PDA

View Full Version : Large Target Breakdown?

UvulaBob
10-08-2005, 21:09
Is there a centralized location where I can see the benfits/drawbacks of being a large target?

Mad Doc Grotsnik
10-08-2005, 21:26
Okay, from memory (I use them a lot!)......

+1 to hit.
Everyone one in the unit may shoot it (not just front rank, so beware of Gnoblars declaring stand and fire)

They can see over intervening units, friend or foe. And, if a flier, charge over them!

TeddyC
10-08-2005, 23:23
I dont think large targets get the unlimited LOS do they? i also didnt think all ranks could stand and shoot?

However as a large target they can be targeted separately for purposes of shooting and magic.

Eg. Slann in a unit of temple guard can be targeted separately to temple guard for shooting.

and as stated..... +1 to hit

They (as everything above 25mm) has flanks and a rear for purposes or being charged.

They are the drawbacks i see when you are using one!

positives? large targets NORMALLY cause terror and have high T and lots a W

Crazy Harborc
10-08-2005, 23:58
Large targets can see over troops on 40mm bases or lower/smaller bases. They don't see over forests or hills, so no "unlimited line of sight".

They do stand above smaller friendly troops. I always try to give opponents much closer targets to worry about and feel a "need" to shoot at instead of my dragon waaaaayyy over there/wherever.

Festus
11-08-2005, 07:25
Hi

I dont think large targets get the unlimited LOS do they? i also didnt think all ranks could stand and shoot?
LTs are larger than everything else (a few terrain items excluded) and thus can see and be seen by everybody within the relevant Arcs of sight (90 for a large one itself) and equally shot at by every single archer in the unit, as the front rankers do not block LoS to a LT, as would be the case with regular units.

Greetings
Festus

Neknoh
11-08-2005, 09:45
The benefits of being a Large Target are the following:

Giants: O&G, Chaos and OK, they can see past intervening terrain most of the time, and thus charge over it due to their rules (but don't forget the last words of Stompy... "Me walk on water")

Shaggoths: They can't charge past terrain or units, however, when upgraded to Shaggoth Champion of Tzeentch... they becomes nasty, casting spells over intervening terrain and units.

Dragons, Manticores, Hyppogryphs, Griffons and their riders: Can charge, Shoot and cast spells over intervening terrain, very handy, especially on units "guarding" their flank with a big wood, or for instance, lone characters straying arround "safely" near that big stone.

Hydra (it is a Large Target... right?): can use its breath attacks over intervening terrain.

Greater Daemons: Can charge and/or cast spells over intervening units and terrain

Bone Giant: If using the trial rules for different equipment... a Bolt Thrower always hitting on an unmodified score that can shoot over woodland and units... sign me up for one... NOW!

Hellcannon: Able to spew Ichor over woods to get to the pesky sneaking unit. I do not remember if it can shoot using its own LoS, if so, it is even more vicius, shooting past units at incomming enemies.

Festus
11-08-2005, 11:14
Hi

Shaggoths: They can't charge past terrain or units, however, when upgraded to Shaggoth Champion of Tzeentch... they becomes nasty, casting spells over intervening terrain and units.

Why should they not be able to charge past terrain and units?

BTW: Terrain is debatable, as some terrain indeed blocks LoS to large targets.
You should check on the terrain rules again, I think.

Greetings
Festus

TeddyC
11-08-2005, 11:21
I think in general forests block ALL los... except hills... because the trees are meant to be waaaay higher than they actually are on the board.

I think touney rules tend to state that forests block LOS.

Neknoh
11-08-2005, 12:48
Shaggoths can not charge over intervening terrain or units should have been my statement.

As for terrain blocking LoS, it is specifikally stated in the BrB that people should agree on which pieces of terrain that blocks LoS to Large Targets

Mad Doc Grotsnik
11-08-2005, 15:06
Terrain and Large Targets.

I once actually read the section of the rulebook regarding this. But do you think I can find it again? Can I hell as like!

From what I remember, you need to sort out with your opponent what can and can't be seen over. As much fun as it is breathing your fire over an unsuspecting unit, it's a bit unfair. After all, if Warhammer was real, you'd certainly notce the Hydra on the other side of the woods!

And Big Fliers are best. Lots of interesting possibilities with that!

Neknoh
11-08-2005, 16:09
Excep that it is a VERY hard thing to screen your Khorne Lord on Dragon or your Bloodthirster from charging something you do not want them to charge... I guess it's just to break out those Giants and Shaggoths and place one on each side of said character

Crazy Harborc
12-08-2005, 01:03
Speaking from experience.......it's a VERY good idea to discuss terrain before every battle. When we don't......THAT'S when a problem pops up. A hill being "flat" on top or not can create big problems when you want to shoot a cannon over the head of shooters in front of it on the same hilltop.