PDA

View Full Version : New to 40k - Help!

Omnivore
31-05-2007, 21:57
I have played Warhammer Fantasy for a long time now, and my gaming group and I are getting pretty tired of it, so we are heading on to Warhammer 40k.

So, I want to play an Army as far from Fantasy as I can get, meaning tons of vehicles, so Imperial Guard caught my eye, more particularly, Armored Company.

I know that its not Tournement legal, but we play pretty casual games, and if I did go to one, could I just play a tank-heavy regular guard army?

so my questions to you all are:

1) how effective is IG as a whole? particulalry on a table with tons of terrain?

2) how effective is a mechanized Armored Company list?

3) ive heard that IG is an expensive army, even by normal Warhammer standards, is this true? does it apply to tank heavy armies?

4) would people have fun playing against an IG army? is to fun too play? or do you just sit there and shoot things, not moving at all?

5) Are they do for a redo anytime soon? should I hold off building an army untill then?

thanks in advance!

edit- spelling

Formarion
31-05-2007, 22:19
1) Guard can be nasty on large tables with lots of terrain. I played against an all infantry IG force in cityfight and he stomped all over me. The amount of flamers he could pack into his squads just had me at a loss.

2) I haven't played against or used a Mech IG list before, so I can't help you there I am afraid. I have HEARD that they are quite fun to play, but take a bit to master.

3) Depending on where you live, and how you buy your models, if you're looking at about 30 per tank, and that will quickly add up if you're planning on 1500 points games. If you take doctrines and go for more elite guardsmen (Carapace and so forth) then you can cut down on the amount of models (and money) you have to spend.

4) IG is very fun to play. You can play the static line if you want, but in 40k it hardly ever works properly if you just line up and shoot. IG have some good assault options, not to mention the ability to field a massive amount of bog-standard troops in smaller games than almost any army in the game. Many of your units will be used as either buffers or meatshields, but lots of fun is to be had at charging a group of conscripts into a Bloodthirster ^_^.

5) I don't think so, they were one of the more recent codex reduxes for 3rd edition, so I can see them being able to wait until the end of '08 for a new codex. Don't quote me on that though, as this is just my personal opinion on the codex as it stands just now. You should be safe with buying a bucketload of guardsmen because, either way, the Cadian troops will probably be standard for quite a while with maybe the minimal of improvements.

Bregalad
01-06-2007, 00:04
Keep in mind that there are other possible tank heavy armies, like mobile Tau or Eldar.

Drogmir
01-06-2007, 00:34
Hey keep those Xenos races outta here!

Trust me if you want Tanks IG are the only choice.

ImperialFist18
01-06-2007, 00:39
Imperial Guard is a mass army which means that your gonna need a lot of models in order for your army to be effective on the battlefield. Since this is the case, you are obviously going to need to invest a lot of money into your Imperial Guard army seeing that on their own they are faitly week and you need many models to do well.

MysteryGilgamesh
01-06-2007, 00:42
IG? Time for that 2nd morgage!

Light of the Emperor
01-06-2007, 00:58
Go with plastic guard unless you are really set on one of the metal ranges. I have 120+ metal vostroyans which threatens to collapse the game table.

The IG are an awesome force but may take a while to build up and paint. Coming from fantasy though, you may be used to painting large amounts of models for single troop selections.

Omnivore
01-06-2007, 01:07
awsome

thanks guys! you guys are a great help.

just to specify, my two main opponents will be Tau and Marines, are either of these particularly hard to overcome? I know Necrons are a tough matchup, and im not afraid of a challenge, just want to know if im fighting an uphill battle.

so to start off I should probably just pick up the book, a battalion, a box of cadians and a command group? that will give me a Leman Russ, 40 rank-and-file, HQ and enough heavy weapons to fill it out a bit. Around how many points would this give me? where should I go from there?

My group will be building slowly, starting at games of only a few hundred points, probably work up to play 1,000, maybe 1.5k or team games.

thanks again guys, look forward to your replies. :)

Drogmir
01-06-2007, 01:10
Tau are a bit hard for IG or for any army if they can outshoot you and you brought a shooty army.