PDA

View Full Version : Warhammer and wives/girlfreinds

E-Dog
31-05-2007, 23:47
My buddy jokes around about starting a support group "wives of warhammer". I'm always trying to find time to paint and play games, and I've found involving my wife "Hey what do think of this color?" helps a little. So what are some of your tactics?

Bloodknight
31-05-2007, 23:53
I don´t need tactics . My GF doesn´t play and doesn´t want to, but she likes my minis and I get minis as present on most occasions because she knows that I want them most. She´s also quite proficient at giving me stuff I didn´t really know I wanted it until I see it. She certainly knows what I like. But then, she got herself a couple of Dark Elves because she likes them most.

scarletsquig
01-06-2007, 00:26
I don't have a girlfriend... :(

Can I get an "amen"? ;)

Templar Ben
01-06-2007, 01:24
My wife has painted some minis but since her favorites are the ones with boobs hanging out and I play armies that wear clothes (or +3 armor saves) we don't have too many for her to paint.

Batwings
01-06-2007, 01:55
"She´s also quite proficient and giving me stuff I didn´t really know I wanted it until I see it."

Such is the Way of Woman.

ThousandPlateaus
01-06-2007, 03:29
Simple:
Don't have a girlfriend!

:)

Occulto
01-06-2007, 03:39
My GF has no interest whatsoever. She made that fairly clear when we started going out. She knows the basic concepts and all that, but she still finds it about as interesting as a sheet of blank paper. Why waste time trying to "convert" her?

It's not really a problem for us. She doesn't try to stop me from gaming because she knows that some weeks it's the only way I get to catch up with my friends. Full time work and boring domestic stuff tends to eat up a lot of time.

I think it's healthy to have individual hobbies. I'm actually a little weirded out by couples who do everything together.

Codsticker
01-06-2007, 03:52
I don't have a girlfriend... :(

I don't have a girlfriend either :( ...

...but with a wife and two kids I can't afford one anyway. :D

Zzarchov
01-06-2007, 04:21
She does needlework and plays bridge, I paint mini's and play wargames, and ne'er the two shall meet.

Llew
01-06-2007, 04:24
My wife just sort of nods and grins when I say I'm heading to the basement to play with toy soldiers. However, she likes the idea that she knows where all my spare cash goes. ;)

Truth be told, the hobby doesn't bother her, and she likes to see my terrain projects and miniatures (and she's gonna get me the new building set for Father's Day). She even likes to read some of the fiction/adventures I write up for our gaming group. She just has no interest in playing it or trying to understand it.

Aundae
01-06-2007, 04:33
My wife has absolutely no interest in it at all. I do have her trained in one aspect however. “Hey dear, what do you think of this new paint scheme.” Reply, “It’s nice.” The fact that I got a, “It’s nice” is such amazing progress with her, that it is truly incredible.

snurl
01-06-2007, 06:17
Sometimes my wife helps me decide what to paint next.
Unfortunatly, sometimes it turns out to be the garage or the basement.:D

yerpo
01-06-2007, 06:23
My GF doesn't intend to play, but since I showed her this hobby she bought the Goblin part of BfSP from me, a box of Pegasus knights, Clanrats, and DE Witch Elves. I guess being able to paint together is a progress over the rest of the replies here so far :D

spaint2k
01-06-2007, 06:27
I've found involving my wife "Hey what do think of this color?" helps a little.

I am convinced my wife and I see colors completely differently. I've found that asking her her opinion on colors is about as effective as asking me my opinion on which outfit makes her look "fat" (the correct answer of course, being "Neither, I think you've LOST weight." and then quickly leaving the room).

In all fairness, my wife thinks my hobby is interesting. She likes the new dwarfs, and so I had complete carte blanche on buying as many of them as I felt like. She's probably also happy I'm not spending the money on booze and (other) women.

Steve

Ravenous
01-06-2007, 06:40
My girlfriend loves the game, she helps me paint and get my stuff together for tournaments. The best part is she is a decent gamer too, she won the local tourny here.

Besides her most the girls I know find it really interesting.

My friends wife on the other hand makes him pack all of his stuff in the deepest darkest corner of his basement and only lets him play warhammer 2 or 3 times a month!

