PDA

View Full Version : I'm debating Blood Angels or Space Wolves, mind helping?

dave40k
31-05-2007, 13:49
I have a force of Imperial Guard, a mix-match cluster**** ranging from Valhallans to Tallarn to Cadian with the Mordian looking Junior Officers. I started painting a few of them and realized I wasn't having much fun. It's wierd because every time I go back to painting them I begin to have fun again.

Anyhow, I also have a small Space Marines force, about 600 points (IG are 1138 points when buffed out the ***), and I'm considering expanding that. However, I would rather not go the generic Ultramarines route. I think the little lore I know of Blood Angels and Space Wolves is appealing to me. I like how Blood Angels get assault squads as troops (Assault Squads are my favorit unit in all of 40k), but I like the arctic feel of Space Wolves better... I like their atmosphere.

A lot of crying has been going around on forums lately about the Blood Angels list released in the recent White Dwarf and the one next month. I'm pretty much torn between Blood Angels and Space Wolves. To tell the truth, I think I'm leaning towards Space Wolves because of their atmosphere and lore and deviance from typical Space Marines.

While I love the way that Imperial Guard play and their style, I may be looking for something else or I may decide to keep on trucking with the Guard. Either way, any input would be greatly appreciated.

Maximus_Prime
31-05-2007, 14:10
When I'm stuck between choosing an army, I'll do something like flip a coin/roll a morale test/do 3 hits of acid and decide depending on my trip
BA technically won't have a full codex until next month with the next WD, though

WLBjork
31-05-2007, 16:45
The WD BA codex is more up-to-date than the SW codex though ;) even if you do have to wait another month.

If you're leaning more to the Wolves, go for it.

Okidus
31-05-2007, 17:29
if you say why you are considering BA that would help too.

If you re leaning towards SW, then go SW. they can be a very potent assault army, have great flavor and fluff, and will contrast the IG shooty style.

go wolves.

Darkhorse
31-05-2007, 20:08
For me it was a choice of SW or Salamanders, I'm a bit of a treadhead and the possibility of fielding a russ made me drool, plus there's the option of Wulfen in 13th Company, and you can be much more flexible in how you set up the force compared to the Codex chapters, but there it began to cross into the territory of the Alpha Legion, my other MEQ.
In the end I chose Sally's because I figured I didn't need all the flexibility the Wolves offered and I fancied the challange of a more restricted list.
The Wolves do have an excellent background to get into, I'd say go for it.

Feor
31-05-2007, 20:31
You know, you could just make a nordic themed Blood Angels Successor army. Call them... I dunno, the Snow Angels, maybe? :P

Seriously though, Blood Wolves, Blood Freezers, Ice Angels, numerous names you could pick for them, then just combine Space Wolf troops with Jump Packs and you're set to go. Can even use Wulfen as "counts as" Death Company.

As a matter of fact, I might think about stealing this army idea... hmm...

CaptainSenioris
31-05-2007, 20:40
Gotta love the wolves, even if the codex is a touch out of date, you will never see a more characterful SM army than a Space wolf army, with FW's recent Terminator add on's I may have to start mine again.

Blood angels are nice but there's just something about Space Wolves.

Bboy
31-05-2007, 21:00
Haven't seen the new BA rules yet but a friend of mine has been playing a jumpack blood angel army for years and it is hard to beat.

Between truegrit, the new rapired fire rules, and not bieng able to assult out of a rhino, SW are better at shortrange shoting then assult now. They also can only take 1 jumppack squad, though their bikes get three attacks on the charge to make up for it. I have also heard they are going to realese the new SW book summer or fall of next year, which is something to consider.

dave40k
31-05-2007, 21:00
THanks for all the ideas and suggestions everyone! I ended up getting a Space Wolves Codex and a Rune Priest, but now I realize the Space Wolves MUST be led by a Wolf Lord. Luckily the Rune Priest is unopened so I reckon I'll just take him back. I didn't see a generic "Wolf Lord" model though, how are you supposed to go about this if you don't have an army of 1,500points to field Ragnar Blackmane or 2,000points to field Logan Grimnar?

Feor
31-05-2007, 21:05
Get a regular Wolf Sergeant (or even use your rune priest) and convert him up to a Wolf Lord.

THough I'm telling ya, Blood Claws + jump packs = instant Blood Wolves. :)

dave40k
31-05-2007, 21:06
Get a regular Wolf Sergeant (or even use your rune priest) and convert him up to a Wolf Lord.

