PDA

View Full Version : 2 x Null Stones

kroq'gar
30-05-2007, 11:32
If opposing high elf armies fight, and both the lords carry a null stone, what would happen if they came within 6 of each other (no magic items work within 6 of a null stone), do the stones cancel each other out and thus allow magic items to work as normal, or do they just 'pool together' and work as normal.

ideas?

theunwantedbeing
30-05-2007, 11:44
I'de say they dont nullify the effect of each other.

ehlijen
30-05-2007, 11:48
They're both trying to do the same thing, so why would they interfere? By the idea behind it, they would simply reinforce each other for the same effect, by the rules one would cancel the other AND all other magic items. I guess you could roll for which one it is, but does it matter?

Revlid
30-05-2007, 11:49
The game ends in an automatic draw as the universe implodes.

T10
30-05-2007, 12:17
And you restart from the last succesful (armour) save.

Seriously, though: If two Null Stones are within each other's range then it's a roll-off to see which "wins".

-T10

Reinnon
30-05-2007, 12:25
even if they did effect each other, it creates a rather nasty paradox:

both stones effect each other.
therefore: the stones no longer effect magic items
therefore: the stones no longer effect each other as theres nothing special about them, so they gain their special abilities again as the stones no longer effect each other!
but then, the stones start to cancel each other again!
then they cancel out each other!
BANG: the logical universe explodes.

Just roll off, or don't put em in 6 inches of each other :)

sds661
30-05-2007, 14:05
... they would simply reinforce each other ...

How about ...

NO MAGIC WITHIN 12" RADIUS ?!

Atrahasis
30-05-2007, 15:38
How about - anything within 6" of both doesn't get neagted (double negative is a positive) but everything else does. :P

Ganymede
30-05-2007, 15:55
I say go with a rolloff or come to an agreeable solution that reflects what the items are trying to do.

Jedi152
30-05-2007, 16:00
I'd say they nullify anything within a 6" radius, apart from null stones.

Each one has to be protected against being nullified, or it's nullify itself, surely?

Or is that applying logic to rules, which one should avoid doing at all cost?

Vattendroppe
30-05-2007, 16:55
Interresting question. Another answer would be that they do not effect each other, but I don't know how popular that would be...

How about - anything within 6" of both doesn't get neagted (double negative is a positive) but everything else does. :P

I actually laughed when I thought of what this could do to a HE force with lots of magic items. I really need to improve my humor.

C-Coen
30-05-2007, 18:00
I'm getting a headache of thinking about this. Pity Einstein is dead. He would have the answer for sure. :( ;)

But may I ask YOU something... why do High Elves fight eachother? :wtf:

Vattendroppe
30-05-2007, 18:10
Pity Einstein is dead. He would have the answer for sure. :( ;)

Negative. Einstein would just tell you that it's relative.

Chicago Slim
30-05-2007, 18:41
Following the logic of a Null Stones negating another Null Stone, I'll extend it: the description of the Null Stone says that it negates magic items, even those carried by the carrier. So, the Null Stone should ALWAYS negate itself, making it an 80 point loss!

Cracked logic FTW!

steeler556
30-05-2007, 19:32
Well, given that the Null Stone description says something to the effect the no magic works within 6" not even friendly, seems to indicate to me that Null Stones are not actually magical but rather anti-magical black holes in the magic universe. Given that they arent magic, then neither null stone would influence the other so they would both work as normal without affected the other.

kroq'gar
01-06-2007, 09:05
i believe its a rule paradox...

and HE fight HE's...

remember how the dark elves started?

theunwantedbeing
01-06-2007, 13:00
They dont have to be fighting each other,it could be a multiplayer battle where 2 HE with null stones just get a bit too close to each other.

The description does say no "other" item will work,so you could say that other = anything that isnt a null stone.So it negates everything but null stones.

I find it amusing that the null stone stops all magic within its own area but your still perfectly able to cast spells on the guy holding it.

MarcoPollo
02-06-2007, 00:04
I agree with T10. A roll off to see which one works is the most simple solution. Each turn, the roll off should occur.

Ganymede
02-06-2007, 00:17
One way to handle the situation would be to simply allow nullstones to be immune to other nullstones. It feels like a satisfying solution.

The die roll would obvously be an excellent resolution to this situation, but wouldn't feel very satisfying. It is always nice when both items work at once instead of both only working half the time.

Vattendroppe
02-06-2007, 06:20
One way to handle the situation would be to simply allow nullstones to be immune to other nullstones. It feels like a satisfying solution.

IMO that's the most logical also. As some have said, the nullstone doesn't negate itself...

Evil-Lite
02-06-2007, 08:11
I agree with Steeler556. If they where magical they would nullify themselves. Hence they are not magical, just placed in the magic item section because GW wanted you to spend points on the item out of your 50 / 100 point limit (unlike great weapons or shields).

kroq'gar
02-06-2007, 08:27
but it negates all OTHER items. as the other elf is carrying a different stone, you have another magic item.

Alathir
02-06-2007, 08:37
Haha well it's a pretty funny situation.. I'm inclined to agree with 'exploding universe' approach...

but for the sake of rules... I would just say that they dont cancel out each other and work as normal.