PDA

View Full Version : What happens do dead astartes

monkey child
30-05-2007, 14:14
Now this isn`t a " Brother Mungo has gone live on a farm, there are lots of trees for him to climb, and orks for him to chase" what happens after death question but rather, what happens to the bodies?

Now probably the obvious would be to take the progeniod (sp) thingy-ma-bob and if youve got the time put the body in a nice tomb ect. If not burn/bury the body after taking the Armour.

But there is one other very usefull assest that a dead astartes still carries that could be of great use to his fellow marines.. His memories and experiece

Phase 8 Omophagea. This is a complicated implant. It really becomes part of the brain, but is actually situated within the spinal cord between the cervical and thoracic vertebrae. Four nerve sheaths called neuroclea are implanted between the spine and the preomnoral stomach wall. The omophagea is designed to absorb genetic material generated in animal tissue as a function of memory, experience or innate ability. This endows the Marine with an unusual survival trait. He can actually learn by eating. If a Marine eats a part of a creature, he will absorb some of the memories of that creature. This can be very useful in an alien environment. Incidentally, it is the presence of this organ which has created the various flesh eating and blood drinking rituals for which many Chapters are known, as well as giving the names to Chapters such as the Blood Drinkers, Flesh Tearers etc.

Now I never really considered this until now but does any one think that some chapters may make use of this method to preserve experience and knowledge that could other wise be lost with the death of an experienced battle brother? I could personally see this being a viable way of giving scouts or even full marines a little head start and even using it a way of honouring a particually Heroic astartes. " whats for lunch? " " Calgar Fritters again,I wouldn`t mind but he`s so bland"

Adra
30-05-2007, 14:45
well there are plenty of different ways that marines deal with the body after its been stripped of u armour and stuff. buried, burnt, stasis, fired into space, boiled so the bones can be used...and so on.

As for the eating of the dead...im not sure if any existaing chapter background has that but no reason why one wouldnt. seems fair enough to me.

Morris
30-05-2007, 14:47
The apothicaries take out your gene thingies with their eqsanguier (SP?)

Each chapter has it's own rituals for the dead though. The grey Knights for example have a crypt and the body is carried in a coffin with their armour on and their weapon on their chest in their hands (King Arthur Style) for a parade of honour about Titan.

etham
30-05-2007, 14:53
I imagine most of the blood angel successor chapters, and maybe a few others, would consume the flesh of their brother marines. I think that's where they were going with that piece of fluff. Other chapters probably have another process or refrain from the practice altogether.

The rest of the body is probably entombed or ritually destroyed, but I imagine the majority are just left of the battle field until the cleanup crew comes or natural forces consume the remains.

mistformsquirrel
30-05-2007, 15:40
well there are plenty of different ways that marines deal with the body after its been stripped of u armour and stuff. buried, burnt, stasis, fired into space, boiled so the bones can be used...and so on.

As for the eating of the dead...im not sure if any existaing chapter background has that but no reason why one wouldnt. seems fair enough to me.

Isn't there a Blood Angel successor that does that?

Flesh Eaters? (I know its not the Flesh Tearers; but I *THINK* I've read something about a Flesh Eaters chapter at one point or other...)

I may be wrong though.

Wolflord Havoc
30-05-2007, 15:48
Well it would be as varied as the number of chapters.

For example the Space Wolves strip their dead of armor and equipment etc - remove the geneseed and then burn the bodies on a huge pyre.

The 'Other chapter' (forgot its name Extigators or some such) in Warriors of Ultramar take their dead back to their battle fortress orbiting their world and intern the mumified bodies so that they now line the miles of corridors and the dust of heros long dead is breathed in by the current living members....much to Ureil Ventris Captain of Ultra Marines disgust.

I imagine that other Chapters might Harvest organs as spare parts or take the ashes and add it to the ashes of all the previous dead (I believe that the Dark Angels do this?).

The Imperial Fists take the bones of their dead and inscribe them with texts etc.

Curufew
30-05-2007, 16:09
Make flying servo skulls out of them !

Morris
30-05-2007, 16:23
Make flying servo skulls out of them !

Out of the emperors finest !?

Light of the Emperor
30-05-2007, 16:32
Mortifactors are the ones who have the creepy dead rituals in "Warriors of Ultramar".

ansible5
30-05-2007, 16:32

The 'Other chapter' (forgot its name Extigators or some such) in Warriors of Ultramar take their dead back to their battle fortress orbiting their world and intern the mumified bodies so that they now line the miles of corridors and the dust of heros long dead is breathed in by the current living members....much to Ureil Ventris Captain of Ultra Marines disgust.

the mortifactors

lunacite
30-05-2007, 17:30
The apothicaries take out your gene thingies with their eqsanguier (SP?)

The normal apothecaries use a Narthecium/Reductor to rip out the progenoid glands that hold the genetic material, Blood Angels Sanguinary Priests also presumably preserve their blood with the exsanguinator

harlequin21
30-05-2007, 21:19

Flesh Eaters? (I know its not the Flesh Tearers; but I *THINK* I've read something about a Flesh Eaters chapter at one point or other...)

I may be wrong though.

Yes it is the Flesh Eaters who do that, my mate plays them.
I think that it could be a viable way of gaining experience, but not by ingestion, maybe by liquefying and injecting it? (stomach acids might damage but i dont know... )
AFAIK the inquisition wouldnt be too *pleased* with the custom, guess that explains why any inquisitors which find out the FE's little secret usually dont come back having suffered an "unfortunate" ,shall we say, accident...

TheSonOfAbbadon
30-05-2007, 21:51
I believe the organ that allows marines to gain experience by eating brains is at the back of the throat, or in the throat somewhere.