THough I'm telling ya, Blood Claws + jump packs = instant Blood Wolves. :)

I've got 5 Assault Marines assembled already, how do you suggest I convert them into what you're thinking?

Feor
31-05-2007, 21:10
well, too late for that bunch, perhaps.

But like I said above, if you like the Blood Angels rules, but the Space Wolves background, just put together a successor chapter to the BA that's got alot of elements matching the SW (maybe the AdMech tried to fix their combined mutations and just made it worse) and use the SW bodies. Blood Claws come with pistol+Chainsword, so throw some jump packs on them and you've got an instant assault squad, Wulfen could be used as Death Companny, Baal predator is a littel scarier (if shorter ranged) than the Leman Russ, etc. etc.

Karhedron
31-05-2007, 21:36
I have also heard they are going to realese the new SW book summer or fall of next year, which is something to consider.
Really? Latest rumours I have heard suggest SWs are a lot further off than that. However rumours being what they are I would be quite happy to be proved wrong.

With the changes slowly percolating through the SM lists (combat squads, loss of the armoury etc) I think that SWs are actually getting stronger (comparitively speaking). You can still tool up SW squads exactly the size and weapons that you want and you can get a shed load of wargear to chose from.

Krog Ironclaw
31-05-2007, 22:40
I'd go with the Wolves. If only because Wulfen are so kickass

silence
31-05-2007, 22:47
Funny enough I bouth the Space Wolf omnibus book a couple of days ago, and am now starting to collect a SW army. Seriously read these books, the fluff will make you go all nordic....

skavenman
31-05-2007, 23:22
Only problem with SW is if you live in the USA you'll have problems finding an Army Book as there no longer in the US store.

victorpofa
31-05-2007, 23:29
Go with the Sons of Russ if you like them, but for a Jump army go Blood Angels. The current codex has horrible point costs for Jump Pack and Bike troops. They use the Blood Claw stat line, but are the same price or more than the vanilla marine equivalents. Same goes for Terminators. I am avoiding both for now.

I chose the Wolves because of the Leman Russ option. Their background is great, but many of the better models are out of production. You can find many Space Wolf models at www.chaosorc.com. I picked up the wolf helmeted captain who is my Wolf Guard Battle Leader from them. E-bay sometimes provides a gem or two as well. I managed to get a small pile of Wolf Guard to lead squads, and two Exterminators to put the fear of Russ in my foes on E-bay for reasonable prices (after losing a few dozen auctions that were bid way too high). With the Exterminator you can always buy a regular Leman Russ and get the turret from Forgeworld. If I had known about it I would have gone that route.

Unfortunately there is no generic Wolf Lord model. I have an old style Long Fang Sergeant who will make a fine Wolf Lord, and a Leman Russ (the Primarch, not the tank) model on order that I might do as a Wolf Lord.

Also remember that you need 2 HQs for a 1500 point force with Space Wolves. The Rune Priest is the Wolf version of a Librarian and is an HQ choice so you might want to keep him.

If you want more background into the way the Wolves operate read the Space Wolf Omnibus. I just finished the last book in the collection last night. Not a bad set of books for genre fiction.

dave40k
31-05-2007, 23:30
http://img168.imageshack.us/img168/2193/wolflordit2.jpg

You think that guy could be converted into a Wolf Lord? What should I do to make him more distinguishable without having to order stuff online? I have a few ribbons and I was considering gluing a knife across his back, does that sound good? Should he make use of True Grit and replace that Bolt Pistol with a Boltgun? I'm just kind of confused about this whole thing, just making sure that the proper way to get a wolf lord is usually to make one?

Bboy
31-05-2007, 23:39
Really? Latest rumours I have heard suggest SWs are a lot further off than that. However rumours being what they are I would be quite happy to be proved wrong.

I heard they were supose to be next after Chaos and Orks, but that was a while ago so it could have changed.

Baneboss
31-05-2007, 23:42
Buy more valhallans if you like snowy themes. I guess not many people around in your area play fully metal IG army so you will have very original force. Everyone and his dog has marines.

dave40k
31-05-2007, 23:56
Valhallans are cool, I have 20something of them. Problem is I'm not willing to shell out all the money for the metal models, and it's probably also pretty tough to find them. I'm not going to abandon the Valhallans though, or the rest of my IG for that matter, because they were given to me for free. I like the play style of IG and I had fun in the game I played with them, but I don't really want to be controlling an army of Humans. I play a human everyday IRL, I'd like some sort of a change.

