PDA

View Full Version : Elite Strike Force or Horde of Doom?

Lord Cook
29-05-2007, 16:06
We all like to play differently, but who enjoys leading a really hard core band of elite troops, and who just likes swamping their opponents in corpses?

Or, perhaps you favor a bit of both? Please, share your thoughts noble Warseers!

Griffin
29-05-2007, 16:09
I play a pure Wraith construct army - nearly fourty Points for a standard troop hurts, but it's so fun that you can kill anything in the game from one volley of fire.

Iyanden is Hardcore.

eldaran
29-05-2007, 16:11
I like elite strike forces as opposed to horde armies, as shown by my two armies-Preparing for New codex-Alpha Legion and Biel-Tan-esque Eldar.

Of course, this doesn't help if you come up against the IG player with 3 Basilisks/enough heavy bolters to make you cry...:mad:

Green Shoes
29-05-2007, 16:11
Guard and Orks. Says it all.

Gammarah
29-05-2007, 16:18
Little of both. I play BA, but I try to get a lot of warm bodies in my lists, it has good holding power and I hate relying on armor saves. I also find it funny that I have more numbers in my lists than some Nid players I know.

Outlaw289
29-05-2007, 16:34
I like using my Guard with a nice core of cheap Guardsmen with armor support, but also use specialized Storm Troopers or Veterans for certain roles. I take a bit of everything, and although my Guard is still horde-ish, it has a diverse elements in it (Armor, Elites, and Troops).

daladzor
29-05-2007, 16:46
horde everytime,
that way i can afford to lose troops and even after 6 turns i will still have units able to claim objectives :)

Stella Cadente
29-05-2007, 17:05
Balance balance balance

SwordsofChaos
29-05-2007, 17:15
A bit of both, got a Chaos and a nid army, so it gets mixed.

Lord Cook
29-05-2007, 17:21
I was expecting more people to go for elite armies. Oh well. For me it's usually horde, but I think armoured company fits pretty well in the 'elite force' option, considering I have less than 20 models.

Gutlord Grom
29-05-2007, 17:22
I generally prefer smalll forces. This is generally due to my lack of income being a teenager.

However, nothing beats a horde of Guardsmen charging across the board WW1 style.

Cry of the Wind
29-05-2007, 17:59
I think its more fun to have some units that are clearly the best of the best in an army. I love my INQ army for that reason. I have IG to bulk the numbers and make the Inquisitor and his Grey Knight buddies look even more powerful by comparison. On the table it's nice to have the numbers for shooting things up and still have a squad or two that can be expected to go toe to toe with other elite units.

Luthien
29-05-2007, 18:17
both for me i play mainly aspect eldar (small) and sheer attrition imperial guard (big) :D :D

eldaran
29-05-2007, 18:20
I have to say i'm surprised. According to the statistics that people are so fond of quoting, well over 18 people should have voted for small, elite forces.

Maybe people should stop crying out "Everyone plays marines! Marines are boring and all blue with upside-down omega symbols on their Shoulders!"

Democratus
29-05-2007, 18:32
Small, elite forces can often leave you with too few scoring units to accomplish objectives. For example, a Grey Knights force at 500 points would be hard pressed to claim board quarters against a horde army like the Nids.

eldaran
29-05-2007, 18:46
i would disagree, when you consider that at 1,500 points, my AL has 9 scoring units, which isn't too bad for an "elite" army.

Cirenivel
29-05-2007, 18:48
I usually prefer horde, altough I have an elite army.
Minimum for me is 200 models in 2000 points with my hordes

Cirenivel

mistformsquirrel
29-05-2007, 19:04
Elite all the way.

I just love the image of a few hard-as-nails troopers taking out legions of the enemy and winning. Even if we lose, we can still claim it was a heroic last stand; and if we win? How ****** cool is that!

It also gives you more cash/time for conversions; because you have far fewer models to paint/convert.

Of course this doesn't mean I don't have ideas/desires for some horde stuff as well; but my heart is in the super-hard elite area primarily.

sir.spamalot
29-05-2007, 19:05
Horde all the time for me, if I don't have 100+ models in my army, I really don't consider it done:)

superknijn
29-05-2007, 19:09
Meh; I personally prefer elite units, but only play IG and Tau at the moment, and all my lists have 35+ infantry models and at least 3 vehicles. And I love it.

Democratus
29-05-2007, 19:11
i would disagree, when you consider that at 1,500 points, my AL has 9 scoring units, which isn't too bad for an "elite" army.

1500 ain't 500. Does your army field 6 units at 500? If not, it's really tough to capture multiple victory locations.

Elite units are fine and good when the points start to climb. But they really suffer in the smaller games. As I play lots of published campaigns, 500-point battles are more common than any other kind.

Hlokk
29-05-2007, 19:36
I always try to go horde of doom, simply because its nice to watch that ever widening look of horror on your opponents face as he realises you outnumber him about 4-1.

