PDA

View Full Version : civilian militia / conscripts

Jo Bennett
29-05-2007, 09:09
I was thinking about the leadership rules for conscripts, and more particularly for the less willing sort of conscript, basically when the population of an occupied city has been forced on to the battlefield as a skirmish screen. I was thinking that as an additional rule, when a conscript platoon flees from combat, "friendly" forces should be able to fire on them, each casualty adding a point to their leadership when they come to rally (though still subject to the usual modifier). I think this would be a nice, fluffy addition that wouldn't have a particularly unbalancing effect, but might reduce the tendency for people to take conscripts and independent commissars together.

Savant
29-05-2007, 11:44
I'm taking conscripts as cultists/forced militia in my traitor guard and I wouldn't mind an excuse to shoot them - better yet if there's an actual tactical reason!

The new empire flagellants look promising as militia/cultist models, just replace the arms with Catachan arms or something.

Anubis_the_Harlie
29-05-2007, 11:48
I actually try to kill my conscripts; eg put them next to a vehicle I want to blow up, guess range a bassie *near* them and screw with demo charges and hope they scatter into the conscripts... it fits the fluff of my army, and is just plain funny. I only do this in friendly games though... ;)

Anyway OT that rule would be so awesome!

xibo
29-05-2007, 11:48
And if you shoot three conscripts, are they going to shoot on their 'enemy' or are they going to shoot at you?

I actually try to kill my conscripts; eg put them next to a vehicle I want to blow up, guess range a bassie *near* them and screw with demo charges and hope they scatter into the conscripts... it fits the fluff of my army, and is just plain funny. I only do this in friendly games though... ;)

Anyway OT that rule would be so awesome!
For wasting His precious resources and helping his enemies to corrupt this lands, you are to be executed in the name of the immortal emperor.

Anubis_the_Harlie
29-05-2007, 11:58
For wasting His precious resources and helping his enemies to corrupt this lands, you are to be executed in the name of the immortal emperor.

It was an accident... honest :angel:

swordwind
29-05-2007, 12:07
Why would a cities defenders shoot the people they are defending? The opening of Enemy at the Gates was made up you know?

Savant
29-05-2007, 12:12
Better that they die to the holy fire of the Immortal Emperor of Mankind's Defenders than to the foul talons of chaos!

That and, grim darkness aside, even space marines need something to laugh at.

Yuuya
29-05-2007, 14:43
civilian militia / conscripts are real heroes of the imperium.
they have little or no training,lack of heavy weapons and support.yet they defend their home,family and their believes etc ...with their lives, normally against a superior enemy,slowing them down.

as for chaos....oh well,they brain wash,make use of them,their believes etc,using them as meat buffers against the imperium.they too die willingly for their gods.(like those suicide bombers in our real world.)

Jo Bennett
29-05-2007, 14:54
Why would a cities defenders shoot the people they are defending? The opening of Enemy at the Gates was made up you know?

Not a city's defenders, I was thinking occupied cities, I had chaos in mind in particular, but imperial forces reoccupying a Tau captured planet (or similar)might have a similarly callous attitude towards the population.

Lord Malek The Red Knight
29-05-2007, 15:01
have you read the AbHuman Doctrines? "Subs" might be quite appropriate. :)

~ Tim

Outlaw289
29-05-2007, 15:30
I was thinking about the leadership rules for conscripts, and more particularly for the less willing sort of conscript, basically when the population of an occupied city has been forced on to the battlefield as a skirmish screen. I was thinking that as an additional rule, when a conscript platoon flees from combat, "friendly" forces should be able to fire on them, each casualty adding a point to their leadership when they come to rally (though still subject to the usual modifier). I think this would be a nice, fluffy addition that wouldn't have a particularly unbalancing effect, but might reduce the tendency for people to take conscripts and independent commissars together.

Why would they do that?

Guard Corporal: "Hey look these downtrodden SOBs are running from that Defiler"

Guard Sergeant: "Those sonsabitches! Quick, waste our lasguns and missile launcher and kill those damn fool conscripts! Im seeting with rage!"

Conscripts: "Okay we're taking fire from both sides now, lets, uh.... fight harder?"

mistformsquirrel
30-05-2007, 11:29

Actually no it wasn't. The Russians really /did/ that kind of thing in WWII - including having situations where there were more soldiers than rifles.

I don't doubt the Imperium does things like this, but 9/10ths of the time I prefer to think of conscripts more as willing but undertrained people. People who, for the good of their homes and loved ones went to war; despite them being accountants, farmers, janitors, etc... the rest of the time.

Barbarossa
30-05-2007, 12:36
Yeah, that abhuman doctrine doctrine is pretty good for what you want. You can 'upgrade' a conscript unit to some kind of mutant scum which gives unit behind them a 5+ cover save and which is so afraid of their own side that they won't fall back but instead count as pinned.

Sir_Turalyon
30-05-2007, 12:42
Another approach to that Idea I though up few years ago was, Fire Support squad joined by a comissar may fire into fleeing guard infrantry / conscript unit to rally all falling back units in 12" of target (including what's left of it).

Althrough real NKVD squads carried SMGs and run closely in second wave to make sure troops will not even start running...

CommisarMolotov
30-05-2007, 13:07

Nope, it wasn't:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Penal_military_unit#Soviet_Union

Rogue Trader even had "Penal Legion Troopers" in the "Warriors of the Army" section.