PDA

View Full Version : BaneBlade

Black Templars fan
27-05-2007, 17:36
I've heard alot about the IG BaneBlade tank just how good is this thing?

Axel
27-05-2007, 17:39
Frighteningly effective and frighteningly expensive. You can easily field three Leman Russ for one Baneblade, and both field roughly the same firepower.

ImperialFist18
27-05-2007, 17:40
Considering everything in the IG army isn't very good, I don't think it's safe to trust that the BaneBlade is good also.

Stella Cadente
27-05-2007, 17:53
Considering everything in the IG army isn't very good, I don't think it's safe to trust that the BaneBlade is good also.

HAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA HAHAHA

Oh god, that was hilarious, I almost believed you, oh dear me, your a funny funny person

the Baneblade IS awesome, the amount of punishment it can take and dish out in return is horrendous, BUT it does become a bullet magnet very quickly, so it may not last too long, but it just means the other 100 Guardsmen kill the enemy.

if you want summit thats between a Baneblade and a russ, the Macharius is good, still has good firepower, and its only half the cost

untimention
27-05-2007, 18:02
its darn good. but its like the land raider... lots points and heavy weapons can take it out. Only suitable for large games.... like alot big expensive things that kill

Slaaneshi Slave
27-05-2007, 18:11
Well lts see, a Str9 AP2 Battle Cannon, a Demolisher Cannon, 3x Twinlinked Heavy Bolters, 2 Lascannons an Autocannon and a pintle heavy Stubber, all of which may be fired at different targets, and all may be fired every turn. It can ignore most terrain, those they do test for they can't be immobalised by, and you have to blow it up 3 times for it to actually die. Pretty powerful, if you ask me.

Bookwrak
27-05-2007, 18:21
It's a fine tank, definitly worth the 600+ points you'll pay for it, putting out about 600+points worth of performance.

Bloodknight
27-05-2007, 19:19
I think it´s still a bit undergunned for over 600 points. I have fielded one several times in battles of 2500 points and it never made its points back, but it didn´t get killed more than once, either, most of the time it only got heavily damaged. In terms of effectivity there is better stuff, but in terms of coolness you´d be hard pressed to find something better ;)

Slaaneshi Slave
27-05-2007, 19:21
but in terms of coolness you´d be hard pressed to find something better ;)

Two Baneblades? Or two Baneblades supported by a Titan? :p

xibo
27-05-2007, 19:54
Two Baneblades? Or two Baneblades supported by a Titan? :p

Or a Shadowsword?
Also, 3 Vultures + 3 Valkyries on their side don't distribute too much damage, but can soak up everything as long as they're flying... and they are cool, especially if one of them decides to 'park' in the khornate deployment zone...

Morris
27-05-2007, 20:06
It is cool, its big, its uber. Its £100!! Otherwise go for it :D

Leman Russ's I'd like to point out are the best tank in the game

DigitsDavid
27-05-2007, 21:06
Can it be shaken/stunned? If so, it's a lot of firepower to be tied up.

Darkhorse
27-05-2007, 21:07
I'm planning on taking a Stormblade.
The BB is OK but as a model I find the armament a bit "busy".
The Shadowsword on the otherhand makes use of titan class weaponry, but is effectively undergunned, especially for 40K scale engagements, like the basilisk it's really for long range engagements best represented at Epic scale.
Thus the compromise piece of the Stormblade; titan grade weaponry with some more flexibility than the single ordnance shot.

Bloodknight
27-05-2007, 21:10
@Digits David: not really, it can get "Driver stunned" and "weapon crew stunned" results for each weapon.

Slaaneshi Slave

Yes it can, but if it is shaken its a single weapon which can't shoot (its got 2 AP2 pie plates, so not a huge loss), and if it is stunned then all weapons may still fire. It only moves 6" a turn, so its not like you will miss a lot of movement. :p

Col.Gravis
Its a fun tank, and a superb fire magnet, but it's not the bee's knee's that many people seem to think, I own a FW version and only role it out occasionlly even for mega battles with good reason - 4 Leman Russ carry far more flexibility, increased firepower and greater surviveability for the same price.

If your gonna debate that I'd like to see your Baneblade first to show your not an armchair general.

lord_blackfang
27-05-2007, 21:17
Like Col.Gravis said, it's not the best way to spend your points if you value effectiveness over coolness.

Steel_Legion
27-05-2007, 21:26
its damn cool thats for sure, but is the stormblade cooler? I want one, and naturally the cool factor needs to be high :D

Darkhorse
27-05-2007, 21:29
Titan Killer; If Apocalypse takes off I want something that will drop the stompers...

