PDA

View Full Version : 2000 Competitive Orcs

Plate
30-05-2007, 20:58
Hey everyone, this is my first Fantasy army. I wanted to know what everyone thought of it. I know most people hate Black Orc units, but I haven't tried any yet (although I have read many opinions from both sides, and decided they might be worth it). Anyways, hit me with constructive criticism. Thanks in advance.

1985 Points:

Heroes/Lords:
Black Orc Warboss 2 - 278
Boar, Shield, Heavy Armour, Battleaxe of the Last Waaagh!

Orc Big Boss - 132
Ulag's Akrit Axe, Heavy Armour, Shield, Boar

Black Orc Big Boss BSB - 180
Martog's Best Basha, Effigy of Mork, Heavy Armour, Boar

Orc Shaman Level 2 - 136
Nibbla's 'Itty Ring, Boar

Orc Shaman Level 2 - 166
Idol of Mork, Boar

Core:
25 Boyz - Full Command, Shields - 180

Special:
Black Orcs x 20 - Full Command, Shields - 318
Goblin Spear Chukka x 2 - Bully x 2 - 80
Goblin Rock Lobba - Bully - 75
Orc Boar Chariot - 80

I'm having a lot of trouble deciding what I should do with the last 15 points. I was thinking I could drop all the bullies in my army, which would give me another 15 points to play with. Or I could ditch the Idol of Mork, and grab a Staff of Baduumm which would give me 10 points. I was also thinking about getting a Waaagh Banner for my Black Orcs, but I need to free up 10 points to do so. Tell me what you think of the army, I want it to be competitive but still fun to play.

Plate
31-05-2007, 02:39
Anyone at all? Threads made after mine have gotten less views and more responses...

EvilIncarnate
31-05-2007, 07:00
Problems

1. You can only have 4 heroes/lords you have 5 so you need to drop one.

2. There is nothing to stop the enemy from flanking you besides the one chariot.

3. This is a very slow army and a small army at that with only 4 units.

Ideas

1. Upgrade one of the orcs heroes to a Battle standard.

2. Get some small units of wolf riders/spider riders to help flank the enemy or to stop the enemy from flanking you.

stashman
31-05-2007, 09:02
Take a Doom Diver instead of a Rock lobba.

Plate
31-05-2007, 17:36
Problems

1. You can only have 4 heroes/lords you have 5 so you need to drop one.

2. There is nothing to stop the enemy from flanking you besides the one chariot.

3. This is a very slow army and a small army at that with only 4 units.

Ideas

1. Upgrade one of the orcs heroes to a Battle standard.

2. Get some small units of wolf riders/spider riders to help flank the enemy or to stop the enemy from flanking you.

There is one lord and four heroes, which is legal. One of the Orc heroes is a BSB. You do make a good point about being flanked though, I'll see what I can do to fit more models in. As for replacing the Rock Lobba with a Doom Diver, would you mind explaining why you think this is a better choice (not trying to be rude, I'm new and I'd like to understand)?

Gimp
31-05-2007, 17:56
There is one lord and four heroes, which is legal. One of the Orc heroes is a BSB. You do make a good point about being flanked though, I'll see what I can do to fit more models in. As for replacing the Rock Lobba with a Doom Diver, would you mind explaining why you think this is a better choice (not trying to be rude, I'm new and I'd like to understand)?

No this is a missunderstanding.

You can have 4 characters in an army of 2000pts one of which can be a Lord.

So you can have 4 heros or 1 lord and 3 heros.

By the way doom diver is way better than a rok lobba is you have a spare rare choice. And 2 units of wolf riders are a must.

Plate
31-05-2007, 18:16
Thanks for clearing that up Gimp, I apologize EvilIncarnate.

Gimp
31-05-2007, 18:26
Thanks for clearing that up Gimp, I apologize EvilIncarnate.

No problem.

Drop the non BSB black orc boss, the chaiot and the rock lobba.

Then add a doom diver and some fast wolf dudes and it makes a "competitive list".

