PDA

View Full Version : Formation Question

Paluke
26-05-2007, 10:23
Hi everyone,

I'm new to WHFB (bought "the battle for skull pass" boxed set).

I'm aquainted with some of the rules due to the fact that i've been playing Mordheim for a few years.

I've got a question about the regiments formation.

It says that you can have multiple ranks and rows and stuff. but how do you termine how you want to set up?

for example in the box i got a regiment of 12 dwarf warriors (including a command group)

x = dwarf 1 = flagbearer 2 = musician 3 = veteran

i've seen pictures of long line formation like this:

x 1 2 3 x x x x x x x x

but also seen

x 1 2 3 x x
x x x x x x

the rulesbook state you can have multiple rows behind eachother but if you can make them equal you have to. and only the latest row can have a few less. command group always up front.

that's all clear to me, but when deployed does your regiment stick to that formation? or can they go from a long stretched line to a box type of formation? Because in my point of view it could be an advantage to sometimes have a long line (for more b2b contact) or sometimes a small line (for less b2b contact)

and what about "folding"?

if you have something like this

x = dwarf y = goblin *=empty field

**********YYYYY
**********YYYYY
**********YYYYY
*******xxxXXXXXXxxxx

can the x "fold" around the edges to flank?

like this:

***************x
*********xYYYYYx
*********xYYYYYx
*********xYYYYYx
**********XXXXX

Sorry for the million question approach :)

Hope you can help me!

Paluke

Festus
26-05-2007, 10:39
Hi

You can change the formation you adopted during deployment by certain manoeuvres, like reform or change formation.

There is no lapping 'round anymore in the current edition, but you may change your formation in a combat under certain cirscumstances.

BRB (Rulebook), p.12 ff. and p.46

Festus

Griefbringer
26-05-2007, 10:40
that's all clear to me, but when deployed does your regiment stick to that formation? or can they go from a long stretched line to a box type of formation? Because in my point of view it could be an advantage to sometimes have a long line (for more b2b contact) or sometimes a small line (for less b2b contact)

You can change the formation during the game - see the rules on page 14 of the rulebook.

As for the "folding", it is not allowed in the current rules (in the earlier versions however there was a "lapping around" rules that allowed you to do that, but it got removed).

Paluke
26-05-2007, 12:01
Thanks all for the replies! they've been very helpful!