Krog Ironclaw
01-06-2007, 01:02
If you like Valhallans and you like Sapce Wolves there is an option that will allow you to use both:
Lost and the Damned (Krog's Answer To Everything)

Valhallans=Traitors
Wulfen=Berzerkers
Russ=Traitor Tank
Wolf Lord=Chaos Lord/Chaos Space Marine Aspiring Champion
Venerable Dreadnought=Defiler/Daemon Prince/Greater Demon
Maybe throw in some Dire Wolves, use em as Chaos Hounds, and call them Fenrisian Wolves.
This would allow you to have a force of Space Wolves with not many Marines, make use of your IG, and still be fun.

Actually, I love that idea.

dave40k
01-06-2007, 01:20
If you like Valhallans and you like Sapce Wolves there is an option that will allow you to use both:
Lost and the Damned (Krog's Answer To Everything)

Valhallans=Traitors
Wulfen=Berzerkers
Russ=Traitor Tank
Wolf Lord=Chaos Lord/Chaos Space Marine Aspiring Champion
Venerable Dreadnought=Defiler/Daemon Prince/Greater Demon
Maybe throw in some Dire Wolves, use em as Chaos Hounds, and call them Fenrisian Wolves.
This would allow you to have a force of Space Wolves with not many Marines, make use of your IG, and still be fun.

Actually, I love that idea.

I would do that, it sounds like a great idea and I even picked up Codex: Eye of Terror just for reading about The Lost and the Damned, but my only beef as of now is that it is not Tournament Legal. As for now I play casual games with just one other person, but I plan on playing with other people this summer, sometime in July.

Krog Ironclaw
01-06-2007, 01:40
Regardless of whether or not they are Tournemant legal, LaTD are a very fun army to play. And Im tempted to start up a Lost Space Wolves army after going through that idea myself.

victorpofa
01-06-2007, 01:50
http://img168.imageshack.us/img168/2193/wolflordit2.jpg

You think that guy could be converted into a Wolf Lord? What should I do to make him more distinguishable without having to order stuff online? I have a few ribbons and I was considering gluing a knife across his back, does that sound good? Should he make use of True Grit and replace that Bolt Pistol with a Boltgun? I'm just kind of confused about this whole thing, just making sure that the proper way to get a wolf lord is usually to make one?

Decide how you want to equip your Wolf Lord before building/converting your model. True Grit allows a bolter and CCW, but if you are going to have him run with assaulty troops maybe keep the pistol since using a bolter takes away your extra attack on the charge. And if you want a power weapon/fist the chainsword might need replacing. If that is the case you might want to start with a fresh marine figure, and keep this guy as a Blood Claw Sergeant, or Wolf Guard Battle Leader.

dave40k
01-06-2007, 02:13
Alright, thanks for the advice. How would I go about getting a Space Wolf Sergeant? Are they sold like that or do they generally come in boxes along with Grey Hunters and that sort of thing? I don't have a Games Workshop store around here, but for things like this I wish I did.

As a rule of thumb would you say True Grit is only worth it if I plan on having the unit be shooty?

Another question, I have a Leman Russ Battle Tank already assembled with everything neccesary to make it a Exterminator... except it's main weapon. Is there a way to buy just the Twin Linked Autocannon? I realize I could probably get this sort of thing from Ebay or any other place online, but I like the immediacy of stores better.

Last question, much like the previous: is there any easy way to get a bunch of power weapons and power fists? Sucks that I have the Space Marines here to convert but I don't have a single Power Fist. A minor question, what's the small piece that I have on a sprue with what appears to be a scope... ehh let me reword that. I have something that's small, has a little loop on the bottom, something narrow kind of like a handle, then at the top it is somewhat circular with four little nobs out the top and a little loop next to the nobs?

BattleSarge
01-06-2007, 02:23
I had the same choice a few years back. Now I have 20K points worth of Space Wolves. I made the choice during 1ed. and have loved the fluff ever since.

Master Bait
01-06-2007, 02:28
Funny enough I bouth the Space Wolf omnibus book a couple of days ago, and am now starting to collect a SW army. Seriously read these books, the fluff will make you go all nordic....

ugh, that book was terrible.

better to just stick with all the codexes, find the old 2nd ed book and read all the background in that one

dave40k
01-06-2007, 02:43
Old second edition? The Codex I bought today says Second Printing on the inside. Is there a more recent one than that?

