PDA

View Full Version : Space Marines or Chaos?

ChaosTicket
31-05-2007, 22:17
These two armies are both good. Let's go to some comparisons.

Raptors VS Assault Marines

Raptors cost 8points more(with MoCU), can't take melta bombs, can't deep strike and can only have 1 squad in your army. What do you get in return? a -2 morale damage effect when opponent takes a break test and the option for 3 special weapons instead of 2.

Assault Marines with with 8 points cheaper and melta bombs for 2points

Havocs VS Devastators

Havocs can purchase Tank Hunters, infiltrators ect. but only one (with MoCU) so it seems havocs are better. They can't take Plasma Cannons, which limits they Anti-Heavy Infantry ability, which evens it out.

Do You think the Options Chaos gets for higher costs, more limited units, etc. Makes up for increase options like daemons, skills, Marked Units?

cleansingfury
31-05-2007, 22:44
No take marines, people call them less cheesy, unless you count rending. But even then the chaos will eventually be stripped of their all mighty powers a s chaos. Go marines!

Brother Alecium
31-05-2007, 22:46
I have two Marine armies and a Death Guard army, and have been succesful with both against both armies.(Hope that made sense)I do think that the unit boosts and upgrades with marks and the large large armory for Chaos helps to balance out the flexibility of loyalist marine units.

Cirenivel
31-05-2007, 23:07
I usually find Havos and Devastators just as hefty. However, I prefer havocs, because they can fulfill so many more roles in the army.
Want rhino borne assault troops with 4 special weapons? use some havocs.
Want some anti-terminators? Take Havocs with plasmaguns etc.

Just something you forgot to mention on assault marines VS: Raptors:

1: MoCU is not Mandatory.
2: Meltabombs costs 2pts, so the assault marines are actually just 5 points cheaper than raptors
3: Raptors have this little, funny special rule called Hit and Run. You forgot to mention that.
4: Raptor Asschampions is 2pts cheaper and can take all kinds of funky skills and equipment
5: Raptors can take meltaguns. Last time I checked, assault marines could not.
6: Raptors come with +1 Ld

Conclusion: Raptors are worth exactly the same as assault marines. they're better (and can be much better), but pay for it with a couple of points

Cirenivel

the1stpip
31-05-2007, 23:21
Ultimately, all this debate is for nought, seeing as the Codex: Chaos is around the corner.

When you throw daemons and the like into the mix (they are being nerfed mind, at least until Codex Daemonica comes out) and the Chaos army is a much nastier army.

Space Marines tend to be well balanced, while Chaos armies tend to go in one direction (normally assault, but with some exceptions). Personally, I find Marines boring compared to Chaos (I do have both armies), as Marines are often 'Point and Click' armies.

Of course none of this is meant to be flaming. I'm sure there are wonderful SM armies out there, but by and large, they tend to feature lots of guns

E-Dog
31-05-2007, 23:37
Listen to the voices in your head.

ChaosTicket
31-05-2007, 23:42
Nah, Really I Love Chaos Compared to Loyalists, but I pay for that. Only a single unit of raptors for 350points when I can get several 250-300 points units of assault marines with melta bombs, veteran sergeant with power fist, and plasma pistols to handle everything.

Havocs not having plasma cannons hurts too. Plasma cannons with tank hunters can cause a tank heavy army to pause.

I Like cult troops. They are upgraded chaos marines with better shooting, tougher, better melee abilities, etc. except for Noise Marines. But No Assult Marines is a Tough to take.

But I think Chaos sacrifices too much for assault marines. Numerous O-1 units don't exactly "float my boat" when I give up a several key speed, melee, and anti tank unit in my army. I Love Assult Marines.

KaoTiK Dawg
01-06-2007, 00:10
Marines! Even if they have the same color scheme as a chaos army like me. (my marines are black, green and gold). Im not an expert on chaos, marines can have a small amount of people with few heavy weapons and still deal a significant amount of damage on force with the various armoured vehicles.

Subtext
01-06-2007, 00:23
Havocs not having plasma cannons hurts too. Plasma cannons with tank hunters can cause a tank heavy army to pause.

Muhaha, your not cerial, are you? :eyebrows:

Plasmacannons are way too expensive, and I would take Tankhunting Autocannons over them every single Time.

And if Loyal or Chaos it doesn't matter, canned food stays canned food no matter what flavour it got on the inside. And my Hive Tyrant is sick of it by now, wipping the floor with MEQ's gets boring after sometime, no matter if I wipe them with Bugs, Guard or tincans with dark secrets inside.