Morris
27-05-2007, 21:32

You stun it and the driver starts laughing his head off as ONE gunner asks what happened hahah

Steel_Legion
27-05-2007, 21:33
get a shadowsword then (I think thats its name) since everyone loves an S10 gun with 2D6 AP against tanks that deals out real punishment to anything with structural points :D Bye stompa!

Bunnahabhain
27-05-2007, 21:47
I've only seen them used, rather than used them, but I do have an Armoured battle group, so have some idea of what to do with a tank or 17...

They're significantly over-priced for what they do, compared to other armour. You can buy 3-5 other tanks for the same number of points, which will have better fire power, be more flexible, harder to kill and more manoverable than it. The correct setting for them is a big table (8x6 as a minimum), with lots of other armour. As always, one tank, no matter how big, on it's own dies, but enough together simply overwhelm the enemy.

But none of that really matters. They're very big, and have that wow factor, which is hard to top without going to other forge world stuff, or very big scratch builds- Gargent with speaker and firing belly gun, that kind of thing....

cuda1179
27-05-2007, 21:49
Well, I am an avid collector of superheavy vehicles. I have two baneblades, a Shadowsword, a Stormblade, and two titans. In big battles any super heavy will take a disproportionately large amount of fire.

Stormblades are the cheapest varient, and might give you the best performance for the points. The shadowsword really is only useful when other super heavies are present, but then it is superb. The Baneblade is the best all-rounder and can take anything that is thrown at it. In one turn I once killed 13 Chaos Plaguemarine terminators and a rhino.

If you REALLY want killing power get the Maximilian Weisman Baneblade. It has a balistic skill of 4, an extra heavy bolter, and can rerole misses on one weapon.

Steel_Legion
27-05-2007, 22:00
it can have a pintle heavy bolter?!? :D

Slaaneshi Slave
27-05-2007, 22:08
If a Land Raider Crusader can have a pintle Multi-Melta, then a Special Character Baneblade surely can have a heavy bolter. :p

Orwin
27-05-2007, 22:15
Oh if my templars could field one of those! ^^

strafed
27-05-2007, 22:19
How about them Eldar?

Slaaneshi Slave
27-05-2007, 22:32
Oh if my templars could field one of those! ^^

With Apocalypse you can! :p

xibo
27-05-2007, 23:24
How about them Eldar?
the baneblade shouldn't spend too much of its attention on eldar skimmers and toast some wraithguards or other expensive aspects, while the shadowsword says baibai to your skimmers with its titanhunting vulcano cannon.
I have never seen a stormblade or macharius in battle yet...

DigitsDavid
27-05-2007, 23:43
Looks like I'll have to get one for my skellies then!

John B
27-05-2007, 23:49
I reckon the Baneblade and other superheavies will have a devastating phychological effect on your opponent. Especially if he hasn't seen any before.

Slaaneshi Slave
27-05-2007, 23:53
For at least the first week after Apocalypse is out, anyway...

Lord Cook
28-05-2007, 00:34

What!!? How retarded is that statement? IG tanks are higher quality than their space marine equivalents, with higher armour, greater firepower and more options (both in weapons and in tank variants).

The baneblade is incredibly powerful and similarly expensive. 4 normal tanks will cost about the same amount in points, the same amount in money £££ and will probably perform slightly better on the tabletop. But, you don't get the 'wow' factor of rolling all of that performance (minus a little) into 1 super-tank.

Adra
28-05-2007, 00:44
yep...they are scary to fight....and that can count for alot even against vets...but then lots of smaller tanks can be scary to :)

Slaaneshi Slave
28-05-2007, 00:46
I had a friend with one (moved to N. Ireland now though). I only played agianst it twice. First time I took it out in one round of lucky shooting by my Retributors with Multi-Meltas at close range. Second game it blew the hell out of my entire army with sniper pie plates. :(

Lord Cook
28-05-2007, 01:03
I only played agianst it twice. First time I took it out in one round of lucky shooting by my Retributors with Multi-Meltas at close range.

How on earth did you manage to get multi-meltas up close? Did he not see them coming or something?

Slaaneshi Slave
28-05-2007, 01:05
When there are 6 Rhinos on the table, and one has a unit of Retributors in you have to be quite lucky to guess the right one.

xibo
28-05-2007, 01:39
Yes, but multimeltas are heavy weapons... there's no way a retributor squad can survive a turn being in close range with the baneblade ( at least i would have shot every weapon of the tank into them till their dead and if that shouldn't be enough thanks to heavy cover or prayers there should be enough lasguns somewhere, too )

Lord Cook
28-05-2007, 01:41
When there are 6 Rhinos on the table, and one has a unit of Retributors in you have to be quite lucky to guess the right one.

