PDA

View Full Version : me? a night goblin?

nurgle_boy
09-08-2005, 19:25
seems like quite an odd thing to post, but it occured to me earlier in the week that you can go costumed to games day. i considered a halfling, but i diddt know how to make big feet, so then it occured to me.

a NIGHT GOBBO!!

if i can get some black robes (easy! ill just buy some black cloth and get stitching) make myself a steepled hat (not so easy, but theres nothing i cant do with a few sticks...), make a spear and shield, (off to homebase to buy a broom handle, and ill use something for a non lethal spearhead, as for the shield, a flat saucepan top could make a gobbo worthy buckler) and use a halloween witches nose and chin, and paint my face green.

would it work, and more importently, would it look good?
and it would have a use other than games day! i play savage orcs and night gobbos, and surely gork (or maybe mork) would favour my luck ad rolls during a game if i look like a greenie!

if the spear would be classed as a weapon, i can whip up a staff and be a shaman.

so, any opinions, or help on making it welcome, and if this is in the wrong forum, please move it

Tom - Heretic
09-08-2005, 19:31
Don't do it. You'll regret it if you do.

t-tauri
09-08-2005, 19:53
Night goblins are fed mushrooms and bullied by larger greenskins. Sounds ideal.

nurgle_boy
10-08-2005, 09:37
well, now all i need to do is get enough black clothes cheaply (asda!) hack them up, and sew them back together as robes.

yay!

Jedi152
10-08-2005, 09:46
Be sure to post pics if you do!

Me? I've never been a fan of dressing up at GD. I used to groan when Chris Bone used to dress up as Commisar Bone and go around agitating all the kiddies...

nurgle_boy
10-08-2005, 11:11
eh, im not a big fan of dressing up, but im a night goblin fanatic (pun intended :p ) and to be a night goblin shaman for a day... twould be mighty fun...

Master Fulgrim
10-08-2005, 11:45
Well, do what ever you like.

But i can remember when i saw the "winners" of a german GDs disguisecontest. They were disguised as Catachans and looked just stupid...

Fulgrim

Mikhaila
10-08-2005, 12:53
I'f your going to dress up, go all out, and it will be a much better time for you.
A decent costume looks cool, but a half assed one is just something hot to wear all day.

For the robes, you need to get a heavy cotton cloth, and make sure it's already black, you don't want to be adding color, as it will need a lot of time in repeated washings or it will run. Easiest thing to do is make a large, black, T tunic. If you can find anyone doing mideival recreation, (SCA), they can help you with it easily. The basic of it, is to fold the cloth twice, once vertically, and once horizontally. This represents one half of your robe, the long fold goes straight down your body. You need to then mark where you want to cut the sleeve and outside seam. Cut through all 4 layers of cloth along the same line, and then sew it up. You should end up with a very baggy t shirt that goes down to your knews, with wide long sleeves. Tie this up around your waist with a bit of rope. Take an extra bit of black clothe, and make the poncho/hood that they all wear. The loos baggy clothing will look better than tight modern stuff.

nurgle_boy
10-08-2005, 14:53
i was thinking of going cheap, but making it look good all the same.

i was gonna head of to asda or matalan, and spend about 15 on black T-shirts (thats about 8-10 of em!) cut them up a bit, and then sew them together to make the tunic/robes.

i dont want to have to spend a bomb on it, as the only bomb i have to spend, is a roll of caps.

in other words, i have very little money...

Brother Frog
10-08-2005, 20:08
You're pretty much banned from dressing up these days. Anything that looks like military gear is a no-no, as is armour.

Shockingly, you are still allowed to be Goth...

barbarella
10-08-2005, 20:10
A robe won't cost you 15, you'll need 2-3 metres depending how tall you are of plain black cotton, if you have an abakhan (sp) fabrics near you, check them out it should be about 2 a metre and it will look better and be a damn site easier to make a robe out of than a load of t shirts!.