Depends on the girl really, I think if she wants you to support her on what she likes then she should support you in all your nerdom. If not why bother being with her if she cant accept you for you?

spaint2k
01-06-2007, 06:46
Depends on the girl really, I think if she wants you to support her on what she likes then she should support you in all your nerdom. If not why bother being with her if she cant accept you for you?

Right on, dude. If I was your friend, I'd have already left the woman by now.

Steve

The game is afoot
01-06-2007, 07:11
My wife is happy to base models for me as long as it's something she can do that doesn't interrupt her TV time. Painting is too intense for her but oddly enough putting PVA on a base and flocking it is ok.
Admittedly she does it grudgingly, but she still does it.

Jedi152
01-06-2007, 08:37
My GF has no interest whatsoever. She made that fairly clear when we started going out. She knows the basic concepts and all that, but she still finds it about as interesting as a sheet of blank paper. Why waste time trying to "convert" her?

It's not really a problem for us. She doesn't try to stop me from gaming because she knows that some weeks it's the only way I get to catch up with my friends. Full time work and boring domestic stuff tends to eat up a lot of time.

I think it's healthy to have individual hobbies. I'm actually a little weirded out by couples who do everything together.
Exactly. My situation is identical.

Hellebore
01-06-2007, 08:45
My ex thought they looked 'cute' and would be a little pouty if I painted miniatures or read books when she was around (giving my attention to them instead of her) but she wasn't interested.

My 3 sisters on the other hand all like miniatures. The eldest liked genestealers, the youngest the bloodthirster. When she asked why he looked so angry, she decided it was because he has a chain G-string (that would make ANYONE angry!:p).

Of course, the eldest of my 3 sisters wanted to marry optimus prime and leonardo of the the ninja turtles...

Hellebore

Jedi152
01-06-2007, 08:47
Can i be the first to say it?

You got some odd sisters! :p

Bob5000
01-06-2007, 08:48
My wife likes it , she gets the free choice on the TV while I am in the next room painting .
I spend an afternoon every week in a GW store while she is visiting her parents .
It 'dovetails' very nicely

Jellicoe
01-06-2007, 08:58
mrs J. quite enjoys the painting and is not too bad at it either. Her brettonian knights turned out quite nicely and her bowmen are coming along too.

She feels I should paint up everything I have before getting any more figs but this is largely because as a nurse she has a mania for tidying things up and making them neat

Hellebore
01-06-2007, 08:59
Can i be the first to say it?

You got some odd sisters! :p

Perhaps because they were all younger than me so had to do what I said...

No care bears and strawberry shortcake for them, it was all voltron, astroboy and transformers :cool:

I'd like to think I've done a service for male communication and relationships... well 3 of them anyway...

Hellebore

spaint2k
01-06-2007, 09:39
Well here's hoping they end up with fellas who appreciate them and not some guys who're into care bears and strawberry shortcake.

Steve

lord_blackfang
01-06-2007, 09:47
Of course, the eldest of my 3 sisters wanted to marry optimus prime

Er... who wouldn't?

Art Is Resistance
01-06-2007, 10:13
My wife agreed to move house so that I could have a bigger office (she calls it my playpen) to keep all my stuff in one room rather than all over the house (surely the most expensive GW related purchase evah? ;-)
Over the three and a half years we've been together she has shown a great deal of interest, to the point of playing a couple of games, and trying to paint as well.

The worst part is she's better than me but won't do anymore now than choose paint schemes for me - my new IG army scheme was her idea, I was just going to do the bog standard olive drab, but she went for blue and grey.. which works.

Thing is, wives and girlfriends are the best critics you can get, jut don't try to convert em if they show no interest....

Easy E
01-06-2007, 11:10
We paint together fairly regularly when the young one's asleep.

She also has a small army and plays from time to time.

clovis
01-06-2007, 12:11
my wife is not very interested in my GW stuff hobby! While she is watching her soap(Desperate house wife!or corrie!) i can paint!Recently i started an Ogre army and she loves the look of them. She sometimes say to her mum(for fun) that i love my"army men" more than her. Oh she always know what i want for christmas or birthdays!(GW)

DarthSte
01-06-2007, 12:16
Mine wife has no interest really. She was impressed with my £95 Great Unclean One, but I doubt she would be if she knew it cost £95...