Krog Ironclaw
01-06-2007, 02:55
by Second Printing it means an update most likely. Not Second Edition as in version of the game.

Feor
01-06-2007, 03:10
Another question, I have a Leman Russ Battle Tank already assembled with everything neccesary to make it a Exterminator... except it's main weapon. Is there a way to buy just the Twin Linked Autocannon? I realize I could probably get this sort of thing from Ebay or any other place online, but I like the immediacy of stores better.

If you don't want to wait you could always buy a couple of Imperial Guard heavy weapons teams and convert it up with the Autocannons from there. (alternatly, just trade/beg for the guns from another guard player)

You can also buy an Exterminator autocannons bit by bitz order from GW.

Wolfsbane
01-06-2007, 03:40
I think you have to ask yourself what you'd like to play.

Blood Angels - A tormented chapter of marines whom have visions of their primarch being slain by the great betrayer Horus. It drives them mad, into a blood frenzy where they will bear down upon the great Emperor's enemies without care of personal injury. They drink blood, smash face, and take names.

Space Wolves - Space vikings, they use tactics similar to a wolf pack. They distract and strike the neck. Tooth and claw, bolter and chainsword, Space Wolves use the knowledge of their elders to over-come whatever comes their way. The wolves are a tight knit pack that do things their way no matter the cost.

CaptainSenioris
01-06-2007, 10:19
If you're any good with green stuff the best way to get a model to look SW is to give it a wild looking beard/facial hair. Little totems and wolf tooth necklaces are also great.

It really looks like you could do with the plastic SW sprue, you seem to have internet so why not use GW's online store, you can get everything you need there, delivered to your door.

Just for info what country are you actually in? In some countries its harder to get GW stuff than others.

As for your Russ remove the battle cannon barrel and put some guard autocannons in there, with a little work it could look good.

dave40k
01-06-2007, 13:42
Alright thanks for the ideas. While I like the torment of the Blood Angels, I think I'll go with the Space Wolves since they seem like more of a niche than Blood Angels. I guess I'll have to order bitz online some time. I live in the US and the Games Workshop Online Store here is SLOW from my experiences. I waited two or three weeks to get a Dark Eldar Codex (I have nine codices and no completed army). Space Wolves sound more tactical, right?

I'm not good with green stuff as I've never used it before, but I'm thinking I could maybe give him a Space Marines helmet head and paint it yellow to match the shoulder. Think that sounds alright?

GrimWulf
01-06-2007, 16:54
Ok, one thing I think I need to help clarify here for you is this. You do not require a Wolf Lord in your list. Space Wolves just need to have an HQ choice present for every 750 points or part thereof. ie: a 751pt battle you need Two HQ's. And please shoot the person that asked you to do a 751 point battle :)

CaptainSenioris
01-06-2007, 17:43
Only 13th company space wolves require a wolf lord.

To make a decent looking wolf lord, that isn't Ragnar or Logan, without major work with green stuff or other conversion stuff, get a plastic space marine commander box set when you get your other space wolf box sets, and maybe an extra sprue or two of the space wolf sprues(believe me they're great) for this.

If you are on a low income, save up then get all the stuff together. I know you want your models now but it'll likely arrive quicker than ordering just a single codex, might be cheaper in postage too.

Hope that I've helped you somewhat.

P.S. I don't know what it's like in the states but over here you can't talk about doing space wolves, or blood angels for that matter, without someone bring up insinuations that they are chaos worshippers. Don't believe anything that they say.

dave40k
01-06-2007, 18:27
Oh so the Space Wolves DON"T require a Wolf Lord? Hmm I must've read that wrong or something. I'm at school right now and didn't bring my codex with me so I can't look it up to see my mistake. So if this is the case then I am actually pretty happy with my choice of a Rune Priest. I realized that it was for every 750pts you'd need another HQ, but I didn't realize that 751-1500 is the margin for TWO HQs, for some reason I thought that fell into the category of still needing just one. So even if I did need a Wolf Lord I would have been fine with my Rune Priest since my minimal army from SM Battleforce and Battle for Macragge is 600pts without and real beefing up.

Thank you so much for that information! That took a lot of stress off me. Sounds like some of you play Space Wolves yourselves, how do you like the painting approach suggested by the codex, which is a simple spray of Shadow Grey? That sounds good to me since I am still an inexperienced painter.

