PDA

View Full Version : Sylvanian Heraldry

Saben
27-05-2007, 06:56
Does anyone know what Sylvanian Heraldry looks like or what colours it includes? I love the idea of a Von Carstein list with hordes of Undead fighting along the loyal crossbowmen, free companies, etc. The coolest thing about Sylvania is that the Von Carsteins really are the legitimate rulers of it!

So for painting up some Empire in Sylvanian colours is there any official colour scheme I should stick to? Otherwise I'm thinking some variant of purple, bone and black. Or maybe a variant of the Stirland colours. Anything official? Or any suggestions?

DarthBinky
27-05-2007, 07:34
The best I can come up with is in the color pics section of the VC army book, there's a picture of a Von Carstein and some of his army. The color scheme seems to be mainly red but with a good deal of black and gold too. You can see about half of a banner in the background.

Saben
27-05-2007, 07:47
Yeah, I saw that. But the way I see it, Skeletons aren't really the type to go out and colour co-ordinate what they wear. Most likely the heraldry on the skellies comes from what they were burried in. If the army is being raised in the middle of Averland than more than likely the skellies would be wearing Averland heraldry. And as for the Von Carsteins themselves- they dress to look stylish- heraldry is for those below them!

Thanks for the reference, though. I just want to see some actual fleshies in Sylvanian colours, otherwise I think I will come up with my own scheme.

Falkman
27-05-2007, 09:22
If you mean the heraldry that was used by the soldiers of Sylvania when it was still a working state of the Empire, the colors were black and purple mainly, with some red thrown in here and there.
The Army of Sylvania (vampire style), being compromised of the corpses of these soldiers, naturally still fly these colours.

gortexgunnerson
27-05-2007, 11:10
I think the banners of VCs are green and purple quarters if i remember correctly from my Storm of Chaos days. Also slightly picky on the first post but I think by technical standards Sylvanian is owed by one of the Elector counts. But then you can use the phase you can prie it from my hands when Im dead.

Storm of chaos list is very good for using and gives a good army with punch, although the tendency is to play with wolves instead of skeleton as you get a vastly superior troops for the same points! But you need around 80 for a 2000 point army

Saben
27-05-2007, 12:21
Excellent, Falkman, I was thinking of black and purple anyway. Green as a tertiary colour on banners, trimmings, etc sounds good, too, gortex.

As for the Empire owning Sylvania, well, technically those Stirland bastards may have power over it, at least as far as the Empire's concerned. But as far as my Von Carstein loyalists go, they'd much rather serve the legitimate rulers (vampires or not!) of the land than be forced to serve the Empire. Either that or the army is themed around when the Von Carsteins still were in charge. Basically, though, I'll either use the SoC list or the back of the book list. I just want an army of men and undead, all loyal to the Von Carsteins (and painted appropriately!)

Thanks for the info guys. I'll see what I can find.

Nineswords
27-05-2007, 13:18
There is a WD article in issue 291 about Sylvanian Heraldry. But yes, its basically Black, Purple and Dead Roses/Skeletons etc.

Griefbringer
27-05-2007, 13:36
Basically, though, I'll either use the SoC list or the back of the book list. I just want an army of men and undead, all loyal to the Von Carsteins (and painted appropriately!)

Another choice would to use the basic VC list and use all your rare choices for human Dogs of War.

Saben
27-05-2007, 15:17
Interesting idea, Grief.

And thanks Nine, I'll follow that up.

EvC
27-05-2007, 22:41
The people of Sylvania do indeed happily follow the von Carsteins, who they see as the rightful rulers of the land; the Elector of Stirland technically owns it all but there are few who will willingly travel to Sylvania to run the place!

Black, purple, withered roses, keys (Unlocking the secret to immortiality perhaps), skeletons with an air of nobility. I wish I still had my WD291, such a good resource for von Carsteins!

Grimlock
28-05-2007, 19:33
i'm making a slyvania empire army they had there colour scheme in an old white dwarf its half black half dark puple.and bits of red. there flag had a lady with a key and sigmars hammer on it but after vlad came along it turned to a skelington with a key

vinush
29-05-2007, 17:38
I used red and black before that WD came out, because it suited the VonC colours better.

So what I've decided is they are from Drakenhof, and that's their regimental colour variant.

\/ince.

Aguirre
04-06-2007, 11:56
Does anyone know what Sylvanian Heraldry looks like or what colours it includes? I love the idea of a Von Carstein list with hordes of Undead fighting along the loyal crossbowmen, free companies, etc. The coolest thing about Sylvania is that the Von Carsteins really are the legitimate rulers of it!

So for painting up some Empire in Sylvanian colours is there any official colour scheme I should stick to? Otherwise I'm thinking some variant of purple, bone and black. Or maybe a variant of the Stirland colours. Anything official? Or any suggestions?

I've painted some converted skeletons and zombies in imperial uniforms, I used mainly black and purple for the clothes and red for details. Metal parts were painted with a mixture of chainmail and chaos black, while for heraldry I suggest skulls , wolves, bat wings, roses(red or black) and stuff like that