She said she may help me paint sometime, but even when I beg, which I have done, she refuses to have even a small game...

Bloodknight
01-06-2007, 12:34
Sometimes my wife helps me decide what to paint next.
Unfortunatly, sometimes it turns out to be the garage or the basement.

I am so happy I cannot fall into that trap, because fortunately the German language has 4 different words for painting pictures, random stuff like minis, , cars, and houses. It also depends on what you are going to do and which type of paint is used.
Malen: pictures
bemalen: minis, furniture (adding designs)
anstreichen: houses.
lackieren: cars, furniture (the base colour in which the whole piece is covered. Also means varnishing).

As you can see, the words for painting houses and miniatures are so far away from each other that it cannot happen ;)

Hellebore
01-06-2007, 12:36
Er... who wouldn't?

Touché!

Hellebore

Bjorn Stormwolf
01-06-2007, 12:54
My wifey also had no interest... until she opened the GW stuff i'd ordered online and found out how much the Space Wolves Dread cost... whoops.

Now she warns me not to spend too much on the little models, not that i do anyway.

She does like to tease me a little..... due to my 'geeky' hobby. Yes, the word 'geek' crops up a lot.

I have gently nurtured the ability to get some painting hours in. I heartily recommend taking the **** out of her favourite programmes until she doesn't want you in the room when she's watching them. Sorted!

Crube
01-06-2007, 12:54
Mrs Crube supports my painting, and encourages me to get stuff done, but as for actually doing anthing prctical, like picking up a brush, or dice, no way.

In the same way as she can;t get me to thread up the sewing machine ;)

ashc
01-06-2007, 13:33
Mrs Crube supports my painting, and encourages me to get stuff done, but as for actually doing anthing prctical, like picking up a brush, or dice, no way.

In the same way as she can;t get me to thread up the sewing machine ;)

Sounds exactly the same for me then Crube :)

Ash

Pious Hearts
01-06-2007, 14:02
Don't let her know how expensive the models are. I made that mistake once when I thought a Forgeworld model was about to get dropped- 'Dont drop that it cost 90 quid....' ooops!

Dwarf Supreme
01-06-2007, 15:53
All of you who have a wife/girlfriend who supports or participates in your hobbies, count your blessings. My wife probably hates my hobbies and barely tolerates that I'm a gamer. She doesn't mind so much my spending time painting. She has even said that it's too bad that I spend so much time painting when hardly anybody sees the fruits of my labor, since my painting station is tucked away in a corner of my basement. I told her I'd be more than happy to display my minis in our house where everyone could see them. She politely declined my offer. :p

Morris
01-06-2007, 16:28
I am yet to meet a female who is even remotely interested in the game to be honest.

vampires are cool!
01-06-2007, 16:38
My Girlfriend thinks its... cute. Its not really what you expect, when you've just been ranting about the extreem awsomness of a character to suddenly be interupted by, "awwwwwwwwwwwwwww, your so cute when you get all exited about toys."

'sot cute... its cool.

jahorin
01-06-2007, 16:57
My girlfriend doesn't have any problem with me playing with toy soldiers. And she doesn't have any interested in playing it, even when I play at my place she does something else.

She like to see my painted models (when I get some done) She also give me support and also tells me when it's been a long time that I haven't paint anything when I started building new minis. Or things like that don't you have enough minis already? :)

Chaos and Evil
01-06-2007, 17:04
My girlfriend has no idea how much an army of Elysian Drop Troops costs, and I intend to keep it that way for a while yet. :)

dean
01-06-2007, 17:35
Mrs dean is building a herdstone cause she found a sketch that looks like the dead pirate corpses at the front of PotC, CotBP. She is getting into terrain cause it is close to flower arrangment and painting but she isnt interested in minis... which is okay, I am finally getting some terrain. :p

cgriffin81
01-06-2007, 19:29
my wife has painted with me befor but she isn't that interested she dose tell if i need to touch up my mins

gorgon
01-06-2007, 20:32

That pretty much describes my relationship with my wife. She has zero interest in my hobby, but she's fine with my participation. The way she looks at it, it beats me hanging out in strip clubs or something.

