PDA

View Full Version : Beasts of Khorne 2250

Glabro
29-05-2007, 02:00
Hokays. Hereīs my planned potential Beasts of Chaos army (My personal quest is to negate my opponentīs offensive magic in a cost-efficient way in a hard-hitting army).

Strategy : Minotaurs and Bestigors charge up one half of the battlefield, Warhounds screen and flank. Tuskgor chariots take the inner flank and work in unison, since they are so much slower ( a form of refused flank).

Beast Herds come from Ambush and eliminate targets of opportunity, as well as provide flank / rear and rank bonus to the hard hitters.

Thoughts?

2250 Pts - Chaos Roster - Beasts of Khorne

Beastlord of Khorne @ 182 Pts
General; Mark of Khorne; Hand Weapon; Extra Hand Weapon; Shield; Frenzy
1 Chaos Armor @ [10] Pts
1 Horn of the Great Hunt @ [30] Pts

4 Minotaurs of Khorne @ 249 Pts
Mark of Khorne; Standard Bearer Std; Hand Weapon; Great Weapon; Frenzy

11 Bestigor Herd of Khorne @ 220 Pts
Mark of Khorne; Musician Mus; Standard Bearer Std; Hand Weapon; Great Weapon; Heavy Armor; Frenzy
1 War Banner @ [25] Pts

5 Warhounds @ 30 Pts

5 Warhounds @ 30 Pts

5 Warhounds @ 30 Pts

5 Warhounds @ 30 Pts

Beast Herd (19#, 119 Pts)
5 Gors @ 119 Pts
Musician Mus; Hand Weapon; Extra Hand Weapon
1 Foe-Render @ [27] Pts
Hand Weapon; Extra Hand Weapon
13 Ungor @ [52] Pts
Spear

5 Gors @ 119 Pts
1 Foe-Render @ [27] Pts
13 Ungor @ [52] Pts
Spear

5 Gors @ 119 Pts
1 Foe-Render @ [27] Pts
13 Ungor @ [52] Pts
Spear

5 Gors @ 119 Pts
1 Foe-Render @ [27] Pts
13 Ungor @ [52] Pts
Spear

Tuskgor Chariot (1#, 85 Pts)

Total Roster Cost: 2249

natedogg710
29-05-2007, 02:30
2250 Pts - Chaos Roster - Beasts of Khorne

Beastlord of Khorne @ 182 Pts
General; Mark of Khorne; Hand Weapon; Extra Hand Weapon; Shield; Frenzy
1 Chaos Armor @ [10] Pts
1 Horn of the Great Hunt @ [30] Pts

Drop Shield, Hand Weapon, and Chaos Armour for Armour of Damnation(in the Hordes of chaos book) and a great weapon.

4 units is a little much, drop 2 of them and just stick with 2 units of 4. Drop the Standard Bearer and add a Bloodkine to the squads instead.

11 Bestigor Herd of Khorne @ 220 Pts
Mark of Khorne; Musician Mus; Standard Bearer Std; Hand Weapon; Great Weapon; Heavy Armor; Frenzy
1 War Banner @ [25] Pts

Up the count to at least 19. That way if you put your lord in the unit, you will have 4 ranks of 5.

5 Warhounds @ 30 Pts

5 Warhounds @ 30 Pts

5 Warhounds @ 30 Pts

5 Warhounds @ 30 Pts

I'm not a big fan of Warhounds, but I've heard they are effective at screening units. Drop 2 of them and just stick with 2 units of 5.

5 Gors @ 119 Pts
1 Foe-Render @ [27] Pts
13 Ungor @ [52] Pts
Spear

5 Gors @ 119 Pts
1 Foe-Render @ [27] Pts
13 Ungor @ [52] Pts
Spear

5 Gors @ 119 Pts
1 Foe-Render @ [27] Pts
13 Ungor @ [52] Pts
Spear

5 Gors @ 119 Pts
1 Foe-Render @ [27] Pts
13 Ungor @ [52] Pts
Spear

For beast herds you typically want them in multiples of 4+1. I would go with 7 Gor and 10 Ungor for each of the squads. It helps a lot with Leadership because your opponent has to kill 5 before you take a leadership test. Also, I'm not sure if 4 units is necessary, you don't really need that many units ambushing. I would just go with 3 units, 2 Ambush and they other is used as a character holder.

They work best in pairs, so drop one.

Total Roster Cost: 2249

Okay, you save 543 points if you make the changes I suggested. I would buy 2 Wargors with Great Weapons, Heavy Armour, and Mark of Khorne. Put these guys in the Beast Herd that isn't ambushing. After this you will have 337 points to spend, which I would use to get 4 Dragon Ogres with Light Armour and Great Weapons. They hit harder than Minotaurs and are faster. It's up to you to decide what to do with the last 21 points.

Also, for some good beastmen tactics, you can check out here (http://z2.invisionfree.com/herdstone/index.php?showtopic=3610).

Hope these suggestions help.

Glabro
29-05-2007, 13:25
Thanks for the suggestions.

Yes, the Beastlord can very well change, the AoD is a very nice item indeed, just depends on the funds available. I donīt get the "drop shield" thing however. 3 points for a very useful option (2+ save), and you want to drop it?

As for the Minotaurs, I could consider dropping 1 unit just because of Centigors. To make up, Iīd use a non-ambushing superherd with the Beastlord and at least one other Wargor, possibly a BsB.

The Bestigor are fine as is, Iīm not looking to get a bunch of ranks with them, just to get 6-7 guys fighting in the front line with a +1 rank bonus if alone.

The unit count of 19 seems fine to me for Beastherds. Must kill 5 to force panic, and can usually rank up for the full +2 rank bonus (assuming they form 6-7 wide each time).

Dragon Ogres do not hit harder than frenzied Minotaurs. What they DO have is 1 pt of movement and a 4+ save compared to Minotaurs, and S5 instead of 6. However, they donīt have Frenzy, which is both good and bad. All in all, they arenīt really worth the added cost compared to Minotaurs of Khorne, considering they donīt provide that all-important dispel die.

As for the Chariots, I agree that they work in pairs: however, the third one is a spare. If one gets destroyed, thereīs still a pair left. Even if not, the third can either combine with the other two (to assure that you CRUSH one hard enemy unit) or go after something soft.

I donīt see any need to DROP warhounds, the more the better. They can be used to prevent your opponent from forcing you to make bad charges (because of Frenzy) or simply negate enemy ranks and add +10 US to the fight.
Theyīre brilliant for 30 pts.

I should add that the list is 2250 simply because I anticipate that as the common tournament size.
For friendly games, Iīd up the points to at least 2500.