Hideous Loon
10-08-2005, 21:19
But a Night Gobbo's robes would not be a single piece, but, like NB said, stitched together by several pieces of cloth. I only worry on the fact that t-shirt cloth might be too flimsy, but oh, well.

The best participators of a dressup contest were Catachans? Didn't they realize that they have to workout for at least two years before they are as beefy as real Catachans? Couldn't they at least have been Cadians?

Pertinax
10-08-2005, 21:21
You're pretty much banned from dressing up these days. Anything that looks like military gear is a no-no, as is armour.
Quite so. I just read the rules on the back of the ticket, and was amazed at the restrictions.

Amngst others:
Must be designed with heath and safety regulations in mind.
May not incorporate IP that is not owned by GW.
Must not be compromised in whole or part, of real (or realistic) equipment from any military unit in existance after 1900. This especially applies to the use of camoflague clothes, helmets, etc...

Brother Frog
10-08-2005, 21:46
May not incorporate IP that is not owned by GW.

I wonder if that includes the stuff that GW has stolen from other companies. I'm thinking about things like the blatant ripping off of other people's work that became the Tau and Tyranids... ;)

Pertinax
11-08-2005, 07:36
What about the LOTR things? Where does the IP rest with that?

Brother Frog
11-08-2005, 08:52
I would say that LotR falls under the "IP not wholy owned by GW", so no. :(

Pertinax
11-08-2005, 09:38
I'm going to go as a gamer who hasn't washed for 6 months. It is not IP, and it is inspired by GW products. ;)

Pravus
11-08-2005, 10:28
Alternatively, might I suggest that this years attendees come as socially capable individuals with a strong sense of personal hygiene.

I think we'd all appreciate that.

Oh yes, and could the group that came as Utterly Irritating Sycophants last year come up with another theme. You only just made it out of several seminars alive; think of the Health and Safety issues in your costumes!!

Brother Frog
11-08-2005, 12:12
I'm going to go as a gamer who hasn't washed for 6 months. It is not IP, and it is inspired by GW products. ;)

GW have that trademarked, and I believe they are going to copyright it soon... ;)

vforvenator
12-08-2005, 15:16
Don't do it. You'll regret it if you do.Is that from experience? And if not, why so?
Nurgle Boy, a saucepan lid may look too small for a goblin, maybe a dustbin lid (beaten iron?) - if you don't own one just nick it.
Or if you're good with DIY, saw the joints off a wooden toilet lid and nail a handle on one side of it - wood may be more appropriate, and paint it black with a moon or something on the other side.

Pertinax
12-08-2005, 17:56
I remember at one GD, there was a kid that can't have been more than 12, running around as a goblin shaman (I think it was).

He was wearing full green body paint, a pair of green speedos with a loin cloth over them, and a few feathers in his hair. He also had a staff.

I remember everybody who I asked if they had seen him saying "Yup!", and "Poor kid, that must be so cold!", and "I think he was set up to do it for a bet!".

nurgle_boy
12-08-2005, 20:04
well, if i cant pull off the night goblin-ness, ill just paint the mark of nurgle on my head, and up my arms, and tape my chins up, so a look a little like the nurgle lor on foot, and then make a nurgly-like staff...

im thinking superglue and dead flies...

Forgotmytea
01-09-2005, 10:50
Sounds good. I'm just going for the simple custom-made white shirt with "FORGOTMYTEA" on it so you'll all recognise me :D. I was thinking of dressing up as my avatar :rolleyes:, but then I realised how stupid I'd look.... :p

-Forgotmytea

plasmadaemon
01-09-2005, 11:13
I might a buy a t-shirt with a flaming daemon on it...... or just make a custom shirt too.

I wonder if i can bling bling myself up and not look like a retarted 14-year old....

nurgle_boy
09-09-2005, 09:25
too late PD, too late :D

im not sure if ill have a costume ready at all, at the rate its going, so i may have to do a custom shirt...
itll probebly look more like a custom **** though...

eh...