Frankly, I don't want someone who's into all my hobbies too. It's a hobby, not a lifestyle. We have interests in common, and others that are separate. I think that's healthy.

theunwantedbeing
01-06-2007, 21:20
Dont have a girlfriend as such.....so far she hasnt really met my warhammer stuff,although one day I might try to get her to paint something,depending on the results I'll seee what happens from there.

Greblord
02-06-2007, 01:58
My wife bought me a 2 year subscription to WD for Christmas, but she won't buy me any more little men, because I have too many :)
She comments on my painting, but that's as far as her involvement goes...

spikedog
02-06-2007, 02:42
My wife has in the past feigned interest in the hobby. Going as far as painting a Daemonette and it was very good. However she really has no interest at all in it. She doesn't however prevent me in anyway from doing what ever I like to do with it, including playing on the weekends, painting at the table and displaying models around the house.

To be honest I couldn't be with a woman who tried to control me so, I would never dream of doing it to her after all.

I do however get called an "Otaku" quite frequently but such is the life having a Japanese wife.

Wadders
02-06-2007, 09:40
My missus is only interested in the amount of cash i spend....

however, every weekend i tell her there is tournament/raffle/painting comp.... and every week i win a boxset!

hahaha....

white lies.... never hurt anyone. (although this week i actually did)

She is happy as long as i am, without spending too much cash

The Ape
02-06-2007, 10:41
Mine has no real opinion on it & just lets me get on with it-which is good especially as I started working at GW shortly after we started going out...

The only thing she doesn't like doing is going in to GW stores as she thinks they stink of unwashed teenagers - although she didn't mind wandering around Warhammer World when she was waiting for me to finish work.

Ross
02-06-2007, 10:43
My wife has painted some minis but since her favorites are the ones with boobs hanging out and I play armies that wear clothes (or +3 armor saves) we don't have too many for her to paint.

He he mine too, although she can't paint worth a pinch of 5****te!! She did alright on her orks (40K) her first army. Did crap on her SOB's (back from the previous rulebook) so she made me finish them (in liche purple and Warlock purple no less), and I convinced her we should get into WFB (I fought it off for 13 years before giving in) and she comissioned me (not in cash :) )to do her Wood Elves.

We play when we can but have 2 toddlers so gets a bit hectic, she even asked me if I wanted a game today. She's cool with it all so I have no problems :) yay for me

wikear
03-06-2007, 00:49
Well... my girlfriend gives me a quiet approval :D for now... she knows that I spent more than 150 pounds creating my army and getting all the bits and pieces this month, and the only thing she sais is: "You mum warned me you can't save up", so I always say to her: "Why should I save up if there are so many nice minis to buy" hehe

She's coming to me to UK by the end of the month, so I will have the chance how she will be getting along me painting the minis or going to the store to play.
I'll report on that later ;-)

Nineswords
03-06-2007, 09:50
'Tenswords' (my girlfriend) thinks it's cute. She was interested in it but I apparently put her off it - she wanted to paint women with 'big boobs' and androids and I just looked confused. I am a bad nerd.

vindice
03-06-2007, 10:26
After reading through this thread and reading some of the comments to The Keeper of the Royal Purse (i.e. Mrs V), she gave me a quote to share with you all.

My minis, she says, "Fall under the heading of things you love someone in spite of."

Touching.

azazel_fallenangel
04-06-2007, 14:40
My girlfriend was actually into the hobby before we met, but only the modelling and painting, not the gaming itself. Somehow, I still get frequently called a nerd on a regular basis.

Crippler
04-06-2007, 15:06
Arghh finally a thread I can releate too!!!

I started a similar thread and it got canned, please see my introduction thread

I am 30, male, married with children and an IT contractor (Senior Test Analyst).

I enjoyed playing WH, WH40K, WWII airfix, various other games in my teens, but lost interest when I was 17.

Being a bit older and most of my wild days over, I have come back to the hobby, mainly because of the PC games. Dawn of War series and Mark of Choas.

I now have several WH40K Armies Ultramarines, Black Templars, Space Wolves, Grey Knights, Eldar, Cadians, Tanith First and Only, Mordian Guard, Jungle Fighters, Death Korps of Krieg, Dark Eldar and a Dwarf army, which also include a vast range of the Forgewolrd Models.

