PDA

View Full Version : Marine questions [Iron Hands in particular]

RobbiP
28-05-2007, 04:58
With a 1k Hall of Heroes tourny-thingy coming up in about a month or so, I figured small points cost + deadline would be perfect for inspiring + motivating me to get my butt to a hobby store and start buying. Now, before I hop on aboard, there are some questions that'd be awesome if they were answered...

1) Noticed there's a box that has 10 Iron Hands guys.. but it costs more then a normal tactical squad. What does that box contain? More specifically, can someone list all the plastic components in that boxed set?

2) I should've asked this before, but anyways.. what's the difference between the new Tactical squads and the older ones? They all seem really similar so I'm curious what warranted getting them replaced... as a second part to that question, are they still compatible with the older marines, or is there a visible difference?

3) This tourney has a Painted score category that says the model should ideally have 3+ colours on it. Assuming the base is discounted, the IH only really have 1 primary colour and a secondary one that lines the edges, making it a grand total of 2! Will I get penalized for sticking to the fluff?

4) Speaking of fluff... what are the tactics of the IH? Are they a siege army? Melee? I know they got lots of bionics but that's about it...?

5) I hear there's a SM codex redux coming along. With regards to Tactical and Devestator squads, what kind of changes are they going to make?

Anyways, thanks a bunch guys
/Robbi

The Dude
28-05-2007, 05:05
1) Noticed there's a box that has 10 Iron Hands guys.. but it costs more then a normal tactical squad. What does that box contain? More specifically, can someone list all the plastic components in that boxed set?

It’s not the plastic components that make that box, it’s the metal extras like shoulder pads and bionics IIRC.

2) I should've asked this before, but anyways.. what's the difference between the new Tactical squads and the older ones? They all seem really similar so I'm curious what warranted getting them replaced... as a second part to that question, are they still compatible with the older marines, or is there a visible difference?

Just some more bits. All the Special Weapons for example. Unless you’re getting a discount on the old boxes, you really are better off with the new one. But yes, they are compatible.

3) This tourney has a Painted score category that says the model should ideally have 3+ colours on it. Assuming the base is discounted, the IH only really have 1 primary colour and a secondary one that lines the edges, making it a grand total of 2! Will I get penalized for sticking to the fluff?

Black, White and Silver. That’s 3. Plus you could add other metalics to them as well. Just little details from a complimentary palette.

5) I hear there's a SM codex redux coming along. With regards to Tactical and Devestator squads, what kind of changes are they going to make?

It’s too far off for anything to even be a glint in the developer’s eyes yet, so don’t worry about it. Although being mainstay units, I wouldn't expect any major changes to Tacs and Devs beyond MAYBE points adjustments and the inclusion of the Combat Squads rule.

Khaine's Messenger
28-05-2007, 05:26
Dude answered the bitz questions, but I'll just point out that quite a few of the GW online stores do list and show pictures of the bitz in those boxes. The IH box even has a power armor thunder-hammer arm. :D

what are the tactics of the IH?

They are Space Marines first and foremost, so their tactical doctrines are pretty codex. They're disinclined to admit to failure due to their obsession with being strong and their hatred of weakness, but they do not see a frank re-assessment of their tactical position to be an admission of weakness. They will always stop to remind you of this when they do it, though, because they really don't like feeling weak or letting anyone get that impression of them--these are the same people who massacred faithful Imperial populations to demonstrate the "price" of weakness, after all. They're also philosophically inclined to proceed methodically or hit things with blunt instruments (one of their most famous engagements involves a whole formation of a couple company's worth of landraiders), but I think the limitations imposed by the Eye to Eye drawback are sufficient to represent that; a competent Iron Hands captain needn't handicap himself anymore than the drawback forces him. Assault squads, eg, are fair game, and indeed, the chapter has many of them.

If you want a challenge, think of them as Phalanx Necrons and then slowly re-adjust yourself towards the fact that you are playing Marines.