Also, wouldn't injecting liquefied brains into your bloodsteam kill you?

Decius
30-05-2007, 23:07
My mate's marine chapter burns the marine's body while also using the very same flames to cook food. Basically, they use the funeral pyre as a BBQ and tell stories about their dead comrade while they eat. His marines come off as very rowdy, like the Space Wolves but not as up tight :p .

I have also heard of the Flesh Eaters. I thought they were a DIY chapter and thus not official. That being said, they are certainly cool and should be official.

Feor
31-05-2007, 00:34
In my chapter, once the Progenoid's been reclaimed, and his armour nad weapons taken back, the body is left on the battlefield or dumped into space. Not a very spiritual chapter, they know that dead marines are just parts.

Only exceptions would probably be against groups like the Tyranids or Kroot who would actually benefit from capturing a dead marine's body.

mistformsquirrel
31-05-2007, 00:48
Merely to add my own; since it seems to be the way the thread is going...

Among my lost legion; bodies are interred with ceramic burial masks and red shrouds under the Queen's palace. Their armor is set at the head of where the body lies so that it appears to be sitting and watching over the marine in death.

It's one of the traditions they brought along with them when the Emperor came to their homeworld whilst searching out their primarch.

harlequin21
31-05-2007, 10:25
Also, wouldn't injecting liquefied brains into your bloodsteam kill you?

No idea, i guess if the concentration was small enough no.
It wouldnt be a good idea anyway i think as the deceased marines memories wouldnt be controllable by the new "host", and so the flashbacks and experiences could happen at random intervals, not the best of things to happen in the middle of a battle i think;)

gitburna
31-05-2007, 11:26
in the thousand chapters of the loyal space marines,theres bound to be one or two chapters who'll eat their dead as a form of genetic memory/injesting of the wisdom of the ancients or whatever [re: Mortifactors]

However i'd imagine it wouldnt take much to get the attention of the adeptus terra and investigated by the Ordo Hereticus.

Sabbad
31-05-2007, 11:43
I can imagine that devouring the flesh of dead Marines is sometimes done in some SM chapters, and a great narrative hook. Maybe it corrupts the geneseed in someway, like inbreeding or something.

The Super Haggis
31-05-2007, 11:55
Hmmmm..... I doubt you could see the Ultramarines snacking on "Calgar fritters" however nice they taste! It may be possible with some more barbaric chpters such as Flesh Eaters though.

Think of it:

Ultramarine: "We are the proudest and noblest of marine chapters, faithfully upholding the tenents laid down by Roboute Guilliman in the Codex Astartes!"
Inquisitor: "Then why are you eating the fried testicles of your dead battle-brother?"
Ultramarine: "Ummmmmm.......knowledge!"
Inquisitor: "Riiiiiiiiight.....................wierdo"

Nick.

monkey child
31-05-2007, 12:03
Hmmmm..... I doubt you could see the Ultramarines snacking on "Calgar fritters" however nice they taste! It may be possible with some more barbaric chpters such as Flesh Eaters though.

Think of it:

Ultramarine: "We are the proudest and noblest of marine chapters, faithfully upholding the tenents laid down by Roboute Guilliman in the Codex Astartes!"
Inquisitor: "Then why are you eating the fried testicles of your dead battle-brother?"
Ultramarine: "Ummmmmm.......knowledge!"
Inquisitor: "Riiiiiiiiight.....................wierdo"

Nick.

See I think a lot of it comes down to the interprettation of space marines them selves, if you go for the shining paladins of the imperial creed smiting the bad and protecting the good, fair enough they probably wouldn`t.

If like me you think Astartes are 7 foot maniacs, who are constantly medicated to keep them stable, brain washed when nessesary and capable of killing without doubt, mercy or regret then it seems eminantly reasonable. i mean presumably they would have no qualms over eating a xeno to learn somthing about them and their tactics, then why would they be squeamish over munching on a dead battle brother, especially if it was carried in a ritual fashion and the corpse was given due respect.

The Super Haggis
31-05-2007, 12:10
Dunno just seems to me they have quita a lot of respect for their battle brothers but I suppose I usually go for the whole "shining paladins of the imperial creed smiting the bad and protecting the good;) :cheese: . I do see what you mean though it would be a good idea for them to eat the bodies of dead veterans to garner their experience it just seems that they have missed that out in the fluff, probably not having thought about it. My personal view is that, as people have shown, each chapter has it's individual death rites so possible some could involve this.

Nick.

monkey child
31-05-2007, 12:24
Oh youre just a big softy:D I just have a deep down feeling that the apothacaries arnt really take out the gene seed on death, theyre pumping in special source. Then all the Marine sit round crying with lobster crackers tucking into their mate.

Kriegschmidt
31-05-2007, 12:31
Build a bridge out of her! (him) :D

Kandarin
31-05-2007, 19:28
Cannibalism is considered taboo, unclean, 'icky', etc. as a part of our Western Christian(ish) culture. This is by no means a universal trait. There are plenty of other cultures wherein eating the dead is considered entirely appropriate or even as a way of truly honoring the deceased.

Don't be fooled by the 'medieval Europe' imagery. The Imperium is not Christian, nor even Western. As of the 40th millenium, those traditions are either dead or changed beyond recognition. While many Imperial planets may retain taboos against cannibalism, there is no overarching rule in the Imperial Creed or 'universal taboo' against it. The Inquisition would not give the Astartes grief unless that particular inquisitor happened to come from one of those particular planets, and perhaps not even then.

MeatGrinder
31-05-2007, 21:47

I may be wrong though.

Here is Chaplain desmodus's site all about the Flesh Eaters
http://flesheaters.net/

check out the background