PDA

View Full Version : Chaos Dwarf Tactica

Peachy
28-05-2007, 13:11
I noticed there doesn't seem to be a chaos dwarf tactica. Anyone else interested in seeing one up and running? As I'm just starting CDs I don't have much to offer at this stage, so does someone want to kick things off with the characters?

Angelwing
28-05-2007, 13:33
Alright. I usually run a lord on taurus with obsidian blade and armour of gazrakh.
2 level 2 sorcerers, no magic items and a battle standard with war banner.
the wizards and standard lead infantry units while the lord goes off to roll up flanks or hunt warmachines and the like.
I can swop out the lord for a sorcerer lord on lammasu, but i find this is a risky tactic versus any missile fire!

Grunge
29-05-2007, 10:22
Here's my two cents:

Lord Choices:

Chaos Dwarf Lord - Its a Dwarf Lord (25 points cheaper!!!) that can ride Great Taurus and take cool Magic Items. The Standard Issue would probably be the one stated above, mounted on bull with Armor Of Gazrakh and the Black Hammer or Obsidian Blade. Also, he doesnt need to be your general MWAHAHA!

Sorcerer Lord - Well this one is a little bit expensive but I guess thats what you get for having a lvl4 Dwarf Wizard!! I would go for it on various, more static lists.

Bull Centaur Lord - Taking a bull centaur lord is not a bad option... its just that you have lots of better ones. Again this one really depends on the type of list youre taking, but I guess those types will get discussed later, so more about them at that point.

Hero Choices

Chaos Dwarf Hero - He has Leadership 10. Really, for me thats enough to take ehis guy as General. That gives you a non general Lord flying around and doing his stuff :) (while this guy sticks to one of the big units in the back)

Chaos Dwarf Sorcerer - These ones are rather well priced compared to the lord and other wizards. The most common use for a balanced army is to take two lvl 2. Well they are awseome anyways and having a magic swinging mean looking dwarf sounds like music to me.

Bull Centaur Hero - Pretty much the same as for the Lord one, exept this one sees a lot more play on combat oriented lists. He gives more punch than a normal Dwarf hero at least, so if you need punch...

Hobgoblin Hero - This guy costs 40 points (5 more than his Goblin cousin but with WS 5) and has less options. Still have in mind he can ride a wolf, so he depends on the list again, but its not very appealing.

I'm not a really experienced CD player, but I hope I've brought some discussion points to the thread, I hope this discussion goes far.

Lord Khabal
29-05-2007, 11:01
I like to use 1 LVL4 sorceror + 2Lvl2 and a bull centaur hero with xtra hw / 1+AS / gauntlet. But that's because I have a more static/defensive army with 2 earthshakers and 6 bolt throwers...

FatOlaf
29-05-2007, 14:12
I'm glad someone has started this up as I have just started up a CD army after an 18 year hiatus, I do have a couple of questions though?

What point are Sneaky Gits? With 7th rules they have lost their lap around ability, are they worth it still? Also should they be Skirmishers?

Bull Centaurs, are they actually any good, they seem vulnerable to me... Do they get +1 As fro being mounted? And do there Great Weapons give them +1 or +2 S?

Goblins as a special choice? Why would you?And can you take Night Goblins and therefore Fanatics?

And someone tell me where I can get Hobgoblin Wolfriders from, whenever I bid for some on Ebay, when they rarely turn up, they go for so much, I just lost out on 10 of them by 77c, I had bid $101.00 :mad:

Angelwing
29-05-2007, 15:14
sneaky gits: poison attacks, and cheap! Anyone with a low armour save is in trouble against these guys. Make sure you get the charge (duh) as their low Int. will see them in trouble in later rounds, and of course having the generals leadership to pass fear and terror checks lets you engage stuff like giants.
Goblins: you can only take standard goblins as special i'm afraid. Reason? dirt cheap!
Bull centaurs: great weapon gives +2 strength, no save for being mounted. However, armour, shield and close combat weapon should sort you out. Treat them as foot troopers with unit strength 2 and a fast move.

FatOlaf
30-05-2007, 12:24
Bull centaurs: great weapon gives +2 strength, no save for being mounted. However, armour, shield and close combat weapon should sort you out.

Except it's a GW so no +1 AS, so that's my only real fear with them is their quite low 5+ AS but then again at only 20 points, should I care?

Bazhrak
30-05-2007, 14:27
Chaos dwarf tactica eh?

Ok, i'm in! First of, i endeavour to use only 25 percent of my list for characters so i wont lose swathes of victory points if my lord gets killed.

