PDA

View Full Version : Challenges

Chiron
29-05-2007, 23:02
Ran into an interesting situtation in a protracted combat tonight.

For 3 turns we had been issuing challenges (well I had and much fun it was to!) when a bystander told us that only one challenge could be fought per combat, no matter how long it goes on

In the rulebook it states "In each turn before working out any close combat each side is allowed to issue challenges"

It the goes on to say under the paragraph, Issuing a challenge
"One challenge can be issued for each combat being fought"

These statements to seem slightly contradictory, to me the bottom rule seems to be missing an extra "that turn" at the end

Which is the right interpretation? That only one challenge is ever issued in combat or that challenges happen each turn?

Edit: Wrong forum, can a mod please move this?

Regnirok
30-05-2007, 02:09
It's not really contradictory at all, one rule is just semi-dependent on the other.

Any combat may have one challenge issued at the beginning of any turn, before close combat is worked out.

If at any time a challenge is issued in a given combat, that combat is then unable to contain another challenge until the combat is resolved.

Ran into an interesting situtation in a protracted combat tonight.

For 3 turns we had been issuing challenges (well I had and much fun it was to!) when a bystander told us that only one challenge could be fought per combat, no matter how long it goes on

In the rulebook it states "In each turn before working out any close combat each side is allowed to issue challenges"

It the goes on to say under the paragraph, Issuing a challenge
"One challenge can be issued for each combat being fought"

These statements to seem slightly contradictory, to me the bottom rule seems to be missing an extra "that turn" at the end

Which is the right interpretation? That only one challenge is ever issued in combat or that challenges happen each turn?

Edit: Wrong forum, can a mod please move this?

Vattendroppe
30-05-2007, 07:32
How come I've completely missed that rule? Is it new for 7th ed.?

Murderous Monkey
30-05-2007, 14:26
PM sent - but the substance is look at the rules for 'Fighting a challenge' p77:

'Once a challenge is underway no further challenges may be issued in that combat until one character is slain or flees from combat. The challenge might therefore last over several turns of combat.'

It seems to me that you can issue a new challenge in a combat (at a rate of one per turn) assuming the previous challenge has been finished. A Bloodthirster fighting a unit of grail knights might therefore be in challenges for as long as the combat lasts (probably eating them at a rate of one per turn).

Hope that makes sense.

enyoss
30-05-2007, 15:43
The Murderous Monkey has stated it nice and concisely :).

These have been the rules for ages, at least as far back as 5th edition and I think 4th too (although back then we murdered the rules, so what I remember may not necessarily be correct :)).

Cheers,

enyoss

Vattendroppe
30-05-2007, 15:47
*EDIT*

Nullify my posts, I misread the first question.

Chiron
30-05-2007, 16:18
Believe me, so was I!

EndlessBug
30-05-2007, 16:32
yea, I was surprised at this too, after I fought a game where we had a few combats with multiple challenges someone pointed out only one was allowed per combat, grr it woulda helped so much if I had known this!

so yea, only 1 challenge is allowed to be in play in any 1 combat! and until that 1 challenge is completed no others can be put in place.

Makes me want to get 2 characters, 1 insanely defencive one and one insanely offensive one, the defencive ties their hard hitter up in combat while the offencive makes short work of some nice CR infantry troops.

EndlessBug
30-05-2007, 16:40
makes this unit nasty in any points game:
1 thane: rune of stone, great weapon, 2 runes of fury, MRo Kragg the grim
1 Thane : BSB (or great weapon), Oath stone, MRo Gromil, rune of resistance, rune of preservation
18 Hammerers (or ironbreakers maybe?) - Full command, rune of stoicism, rune of battle.

that's a +7 static combat res + an killing machine and a damage soaker. with a ld 9 re-roll stubborn :D

EvC
30-05-2007, 16:53
This has been a central tenet of many sets of tactics, that only one challenge goes on in a combat at a time! For example having a Champion in a unit with a Character to take any Challenges that are made, either if you don't want the Character to be possibly killed in the major challenge or if you want your Character freed up to keep killing rank and file...

Sub-question: does a challenge keep going and going each turn?

Count Zero
30-05-2007, 17:07
i thought a challenge lasted untill either 1 was dead or 1 was fleeing (or possibly a combination of both).

one aspect i dont like in the current challenge system is when it invloves a large ridden monster (esp a dragon) on 1 side and several units on the other. generally the monster rider will challenge leaving you with very little choice, refuse and your best character is moved to the back, which probably means you wont be able to hurt monster or take it and then hope your character can do some dmnage whilst the rest of combat stops and watches. Yes you get rank bonus and the other combat res effects, but it just seems silly.
even if the unit just has a unit champoin in there it can force him to the back and make 1 less attack back.

EvC
30-05-2007, 17:13
Usually you accept with the Champion, the guy on the Monster probably won't do enough attacks to win the combat and so must take a break test. If he still wins, keep him pinned in combat until support can arrive and whack him in the Flank/ Rear. He'll lose eventually. Good luck if they're Stubborn though!

My favourite bit about Challenges is when someone says very clearly something like "My Deathlord will challenge YOUR WIZARD, hahahaha!", and I just say, "Actually, my Champion'll take that Challenge, I get to decide :)". Good times!