The_Dragon_Rising
29-05-2007, 19:42
I play for a laugh and therefore throw everything in- i have orks with ~90 models on the table at 1000pts, eldar with ~30 at 1k and then my joke orks with a landraider crusader looted as a transport for my ork warboss and nob bodyguard, takin ~700pts of my 1000.

Son of Makuta
29-05-2007, 20:56
I like elite strike forces as opposed to horde armies, as shown by my two armies-Preparing for New codex-Alpha Legion and Biel-Tan-esque Eldar.

By Khaine. Those are my armies! (Plus nids, with only 32 Gaunts.) Yep, I'm an elitist as well. When I start my Chaos army, it's going to include all kinds of elite units - even the Ork detachment will be Kommandos and expensive stuff. Quite apart from the fact that modelling and painting 40 odd Slugga Boyz or Hormagaunts will have me running for the hills, elites are so much more fun when your opponent thinks you're on even terms...

"Right, so that's my eight Marines against your seven. It's gonna be a close one!" (Substitute marines for whichever army you wish.)

"Close one? I'm sorry? My Marines have frag grenades, furious charge, the Mark of Chaos Undivided and an 80 point Aspiring Champion. Due to having infiltrate, I've assaulted you on turn one. You're goin' down, sucker."

Love it. :D

edit: Having said all that, I do like the look of massed infantry squads (well, of Necrons, Marines or Eldar, anyway; it doesn't work with Guard, Tau or Nids). Plus, if I had the models, money and patience, I probably would field 150+ Spinegaunts. :|

Brother Alecium
29-05-2007, 21:40
Since I play Marines, it is hard to ever have more models than my opponents. Unless I am playing Chaos or an Elite Eldar army. So the Horde army is just kind of out of the question. But, I do try to fit as many marines into the army as possible, and try not to spend too too many points on the one particular unit and or character in my army. So I guess balancing it out would have to be my way to go.

Lord Cook
29-05-2007, 21:47
"Right, so that's my eight Marines against your seven. It's gonna be a close one!" (Substitute marines for whichever army you wish.)

"Close one? I'm sorry? My Marines have frag grenades, furious charge, the Mark of Chaos Undivided and an 80 point Aspiring Champion. Due to having infiltrate, I've assaulted you on turn one. You're goin' down, sucker."

But by that logic you will have spent far more points on that unit, so he will have reinforcements available at some point in the near future. Having quality is fine, so long as you get a chance to take the enemy apart piece by piece and aren't forced to fight everything at once.

Rogue 7
29-05-2007, 21:54
I like one or the other- as in I like both, but one at a time. My Tau are fairly elite, and I'm planning marines next, but as soon as I win the lottery, I want a huge army of guard- swarmtastic!

exsulis
29-05-2007, 21:57
Pretty much scrapped my DW under C: DA as it isn't feasible. In a normal game these days I'll go with a mix of shooty, and CC units. Shoot the stuff that hurts in CC, and assault the stuff that would do the most damage in the shooting phase.

Stella Cadente
29-05-2007, 22:25
Pretty much scrapped my DW under C: DA as it isn't feasible.

:wtf: how on earth is it now not feasible?

Freakiq
29-05-2007, 22:55
100 Necron warriors and a Lord in 2000 points is a sight to behold and hatf to crack.

Wouldn't use it in a tournament though...

ImperialFist18
29-05-2007, 23:44
Most of my marines army is just a bunch of random units thrown on the battlefield, but it seems to work. I guess I prefer power of mass but I have seen some awsome IG armies.

ImperialFist18
29-05-2007, 23:44
Sorry, that is power OVER mass. My bad.

xibo
30-05-2007, 00:53
We all like to play differently, but who enjoys leading a really hard core band of elite troops, and who just likes swamping their opponents in corpses?

Or, perhaps you favor a bit of both? Please, share your thoughts noble Warseers!

Really Hardcore Band of elite troops? Thats what my conscripts are! My guardsmen are the elite of the elite. They're called the Imperial Guard for being that, unlike the unworthy covards who hide behind power armours *blahblah*

I consider myself as pure horde player, as in the times when I played Tau my army had 80+ models at 1000 points, too ( not 200 for the list doesn't support that - or at least doesn't support any effective 200 models )

Lord Cook
30-05-2007, 00:53
100 Necron warriors and a Lord in 2000 points is a sight to behold and hatf to crack.

I don't doubt it would be a sight to see, but what would be even more spectacular is witnessing an armoured company slowly reversing away from it while hurling 5 or 6 pie plates a turn in your direction.

Really Hardcore Band of elite troops? Thats what my conscripts are! My guardsmen are the elite of the elite. They're called the Imperial Guard for being that, unlike the unworthy covards who hide behind power armours *blahblah*

We all have our own opinions as to who the real heroes of the Imperium are ;), however this is an in-game review rather than a fluff review.

I notice the elites have caught up with the hordes. I guess that was pretty inevitable.