I have always played it so that you have to state which unit is in which transport, otherwise the owner of the transports, after having had one blown up, could just state that that transport 'happened' to have his weakest unit inside. And by extension, the last transport left intact just 'happens' to contain his most expensive and valuable unit.

Of course if you wrote down somewhere which rhino contained which squad, then that is perfectly acceptable. Even so, multi-meltas cannot disembark and shoot in the same turn, so he must have had a chance to shoot them before you fired, unless you forgot that multi-meltas are heavy weapons and cannot even be fired out of a moving transport.

Bloodknight
28-05-2007, 01:43
You have to note it down, but disclosing what´s where before the game is sort of against the rules, but Lord Malek surely knows the page number by heart^^.
My transports all have numbers underneath.

Lord Cook
28-05-2007, 01:46
You have to note it down, but disclosing what´s where before the game is sort of against the rules, but Lord Malek surely knows the page number by heart^^.
My transports all have numbers underneath.

Well as I said either method is fine, but it must be decided at the start of the game and not only after some of the transports are being blown up.

Bloodknight
28-05-2007, 01:49
Nothing to disagree about there ;)

Greatoliver
28-05-2007, 01:49
Even so, multi-meltas cannot disembark and shoot in the same turn, so he must have had a chance to shoot them before you fired, unless you forgot that multi-meltas are heavy weapons and cannot even be fired out of a moving transport.

Very true. However, they could always fire out of the hatches of the APCs and is completely legal if they did not move.

On the what's in what idea, I believe you should always note down what is in what before deployment. Your opponent does not have to be told if he/she asks though.

Slaaneshi Slave
28-05-2007, 01:51
Of course if you wrote down somewhere which rhino contained which squad, then that is perfectly acceptable. Even so, multi-meltas cannot disembark and shoot in the same turn, so he must have had a chance to shoot them before you fired, unless you forgot that multi-meltas are heavy weapons and cannot even be fired out of a moving transport.

I always write down which is in which, but I don't feel the need to tell my opponents which is in which. If he wishes to see my list, thats fine, but unless there is serious worries about me cheating he doesn't need to see my transport list.

As to surviving an entire armies worth of shooting... The Baneblade is a huge piece of scenery, blocking half the armies line of sight, and the Rhino is pretty good at the job too, blocking the other half. A faith point later and battle cannon shells bounce off, unluckily for the Baneblade in question.

BattleSarge
28-05-2007, 05:28
I hope somebody around me would buy one. I want to make one go Boom!

cuda1179
28-05-2007, 05:36
I did see a game once where an IG player played a 2,500 point game against Necron. On the first turn the Necron player used Veil of Darkness to teleport behind the monolith and blow it up with 10 Immortals.

muskrat
28-05-2007, 05:37
Frankly I'd rather have a warhound. Though my traitor guard would sure love a baneblade.

maybe when i hit the lotto. it's it's over 5 million.

bigred
28-05-2007, 05:49
After learning the hard way that being a Titan Princeps is harder than it looks (http://belloflostsouls.blogspot.com/2007/05/weekly-games-reaver-takes-to-field.html) (I've been geting in several titan games), I have nothing but respect for my "little brother" the Baneblade. Its a good vehicle, but its lack of void-shields make it more vulnerable than you think.

What I've found is that the bigger stuff's real value isn't destroying the enemy (they will almost never make back their points), but rather:

a) Their ability to husband their victory points. That is, more often than not, unless the foe really pours on the fire, your vehicle will survive the game and not give up its huge number of victory points.

b) Their ability to "shape the battle" through their sheer size and intimidation value, and their ability to wipe select key units off the board, seriously disrupting the foe's plans.

In short, use the big guys to bully your opponent, knock out a small number of his key units he needs to win the game, and keep some of your other forces close by to support and defend the superheavies. You'll do fine.

Rushing it headlong into the middle of the foe's fire corridors hoping to kill everyone is a recipe for rapid destruction and loss of the game.

-bigred

lars4life
28-05-2007, 06:03
They are fun to play against. I have never been bored with a game when there is a Bane Blade on the table
Will you make your points back out of them, probably not. However you cant really put a value on the frantic "OMFG!!!! I got to kill that thing" look on your opponents face.

You can kill it one shot, if your lucky. If you have the opportunity, take a look at the super heavy damage chart in one of the Imperial Armor books.

Without giving the specific rules out:
There is a result that removes a structure point and then you roll on the chart again. If you keep getting this result.....
KABOOM, One shot, One Kill

Though in its defense there is also a result that repairs a structure point, so they can take a beating and keep killing you.