Captain Micha
01-06-2007, 19:07
maybe use the new ba rules for your wolves.

leman russ aside should not be too hard..

why is it the deviants are all assault armies *L* Bt, Ba, Sw... all choppy choppy and stabby stabby.

Da and smurfs shooty shooty. *scratches head*

I must admit I have a very special place in my heart for the space wolves. I think they are some of the coolest marines out there. Come on, who doesn't love a drunk in power armor?!

GrimWulf
01-06-2007, 19:32
why is it the deviants are all assault armies *L* Bt, Ba, Sw... all choppy choppy and stabby stabby.

Da and smurfs shooty shooty. *scratches head*

And yet DA are the ones who had half their chapter fall to Chaos. :)

Thank you so much for that information! That took a lot of stress off me.

No problem, when reading through the thread it certainly sounded like it wasn't something you wanted to do and no one else had pointed it out previously. And, yes I play SW... and IG... and Tau.... contemplated LatD.

how do you like the painting approach suggested by the codex, which is a simple spray of Shadow Grey? That sounds good to me since I am still an inexperienced painter.

As far as painting goes, I use a base coat of shadow grey and highlight/drybrush space wolf grey over top. Easy even for a novice painter and IMO gives a good look. I've done all my SW models like that including vehicles, with the exception of my Land Raider which has too many flat featureless pieces to make a drybrush look good. on that I did roughly a 65/35 mix of shadow grey/space wolf grey

TheHaunted
01-06-2007, 19:33
Look, BA have assault marines, Baal Predators and Death Company. SW have Wolf Scouts that pop a tank from behind every game, Blood Claws= Better than Assault Marines, and Dreadnaughts for HQs. They both have their advantages, it's all in how you play them. Remember if you try out one force, just dont paint it and if you dont like it play it with the other rules and then decide which one you like. IMO red is harder to make look good.

-TheHaunted

Captain Micha
01-06-2007, 19:51
you almost always have to use a gloss of some kind with red. otherwise it looks flat in my experience.

Red space marines would be easier than red necrons though I think.

victorpofa
01-06-2007, 20:54
Oh so the Space Wolves DON"T require a Wolf Lord? Hmm I must've read that wrong or something. I'm at school right now and didn't bring my codex with me so I can't look it up to see my mistake. So if this is the case then I am actually pretty happy with my choice of a Rune Priest. I realized that it was for every 750pts you'd need another HQ, but I didn't realize that 751-1500 is the margin for TWO HQs, for some reason I thought that fell into the category of still needing just one. So even if I did need a Wolf Lord I would have been fine with my Rune Priest since my minimal army from SM Battleforce and Battle for Macragge is 600pts without and real beefing up.

Thank you so much for that information! That took a lot of stress off me. Sounds like some of you play Space Wolves yourselves, how do you like the painting approach suggested by the codex, which is a simple spray of Shadow Grey? That sounds good to me since I am still an inexperienced painter.

Here is the Forgeworld Exterminator turret:
http://www.forgeworld.co.uk/acatalog/IMPERIAL_GUARD_TANKS.html

Wolf Lord is 0-1 meaning you can't have more than one, and can skip him if you wish. Definitely keep the Rune Priest since the wolves can never have too many HQ's :)

I would wait until the right concept and base model come along before doing your Wolf Lord. he will likely be the centerpiece of your army so no need to rush.

The Wolf Guard in powered armor, Captain, and Sergeants are out of production. I got mine off e-bay and with ancient boxes of metal Space Wolf squads. They are still available from GW:

Leman Russ and Wolves
http://store.us.games-workshop.com/storefront/store.us?do=Individual&code=99060101294&orignav=9

Captain
http://store.us.games-workshop.com/storefront/store.us?do=Individual&code=99060101251&orignav=9

Wolf Guard
http://store.us.games-workshop.com/storefront/store.us?WCI=Menu&WCE=Search&Query=Wolf+and+Guard&System=&Image1.x=0&Image1.y=0&Image1=Search

Blood Claw Sergeant
http://store.us.games-workshop.com/storefront/store.us?do=Individual&code=9947010101601&orignav=9

Grey Hunter Sergeant:
http://store.us.games-workshop.com/storefront/store.us?do=Individual&code=9947010101301&orignav=9

Standard Bearer
http://store.us.games-workshop.com/storefront/store.us?do=Individual&code=99060101132&orignav=9