Vesica
30-05-2007, 01:54
I prefer using elite for the main purpose of i dont like watching my troops die needlessly, although if it was for a important relic or something, then every soldier is expandable in order to win.

eldaran
30-05-2007, 07:56
1500 ain't 500. Does your army field 6 units at 500? If not, it's really tough to capture multiple victory locations.

Elite units are fine and good when the points start to climb. But they really suffer in the smaller games. As I play lots of published campaigns, 500-point battles are more common than any other kind.

Nah. it's got 4. they're small, and powerful

[/QUOTE]But by that logic you will have spent far more points on that unit, so he will have reinforcements available at some point in the near future. Having quality is fine, so long as you get a chance to take the enemy apart piece by piece and aren't forced to fight everything at once.[/QUOTE]

I would disagree. One of the funniest moments was when my Blood Ravens command squad with librarian took on a total of -effectively the entire army- with a few kills caused by my tactical squads assault round 1: Casualties for Guard-8 guardsmen + 1 Heavy weapon team. 2 Infantry squads run down. Casualties for Blood Ravens-a bucket load of ammunition. it went on like this, with my Command squad effectively becoming a meat grinder for everything, until yarrick caught the wrong end of a force weapon. They then all got butchered. Admittedly, my squad was brought below half strength by the end, but i got there in the end.

Slaaneshi Slave
30-05-2007, 08:41
Meh; I personally prefer elite units, but only play IG and Tau at the moment, and all my lists have 35+ infantry models and at least 3 vehicles. And I love it.

35 infantry is not horde... My SoB have over 100 infantry in them... :D

DarthSte
30-05-2007, 08:55
Horses for courses really. I have hordes and strike forces, some armies are obviously better as hordes, some are better as strike forces. Never played against a marine horde or an imperial guard strike force, have you?

DarthSte
30-05-2007, 08:58
Actually my SOB have 85 infantry, my Death Guard have around 60 or so and I wouldn't consider either of those horde armies, although I obviously couldn't fit those 60 into a 1000 point game very comfortably...

the_dark_sarge
30-05-2007, 09:05
super solidiers FTW
i prefer super solidiers cos i dont have to slave away painting millions

Smokedog
30-05-2007, 09:16
Well,

I only play eldar, and reading the fluff, horde armies for eldar is really something they cannot afford, so I have been a biel-tan player sisnce the get-go.

With the release of 4th ed doing away with cratword specific rules, I have forged my new craftworld in thier style.

So fo me its elite, massed guardians makes me cringe a bit, unless it's ulthwe.

Edit: the added befit is you dont have to caryy around 4 cases for a 2000pts game ;D

Stella Cadente
30-05-2007, 10:41
actually for guard all you have to do is buy 1 guardsmen, we all know what happens when a guardsmen is left on his own, he kills more than his squad did in one turn

guardsmen529
30-05-2007, 11:04
actually for guard all you have to do is buy 1 guardsmen, we all know what happens when a guardsmen is left on his own, he kills more than his squad did in one turn

That true, and he kills even more if he is a standard trooper with a lasgun - It happened to me the other week: Due to him being out of range his unit was shot down, then he proceded to kill 2 assualt marine with rapid fire shots, and then took another one down when they charged him (in cover so struck similtaneosly)

But staying on subject: I tend to do an either elite hardcore army and when I'm finished with that I'll swap to a horde army, then back to an elite army and so one...

I never really do a balanced force, I like to have one or the other, when you win, you win big - but when you lose you lose big :cries:

Lord Cook
30-05-2007, 12:02
Never played against a marine horde or an imperial guard strike force, have you?

You can go balanced with either list. IG with all grenadiers, or marines with a heavy emphasis on tactical squads and basic marines. But they will never switch over into the other extreme, no.

Having said that a fully mechanized IG army could have very few troops (admittadly still poor quality) and lots of tanks. Tanks are about as 'super-elite' in terms of single models as you can get.

A couple of lists can do both extremes easily. Tyranids can have a horde or a nidzilla list, and they both work.

Slaaneshi Slave
30-05-2007, 19:38
I think Sisters of Battle are the only army who can do the Elite Horde. 11 pts a model, with power armour and a bolter. They can comfortably fit 31 Power Armoured figures into a 500 point game (Cannoness w/ bolter, book and 3x 10 Battle Sisters w/ 2 Melta Guns and a vet).

Tymell
30-05-2007, 19:46
In truth I probably go for the balanced approach, but in the end I swayed for the horde. I just love hurled vast numbers of models at my opponent (maybe literally, if he gets annoyingly lucky and I'm using nice spiky Nids or Chaos :evilgrin: ). It's such fun. I mainly use Tyranids and Chaos, and Chaos might sound more elite, but it consists of some 60 bezerkers at the core, so it works much the same way ;)

Plus, I'm really bad at saves. Yes, okay, I know it's luck really, but I'm allowed my little superstitions and traits. And being bad at saves, I get edgy when I'm relying on a small number of troops and just a few bad rolls can lose it all. With something like Nids or Orks I don't often get saves, so there's no need to worry.