IMO Havocs>Devastors

ChaosTicket
01-06-2007, 06:22
Do you mean serious? Killing full squads of marines and laying waste to fire falcons at 36" is nothing to scoff at. An autocannon might have more range, but when it can't touch heavy-infantry, the win goes to the Plasma cannon.

I wonder why you have never gotten the hidden powerfist effect? I personally load up on numbers, plasma weapons, and anti tank weapons. These days people pile up vehicles, Heavy infantry, and I love love to kill them. Firing repeated krak missles at a hive tyrant and his guards is nice.

Twisted Ferret
01-06-2007, 06:31
What's MEQ? Googled, no help.

Darkseer
01-06-2007, 06:40
Listen to the voices in your head.

Do you hear the voices too? :evilgrin:

Duel_Crisis
01-06-2007, 07:31
What's MEQ? Googled, no help.

Marine Equivilant.

cleansingfury
01-06-2007, 07:42

:angel: maybe:angel:

Take space marines! Then you can call everyone a heretic and then tell them that you will purge them for the cleansing light of the emperor. Or other such cool things that you would have you r ass beat if you said it to anyone other then a 40k player...experience talking. Plus the devs are cool! New all plastic! Venerable dreads are a plus to! You could run 6 in one army! Imagine the rending! then take land speeders with ass cannons! Yum the cheese! Cause you could then make your commander worth almost nothing, and put in a few scouts to cap objectives while everything wipes out your opponent!

willydstyle
01-06-2007, 07:55
I've been playing chaos for 12 or 13 years now. If I wanted to make an army that was strictly to win, I'd go with Space Marines. All the nifty upgrades that chaos marines get cost points, and you end up not having enough dudes on the table at a certain point.

However, I really enjoy the opportunities for off-the-wall conversions and mutations that come with Chaos, and screaming Blood For the Blood God is not only fun, but helps to attract the ladies.

cleansingfury
01-06-2007, 08:18
However, I really enjoy the opportunities for off-the-wall conversions and mutations that come with Chaos, and screaming Blood For the Blood God is not only fun, but helps to attract the ladies.

The holy space marines shall purge this universe of you chaos scum!:angel:

See works great! No one is offeneded and it is fun to act like you are on the good side! Plus our upgrades, while not as good, are cheap. We can make our own chapters to! And chaos is well... chaosy...

nazrag
01-06-2007, 08:56
Do you mean serious? Killing full squads of marines and laying waste to fire falcons at 36" is nothing to scoff at. An autocannon might have more range, but when it can't touch heavy-infantry, the win goes to the Plasma cannon.

I wonder why you have never gotten the hidden powerfist effect? I personally load up on numbers, plasma weapons, and anti tank weapons. These days people pile up vehicles, Heavy infantry, and I love love to kill them. Firing repeated krak missles at a hive tyrant and his guards is nice.

Well if you play against decent opponents, they will space out their models so you can't touch more than one of them. So the point kinda looses its effect, allthough you will kill that guy pretty good. But against tanks autocannos are much better, 2 shots anyone? :evilgrin:

Besides, choose CHAOS! we don't need any more loyalists running around with ass-cannons! :cheese:

John B
01-06-2007, 09:04

SANITY is for the weak!

I love Chaos cause they come in so many flavors. Personal favourites are strawberry and toffee. Vanilla is still vanilla and can never really be strawberry no matter how many types of vanilla you mix in there.

Yelling "BLOOD FOR THE BLOODGOD!" after seing my troops do a texas chainsword massacre is one of the best moments in the game.

cleansingfury
01-06-2007, 09:13
Yelling "BLOOD FOR THE BLOODGOD!" after seing my troops do a texas chainsword massacre is one of the best moments in the game.
What is better is saying:
THE EMPEROR WILL JUDGE YOU IN THE WARP!
after you defeat a chaos player!

Darkhorse
01-06-2007, 09:20
Dis iz my wartrak, nice innit?

What I envy about the Loyalists over the Traitor Legions is the vehicle options, especially the Razorback and ability to do a proper mechanised list, hence I'm planning Sallys, but I'm going to wait till the new codex is published.
Having both Imperial and Chaos due for new books in the next year or so (As well as my Orks) is forcing me to back down on my armybuilds ATM.
Once my IG are at a certain point I'm going for a Fantasy/SG fest.