PDA

View Full Version : Dragon ogres or Dragon ogre shaggoth

Nickn
28-05-2007, 02:07
ok i really dont see a point to shaggoth besides better stats but when u think about it u could get dragon ogres 4 the same price. So whats the point of shaggoth

from my expierience dragon ogres r way bett er but if any one has any reson why i should take shaggothe PLZ reply

Bloodknight
28-05-2007, 02:13
Refrain from Netspeak please, itīs confusing for us non-natives.

From my experience there is no point in using a shaggoth over the same amount of points in dragon ogres. It has less wounds, less attacks and gets shot easily because itīs a large target. The only reason to field one is the cool model, which is a shame.

natedogg710
28-05-2007, 03:21
I agree with what Bloodknight said. In almost every case, multiple Dragon Ogres are better than one Dragon Ogre Shaggoth. The only time I would think about taking a Shaggoth is if I give him Mark of Slaanesh and a Great Weapon because he will always strike first with 5 strength 7 attacks.

Mordhorst
28-05-2007, 09:16
I agree with Bloodknight that the Shaggoth is not too hot, but IMO the he still has a few things for him going, too. He is way more mobile than three or more "normal" DO's, which can be a huge benefit. Even light shooting (i.e. S3) can panic DO's, the Shaggoth doesen't need to worry about that too much. Oh, and he causes Terror.

Combat-wise, I would prefer the normal Dragon Ogres, but you can't compare the two units directly as they have different abilities and therefore different tasks. Btw, I field neither of them anymore as I think I can buy better things for my points.

theunwantedbeing
28-05-2007, 12:16
The shaggoth is there because GW needed a big new beastie to generate sales as they couldnt be bothered re-designing the current dragon ogres.

Hywel
28-05-2007, 17:10
Bloodknight hit the nail on the head; particularly regarding netspeak.

forgottenlor
30-05-2007, 11:02
Dragon ogres definately have more hitting power, but the Shaggoth gets to turn for free, which makes him very mobile. He also has more attacks for his frontage, which means he is good for supporting another unit in combat. The Shaggoth can also declare an attack from behind another attacking unit, because he is a large target (see the tactica monster that appeared in white dwarf last year?) He also has terror. I think the Shaggoth starts becoming more attractive in games over 3000 points.

razielthegreat
30-05-2007, 15:14
i'm not 100% sure 'bout the rules.. but the model is freekin' sweet. I wanna start a "beasts of chaos" army just so i can use one. :p
But, i really gotta finish off the armys i have, before i go buying anything else.:cries:

guillaume
30-05-2007, 15:35
The shaggoth champion also has the ability to be your general in a beast army, which the dragon ogres can't obviously.

Nickn
30-05-2007, 21:01
i agree the model is probably my favorite

i would never use him as my general because i cant ambush ( he dosen't have ambush special rules)