Keep the shamans on the boars (but put them in units) for just the reason that when charging it gives them a S5 and a S4 attack. As for the orc bullies in the spear chukkus (which are a must) are only if you feild lots of goblin units (stops the crew running if the goblin units run) however having one extra "body" does help.

By the way squig hoppers make great anti-skirmishers so if you play against alot of wood elves or beastman they are a must.

Plate
31-05-2007, 19:15
Honestly, I really don't like Goblins. Is it really a must to have them? I've been looking around Warseer and it seems like most armies are Goblin heavy (if not completely Night Goblin). One post really stuck out for me and it was Kodomas's (http://www.warseer.com/forums/showthread.php?t=84378). He has zero Goblins in his army (with the exception of the Goblin crews of course). Is there a way around Goblins that can keep you competitive? Maybe a second chariot or something?

Gimp
31-05-2007, 19:56
Honestly, I really don't like Goblins. Is it really a must to have them? I've been looking around Warseer and it seems like most armies are Goblin heavy (if not completely Night Goblin). One post really stuck out for me and it was Kodomas's (http://www.warseer.com/forums/showthread.php?t=84378). He has zero Goblins in his army (with the exception of the Goblin crews of course). Is there a way around Goblins that can keep you competitive? Maybe a second chariot or something?

HHHMMMM

To be honest Orcs are way better than Goblin and Night Goblin units. They are better in every aspect and are only a few points cheaper than a goblin. So in short Orc infantry is better than Goblin Infantry.

However a all-Orc army starts getting hard. One can get "away" with using warmachines with bullies however i fell wolf riders are a must and squig hoppers can be very power full.

However there are some other things you can use instead.

1. A very cheap unit of baor boyz (dont use savage ones) I am talking like 5 to 6 with no command to ward off enemy flankers.

2. A giant or Trolls to anchor a flank.

By the way chariots (orc ones even more so) are best used to suppour units in close combat not to hold flanks.

Plate
31-05-2007, 20:29
Alright, unfortunately I'm folding and including Goblins in my army (I hate the little buggers, Snotlings are hilarious though). How is this?

2000 Points:

Heroes/Lords:
Black Orc Warboss 2 - 278
Boar, Shield, Heavy Armour, Battleaxe of the Last Waaagh!

Black Orc Big Boss BSB - 180
Martog's Best Basha, Effigy of Mork, Heavy Armour, Boar

Orc Shaman Level 2 - 136
Nibbla's 'Itty Ring, Boar

Orc Shaman Level 2 - 166
Idol of Mork, Boar

Core:
5 Goblin Wolf Riders - Musician - 76
5 Goblin Wolf Riders - Musician - 76

Special:
Black Orcs x 20 - Full Command, Shields - 318
Goblin Spear Chukka x 2 - 70
Orc Boar Chariot - 80

Rare:
Goblin Doom Diver - 80

That should bring me to exactly 2000. The only problem I have now is that there are no bullies with my Spear Chukkas.

Gimp
31-05-2007, 22:59
Now thats a good list.

Just wondering where will you characters go.

Gimp
31-05-2007, 22:59
Now thats a good list.

Just wondering where will you characters go.

Plate
31-05-2007, 23:15
Hmmm. Warboss will be in the middle Orc Boyz unit, BSB will be in another unit of Boyz...not sure where I want to put the shamans. Black Orcs don't really need a character, it'd probably just get the shaman killed. I might just have them run around. Any ideas?

Plate
01-06-2007, 22:39
No ideas at all?

Twilight
02-06-2007, 16:57
No boars for your shamans? one could always go with the boar boyz that would work in your favour.

Plate
02-06-2007, 21:52
I was thinking about throwing in some Boar Boyz, but they're so expensive (point wise) I'd only be able to cover one flank instead of the two that I needed. Wish they were less expensive, because I really wanted an effective all Orc army.

waaagh!grimgor
06-06-2007, 00:39
use a night gobo, with g.squig, sneaky skewer, spiteful shield, protectyness amulet, and tricksy trinket, horrid hero killer, the little night gobo.