Solid and cheap character choices include a lord with armour of gazhrak and a great weapon and a bull centaur hero with gauntlets of bazhrak the cruel and heavy armour, shield and great weapon.

I also always take a lvl 2 sorceror with two dispel scrolls or powerstones.

My 50 Ýre on CD characters.

Lord Khabal
30-05-2007, 14:43
The GW gives +1S on the bull centaurs. Personally I rather use the 2 shakers...
Sneaky gits are useless under the 7th edition rules. Better takes lots of regular hobbos.
As for getting the wolf riders, it's best to convert, otherwise it will get VERY expensive!!!(10+ models per unit!!!)
And you can only take regular gobbos, i'm affraid.

Bazhrak
30-05-2007, 16:22
[QUOTE=Lord Khabal;1603032]The GW gives +1S on the bull centaurs. Personally I rather use the 2 shakers...

This is is where you're wrong. Bull centaurs are not mounted. They are in fact infantry with a long base and high move. Therefore they get +2 strenght from the Great Weapons.

Oh, and if you use two shakers you'll lose all your friends!:D

metro_gnome
30-05-2007, 16:33
only if you use US GT rules... which apply to those tournaments only...

By the BRB... BCs are "cavalry" models (p.7)... and therefore "mounted" (p.55)...
sadly they do not get the +1 cavalry save due to being a cavalry model "consisting of a single creature" (p.30)...

personally we have a house rule that treats them like centigor models...
that is to say they can uses infantry rules for hand weapons...
and cavalry rules (therefore mounted rules) for other weapons...
I find this to be a happy medium...

as to the topic:
i find the T5 Ld 10 Sorceror lord to be a fine lord choice... even when using him as just a caddy...
my list of lords in order:
1) sorceror lord on foot
2) BC lord... 0-1 for a reason...
3) Taurus lord... it a lot of points and he dont do CC well... but can be a great distraction for your enemy...
4) CD lord on foot... Fighty character with M3?... rather get a hero...
5) Sorceror lord on Lammansu... my nan armed with a cardy and two umbreallas as hand wepons could give the lammansu a good kicking...

if you arent running a S. Lord the Ld 10 CD hero general is a must... sorcerors as required...
hobbie boss on wolf with HA enchanted shield and sword of might can mess up a backline...
so can a boss with GW and gauntlets and steed of shadows...
the BC hero i find to be too expensive for what he does...

Bazhrak
30-05-2007, 16:33
Here's a few more tips! Always use great weapons for our warriors. If not they'll still win, but it will take years.

A couple of small units of sneaks are nice too. About 10 man.

metro_gnome
30-05-2007, 22:24
i find a S6 character in the front line of shield dwarfs can do wonders for their time in combat...
personally i perfer shield dwarfs a 3+save in CC is golden and cheaper...
i run a second smaller unit with GWs... but they are just as likely to use HW/shield as they are to use GWs...
i think blunderbusses are overated... in CC they fold like flimsy carboard...
i run one unit of 18 anyway... because i have the models... and its a good place to put sorcerors...
hobgoblin infantry should be run nekkid... the best armor for hobgoblins is more hobgoblins...
wolfboyz should get light armor and shields and a musician... 4+save on a fast cav... yes please...

specials some other time...

FatOlaf
31-05-2007, 11:56
The GW gives +1S on the bull centaurs

Seems Strange that a creature would be hampered by wielding a GW with no rider, No i think we will go down the same line as Centigaurs, +2S!

personally we have a house rule that treats them like centigor models...
that is to say they can uses infantry rules for hand weapons...
and cavalry rules (therefore mounted rules) for other weapons...
I find this to be a happy medium...

I think that's the best plan..

Now what about Blunderbusses, I like the idea of a big fat unit of Black Orcs with a unit of Blunders each side protecting the flanks, do people go for 3 ranks units? Do people like using them?

metro_gnome
31-05-2007, 14:06
well i dont like BBs that much... but i like them better than Blorcs...
Blorcs no longer quell the animosity in your army... they no longer have the infamous S7 champ...
and for these lovely bonuses they got a point increase...
get Big 'Uns better in every way... and no longer have to be mixed with equal parts regular boy...
or better yet just get shield boyz... S4, T4, 4+ save... 6 points... and get twice as many...

as for BBs... 3 ranks is choice... 15 or 18...
they will still get the shooting bonus at 12... but that unit runs like nobodys business...
they are the sprinters of the dwarf world...