PDA

View Full Version : 1000 points Sylvian empire army

Grimlock
27-05-2007, 16:47
The nemesis crown has given me an excuse to start my sylvania based vampire killing empire army would like some advise on whats hot and whats not. heres what i plan to use,

Captain
Stake (HW)
Full plate armour
High powered crossbow (handgun)
Shield
Sigil of sigmar =85

Captain
Stake (HW)
Full plate armour
Shield
Sigil of sigmar =75

25 swordsmen
Full command =175

25 halberdiers
Full command =145

20 spearmen
Full command =120

10 crossbowmen =80

10 crossbowmen =80

10 crossbowmen =80

10 crossbowmen =80

Mortor (trebuchet) =75

No handguns thank you the only reason my general has one is because i can't give him a crossbow. My army is based on being old school and set in the old ways. Any thoughts?

RavenBloodwind
28-05-2007, 03:26
Just some quick thoughts.

At 1000 points your units of infantry are plenty large even if you're worried about outnumbering fear-causers.

One housekeeping issue: you have 2 characters with the sigil of sigmar and can only have one of each item (other than power stones and dispel scrolls) in an army.

What you're missing are:
1) Magic defense. If you really plan to fight vampire counts you are unlikely to survive even with all your shooting in a relatively small game. If you're making a 'take all comers' list some magic defense is still important. A warrior priest might be handy although you won't get his prayer off often without some supporting casting to draw out dispel dice. A wizard is never a bad idea, lore of fire could work well as could shadows. If you take a wizard I'd certainly give him at least one dispel scroll as well. VC magic is highly annoying.
2) Detachments. No empire infantry unit is complete until it has its detachments to provide flanking charges to negate the opponents rank bonuses and maybe some missile troops for that supporting shooting when receiving a charge. I'd suggest making crossbows 3 detachments of 8 men, one for each infantry block. With the spare points pick up some small units of free company or halbards for melee detachments. They don't have to be huge to be effective, just stay >5 models until the fight is joined.

Grimlock
28-05-2007, 18:44
it does say about sigil of sigmar "the symbol of sigmar may take many forms.." i assumed from that you could have more than one. nevrmind. i'll swap the second captain for a level 1 light wizard (light magic to combat vc) with wizards staff. should be able to cast one spell a turn with 3 dice. do shots for detachments count towards the combat reasult?