PDA

View Full Version : Question re: Sketch Up (and other 3D design programs)

verydarkshadow
31-05-2007, 20:03
So just one simple question (at least for some of you, I'm sure).

I'm looking at downloading SketchUp from Google, mostly to help with some modeling projects I'd like to start. So for those of you that have use this program, what do you think of it? Can you produce templates of the models you construct? Are the model dimensions accurate enough that they could be reproduced in real life?

I'm very much new to the whole 3D design thing, so absolutely any advice you guys can provide is appreciated. :)

Mr Zephy
31-05-2007, 20:33
I think it's ok. Worth what i paid for it :P

The model dimensions i'd imagine are as accurate as most computer things are.

teh_soldier
31-05-2007, 20:48
Seen quite a few good 40k vehicles designs made using it.
Useful if you're scratchbuilding rather than kitbashing.

You'll have to get used to 3D movement, which I'm crap with.

verydarkshadow
31-05-2007, 21:01
I was under the impression it was free...?

Meh. I guess I'll go for it anyways. Thanks for the help! :)

teh_soldier
01-06-2007, 10:49
It is free, he's making a tongue in cheek comment, worth what he paid for it, he paid nothing...etc.

lord_fenric
01-06-2007, 12:33
Another alternative in the free 3D modelling department is Blender, its pretty good *IF* you can work through the steep learning curve of its interface.

Phyros
01-06-2007, 13:49
I would think that any kind of drawing program where you could give specific line dimensions/lengths would work for what you are looking for.

It's when you go to print you have to make sure you're printing at the right scale.

Mr Zephy
01-06-2007, 17:24
I would think that any kind of drawing program where you could give specific line dimensions/lengths would work for what you are looking for.

It's when you go to print you have to make sure you're printing at the right scale.

Just for reference: Sketchup does this.

tzeentchgiant
01-06-2007, 18:10
Sketch-up is good for throwing anything up into 3D very quickly. In terms of accuracy it's no where near as good as AutoCAD, but that's not really what it's about, which is visualisation.

That said for what you intend to use it for it will work fine :).

TG