I paint more than I play, but that is mostly due to the ridcule and comments from my wife "Warhammer Geek", being the most used one!!!!! And lack of friends that admit they play the table top games. Am I alone, I would really love to know of anybody else in this situation!!!!!

I guess working in IT and knowing a lot about computers also adds to the geek status. Society places to many burdens on those that choose a different path!!!!![/url]

http://www.warseer.com/forums/showthread.php?t=84085

KITS AND BITS
04-06-2007, 15:09
my future wife , loves my models and is heavily involved with our Model business , she does paint the odd things , infact shes currently doing a sterling job of dry brushing some cities of death buildings !
i have had some problems in the past with warhammer wives , my ex hated the models , but infact i think that it was not the models and games i think it was more to do with hating me enjoying myself , because she also hated me watching movies i liked , tv shows , sports , pornography ,beer ,time alone,computer games etc ..... still shes dead now

Finn Sourscowl
04-06-2007, 18:12
She feels I should paint up everything I have before getting any more figs

Yep. Mine's the same! :)

My wife actually started playing a bit and has quite a large Bretonian army, some of which she actually painted (well, I might add!). But she's stopped now and I can't see her playing any more with the little'un around. She's perfectly fine with me playing, however :D

Swifty
04-06-2007, 20:17
I tired to get my girlfriend involved but after I left the room to make dinner she decided all my empire free company would like gold trousers because they didn't want to be poor anymore! :D Then I tried to get her to explain it and she just said they could sell their nice gold trousers for lots of money and move to a quiet place where no one has to fight anymore. :rolleyes:

She also doesn't understand why when I tried to teach her how to play 40k I got pissed off because all she wanted to do was to make my marines make friends with my chaos marines! She kept saying a 10,000 year war was silly all they need to do was to say sorry and that would end the fighting!

Why do girls never understand war and have an answer for absolutely everything?

starlight
04-06-2007, 20:44
Beef Stroganoff.:D

Any time my boss needed an answer for a question to which there was no answer (usually asked by a female), that was his.:D He reasoned that since it didn't *really* matter what the answer was, he could make something up.:D

aberrant_unc
04-06-2007, 21:48
I used to date a lot, but I have cut back on that since I got married in august. ;) My wife gets annoyed sometimes by the time I spend without her either playing or painting (she is one of those every-waking-minute-together types) but I think she is starting to realize that it is nice to have seperate hobbies and time apart. I need to try that "its not a mistress" line on her. She has expressed some interest in painting, but hasn't got around to doing it yet.

Vogon
04-06-2007, 22:35
I’m very lucky in that my own Missus thinks it’s an interesting hobby, sees it as a good way of spending some quality time with the lil’un and actively encourages me to both paint and game. She wasn’t so interested to actually take part until I dragged her along to Gamesday where she sat at the paint and take for 3 hours painting an Ork

She will now sit and paint with me. She does get a little frustrated that she’s not that good yet but I’m sure with gentle encouragement she will get an awful lot better very quickly.

Cheers

Vogon

dave40k
04-06-2007, 22:50
Ahh I'm so envious! My girlfriend has some interest in it, but she knows so little. She wants to build a board and terrain with me, as well as paint some of my models. Problem is, she wants to paint everything crazy colors which isn't quite my thing. Other problem is she's too poor to buy her own. I haven't gotten around to letting her paint any yet, and I haven't gotten around to showing ehr how to play yet. I'm a terrible boyfriend, I know!

MarcoPollo
05-06-2007, 06:01
My wife is fine with it. She thinks my pieces look good and is willing to have me put them in cabinets on display in our living room.

The only issue is if I neglect my responsibilities. Understanding our priorities helps.

She doesn't really have any desire to understand the game or the hobby. But I don't really have a desire to learn how to quilt or garden.

UltimateNagash
05-06-2007, 10:04
My 3 sisters on the other hand all like miniatures. The eldest liked genestealers, the youngest the bloodthirster. When she asked why he looked so angry, she decided it was because he has a chain G-string (that would make ANYONE angry!:p).

Of course, the eldest of my 3 sisters wanted to marry optimus prime and leonardo of the the ninja turtles...

Hellebore
Could ya introduce me :D

(In other words, no I'm not in a relationship [at all :(] and never have been :cries:, so don't expect any help from me. Sorry)