Long Fang Sergeant (Possible Wolf Lord for my army)
http://store.us.games-workshop.com/storefront/store.us?do=Individual&code=9947010101501&orignav=9

Extra Space Wolf Sprues
http://store.us.games-workshop.com/storefront/store.us?do=Individual&code=99380101012&orignav=9

For painting I prime in black, paint armor in Sombre Grey (Vallejo equivalent to Shadow Grey) but leave the weapons, joints, backpack vents, mouth grill, and that recess on the top front of the backpacks black so they can be drybrushed silver. Then paint details. Takes forever, but I like the results. I can't highlight to save my life so I concentrate on details so you don't notice the lack of highlights :)

You might also consider getting one or more Space Wolf Battleforces. They come with a squad of Blood Claws, a squad of Grey Hunters, 3 Bikes, a Rhino, and 3 Space Wolf Upgrade Sprues. I am going to use the bikes for my Ravenwing force since Space Wolf bikes are not worth fielding IMHO.

Hope this helps.

dave40k
02-06-2007, 17:05
Thanks for all those links! I'm gonna have to order that Exterminator Turret ASAP, that thing is cool as hell. I can't quite determine what to do with some of them though, like the sergeants. Are those mostly used to create a Wolf Lord or to lead Blood Claws / Grey Hunters? I looked at my codex and I didn't see any listing for them.

For my Rune Priest, he comes with a Plasma Pistol and some sort of an axe. I'm guessing it's either a Frost Axe (since it's an axe), or a Rune Weapon (since rune weapons are runepriest only). Any idea what it could be? And should he remain equipped with the Plasma Pistol or should a bolter be slapped on to take advantage of True Grit?

I think I'm gonna go ahead and get a Space Wolves Battleforce since it seems to have a lot of nice things in it, and especially because it comes with Space Wolves sprues which I assume have power weapons and stuff on it I can put with my Space Marines from the regular SM Battleforce. I wish that SW Battleforce came with Long Fangs or a Dreadnought, that would be nice.

Are Plasma Pistols really worth it for most models? I see a lot of models in a lot of units can be upgraded with it, but it is useful? And when is it most useful to use a Bolter with 1 hand?

That's all I can think of right now, but I'm sure there's more. Thanks for all the help already!

CushionRide
02-06-2007, 17:13
as for me i would have to wait to see the codex's to compair what army i would want, as i already have a blood angels army i would probably go with that, i just like using 6 dreads ^_^

GrimWulf
02-06-2007, 19:23
True Grit IMO isn't worth it. It gives you the option of having a bit of range sure, but Wolves want to close that range more often then not. Also if you plan on charging, you cannot shoot your bolters in the same turn, likewise, if charging you dont get +1A because of the Bolter.

Plasma pistols are really nice IMO, the higher strength shot, with the low AP is a nice addition to the squad. against another MEQ it's always nice to deny armour saves. And the higher strength of 7 means you technically can bring down all but the heaviest of vehicles in a pinch.

LoneSniperSG
02-06-2007, 21:12
You know, you could just make a nordic themed Blood Angels Successor army. Call them... I dunno, the Snow Angels, maybe? :P

Seriously though, Blood Wolves, Blood Freezers, Ice Angels, numerous names you could pick for them, then just combine Space Wolf troops with Jump Packs and you're set to go. Can even use Wulfen as "counts as" Death Company.

As a matter of fact, I might think about stealing this army idea... hmm...

Someone's done that. And I heard (from a wolves player, anyway) It wasn't very pretty...

Oh, and in regard to the question about the Wolf Guard, the Pack Leader listing is under the same heading as the Bodyguard listing. Both are worth the same points as well. If you have Bodyguards -and- pack leaders at the same time, both only count as one elite choice on the force organization chart.

I can't really offer any good or bad way to go, both options have their uses.

victorpofa
03-06-2007, 05:06
Thanks for all those links! I'm gonna have to order that Exterminator Turret ASAP, that thing is cool as hell. I can't quite determine what to do with some of them though, like the sergeants. Are those mostly used to create a Wolf Lord or to lead Blood Claws / Grey Hunters? I looked at my codex and I didn't see any listing for them.

No problem. I am still building my own Space Wolves and just sharing what I have learned from the process. The Sergeants are just nice leaders of your squads that look different, and are equipped with Power Fist (Blood Claw Sergeant) or Power Sword (Grey Hunter Sergeant). You could use them as Wolf Guard instead if you wanted. :)

I have two squads each of Grey Hunters and Blood Claws. Each has a Sergeant of the appropriate type, and an attached Wolf Guard squad leader. This gives each Blood Claw squad up to 3 power fists, and each Grey Hunter squad up to 3 power weapons (Since that's what the various metal models come equipped with).

