Banner of Murder on the Cold Ones.

Not a big fan of them.. too expensive for what they do for my taste but if ypu want them use them. The best defense unit for the DE

4 Reaper Bolt Thrower @ 400 Pts

Prepare for some sour looks when you plunk down 4 RBTs in 2000 points.. this is what many people rightfully proclaim powergaming but then they are very weak when caught in close combat and many armies have access to scouts, flyers, special rules that let them appear near the RBTs so mine rarely last the entire game.

Just space them out so if one is charged in the side and destroyed the overrun move won't catch a second one immediately.
Don't place them in one line too.. they need to be able to cover each other and if they are in line they may block line of sight.

Good luck.. i hope i helped you.

the vicar
30-05-2007, 09:23
Like Archaon, I'd drop the Cold Ones from both Sorceresses. Also, consider taking out the Talisman of Protection and putting in either the Darkstar Cloak or the Tome of Furion.

Why not upgrade your Noble to a Highborn? Better stats, and worth the cost.

Likewise, bump up one of your spearmen units to 20. It used to be that I never played with the spearmen because I thought they sucked. Then I increased the number of them. Now they're my solid center. They last a goodly while (nobody likes seeing Dark Elves in numbers, even if they are just spearmen). If I were you, seeing as you'll be taking those points out of your other spearman unit (probably), I'd go ahead and get rid of it entirely, and beef up your Corsair unit. It has the single best probability of standing its ground in the face of shooting, what with the Sea-Dragon Cloaks. Consider using it to advance with.

Otherwise, it's a solid list. A little too heavy on the shooting, perhaps, but that's just my own opinion.

Another consideration would be to drop two of your Bolt Throwers and replacing them with two Chariots. God are those Chariots beautiful to behold. Especially if you can get off a dual charge. I'd recommend against just one though. Definitely go with two, if you're going to go with any.