PDA

View Full Version : Dispelling questions

sds661
30-05-2007, 13:17
1. Dispel scrolls specifically cannot be used against spells in play. However the "equivalent" dwarf rune does not seem to have this limitation. Is this correct?

2. With regard to the MR question DD posed in another thread, after reading p110 carefully, I would have to say that it appears that MR can only be used against spells in play during your opponent's turn. Any thoughts on this?

DeathlessDraich
30-05-2007, 15:15
Q1. Yes, I agree. SpellEater, Rune of Spellbreaking and Daemonic Spellbreaker work in the same way.

Atrahasis
30-05-2007, 15:41
Q2 : Nothing on page110 remotely suggests that.

sds661
31-05-2007, 00:40
Q2 : Nothing on page110 remotely suggests that.
I agree! It doesn't REMOTELY suggest it ... it seems pretty CLEAR to me!

But seriously ...

I'm at work now, so haven't got the book handy. I will reconsider it tonight ... but IIRC it laid out the sequence of events in magic phases, and with reference to using MR against spells in play it was only specifically mentioned in your opponent's phase.

However, on these questions I know Atra usually knows best, so I will double check before resuming the debate.

Jonke
31-05-2007, 01:09
Q2. Check page 95.

Peace!

edit: Reading your post once more and understanding what you really ask.

According to the relevant paragraph on page 110 it is the magic resistant units wich make attempts to dispel. References to the 'player', is to the player who owns the unit wich is using MR to dispel. Thus we get the following sequence of doing things in each magic phase:

1. Cast spells
2. The player whose turn it is may try to dispel RiP spells with any remaining Power Dice.
3. The opponent may try to dispel RiP spells with any remaining Dispel Dice.
4. Any units with Magic Resistance may try to dispel RiP spells affecting them, the player owning the unit may add dice (power or dispel) if he has any left.

Negativemoney
31-05-2007, 01:56
Q2. From the wording in the second paragraph and the statement in the 3rd I would say you can use the MR on any turn in which you can make a dispell roll for a RiP spell.

sds661
31-05-2007, 13:12
Thus we get the following sequence of doing things in each magic phase:

1. Cast spells
2. The player whose turn it is may try to dispel RiP spells with any remaining Power Dice.
3. The opponent may try to dispel RiP spells with any remaining Dispel Dice.
4. Any units with Magic Resistance may try to dispel RiP spells affecting them, the player owning the unit may add dice (power or dispel) if he has any left.

Yes, after rereading you may be right, but then we have the strange situation that Player A dispels RiP spells without using MR, then player B has a turn at this, then we go to either using dispels with MR.

More likely, I think, is that the term "at this stage" in the third paragraph actually refers to BOTH of the previous paragraphs, and so your step 4 is not a separate part of the sequence, but rather qualifies that you can use MR in both steps 2 and 3. This seems more sensible to me. But if that is what is meant it is clumsily put.

Masque
31-05-2007, 14:41
More likely, I think, is that the term "at this stage" in the third paragraph actually refers to BOTH of the previous paragraphs, and so your step 4 is not a separate part of the sequence, but rather qualifies that you can use MR in both steps 2 and 3. This seems more sensible to me. But if that is what is meant it is clumsily put.

I agree with this assessment entirely.

Jonke
31-05-2007, 19:19
Yeach, that's probably a better way to play it. Makes much more sense.

Peace!

lparigi34
31-05-2007, 19:25
"additional dice that can be rolled when trying to dispel a spell affecting the magic resistant unit" or so as my BRB is the Spanish version.

So far so good, but then they make it confusing "...can dispel the spell by themselves or in combination with other dispel dice"

So, instead of other dispel dice must have worded it dice used to dispel, which can also be power dice.

IMO, the intent is clear though, use it to dispel or help to dispel a spell affecting the unit whatsoever the case is.

Atrahasis, I edited before you posted...

Atrahasis
31-05-2007, 19:26
"additional dice that can be rolled when trying to dispel a spell affecting the magic resistant unit" or so as my BRB is the Spaninish version.

So far so good, but then they make it confusing "...can dispel the spell by themselves or in combination with other dispel dice"

What's confusing about that?

Chicago Slim
31-05-2007, 20:59
What's confusing about that?

During my turn, I don't have dispel dice. I have power dice.

So, as translated by lparigi from Spanish, "other dispel dice" would imply that I can use MR dice only if I have, well, other dispel dice. Which might imply that I can't use MR on my own turn.

Not that I buy this argument (even without looking up what the English version of the rules say), merely clarifying my understanding of how it might generate confusion...