For my Rune Priest, he comes with a Plasma Pistol and some sort of an axe. I'm guessing it's either a Frost Axe (since it's an axe), or a Rune Weapon (since rune weapons are runepriest only). Any idea what it could be? And should he remain equipped with the Plasma Pistol or should a bolter be slapped on to take advantage of True Grit?

That could be a power axe, rune axe or frost axe. I would not use it as a standard CCW since that would be a waste on such a combat monster. Plasma pistols are nice, but I am wary of plasma due to the "gets hot" rule. My Wolf Priest is not using his Plasma Pistol. I put magnets in his arm and swapped out for a Bolt Pistol and put him with some Blood Claws on the front lines :) I would do the same with the Rune Priest, and he can shield his or a nearby squad with his Storm Caller power. The only thing separating the stat lines of the Wolf Guard Battle Leader, Wolf Priest, and Rune Priest from the Wolf Lord is one wound. All are major combat monsters.

I think I'm gonna go ahead and get a Space Wolves Battleforce since it seems to have a lot of nice things in it, and especially because it comes with Space Wolves sprues which I assume have power weapons and stuff on it I can put with my Space Marines from the regular SM Battleforce. I wish that SW Battleforce came with Long Fangs or a Dreadnought, that would be nice.

Each upgrade sprue comes with a Space Wolf themed power sword, power axe, power fist, wolf head backpack, wolf skull shoulder pad, wolf pelt marine body, and various other bits.

I would avoid buying Long Fangs unless you want to get some of the old, distinctive ones. Instead pick up the new plastic Devastators and convert using a Space Wolf upgrade sprue. You get two of each heavy weapon except missile launcher and multi-melta. Plus they are $5 cheaper than the Long Fangs box. That covers an upgrade sprue from GW, and you don't have to deal with metal and plastic minis. As far as Dreads are concerned the only way to get a Wolfy sarcophagus is to get the Venerable Dread (which is the Bjorn the Fell Handed model repackaged), or order the sarcophagus from GW and combine it with an unassembled metal Dread. We have to wait until the new Codex before we have a chance of seeing a plastic Space Wolf sarcophagus cover like the Dark Angel one. On my plastic model I added a Space Wolf vehicle icon to the plate on the right of the sarcophagus.

Are Plasma Pistols really worth it for most models? I see a lot of models in a lot of units can be upgraded with it, but it is useful? And when is it most useful to use a Bolter with 1 hand?

Once again, yes they can have insane amounts of plasma, but be wary of "gets hot". I plan on using it sparingly unless faced with a lot of armor or Nidzilla. Then the risk is more than worth it IMHO.

I put Bolters on all my troops that are not intended to fly into combat as their main focus. In other words everyone not attached to Blood Claw squads, or focused on melee. My Wolf Priest, being a Chaplain, is a CC monster so no Bolter for him. My Wolf Lord will have his choice of weapons depending on my planned tactics thanks to magnets. I am learning that balance myself, and hope that I don't regret modeling bolters on all my Grey Hunters. :skull:

That's all I can think of right now, but I'm sure there's more. Thanks for all the help already!

Glad to help.

LoneSniperSG
04-06-2007, 00:11
...and two Exterminators to put the fear of Russ in my foes on E-bay for reasonable prices...

Ahem.. I know this thread was on page two, but part of me won't let this go.

Space Wolves can only have one Leman Russ Exterminator.

victorpofa
04-06-2007, 00:30
Ahem.. I know this thread was on page two, but part of me won't let this go.

Space Wolves can only have one Leman Russ Exterminator.

Quite true. I had accumlated a few extra models when purchasing lots on ebay. Enough to field a second 1500 point Space Wolves force, so I picked up a second Exterminator so that army could have one as well :)

It was a purchase of opportunity that only cost me about $25 with shipping. Not bad for a tank model in good shape.

High Marshall Xias
04-06-2007, 01:19
well i have played blood angels and a friend of mine does space wolves. i think they are both great but i think blood angels are to random and play gets repetative wolves are controlled a bit more well except for blood claws.

none the less they are both close combat armies and are very effecient in the art of killing

use chainsword that way you can go in jason style