PDA

View Full Version : conversions & tournament legality

Paluke
01-06-2007, 06:59
Hi all,

Perhaps a very silly and obvious question, but i'd like to ask:

Is it tournament legal if you have a dwarf army led by a master engineer that is resembled as an orc (a GW orc ofcourse!) with wysiwyg equipment?

I know it's stupid and would be rubbing totally against all fluff, but still,

So please don't hate me :rolleyes:

Art Is Resistance
01-06-2007, 07:01
Not sure - is it just that you wanted a larger figure to represent your ME? if so, and it's well converted (ie, doesn't look like an orc any more), I can't see there being much of a problem - if it is just an orc, well then you may have a problem,...

Paluke
01-06-2007, 07:04
well i would make it so that it would totally not look like a regular orc (whoever seen an orc holding a handgun, please do tell ^^)

adding a sigar, spectacles, handgun, perhaps a hat. so it would really differ itself from a regular orc.

perhaps i should bring a regular engineer as well when going to tourneys ^^

Vattendroppe
01-06-2007, 07:09
Bring a regular engineer to tourneys also, that way you will definatly avoid trouble anyway.

Gorbad Ironclaw
01-06-2007, 07:32
Can't see it being much of a problem really. People might think it's very strange, and I imagine some won't like it, but I can't see there being much problem with using him to game with.

Sherlocko
01-06-2007, 07:39
I think it would look pretty cool. Are you gonna paint him with dwarfish flesh as a big dwarf or is he an orc who just happens to lead a bunch of dwarfs? :)

Evil-Lite
01-06-2007, 08:17
Remember to put that Orc on a 20mm base :)

Tutore
02-06-2007, 14:14
I don't know. I converted an arrer boy to a black orc big boss (!), I still don't know if it would be 100% legal in tournament, because his armour is evidently a light armour and not the heavy armour the big boss ought to have.

Paluke
02-06-2007, 16:20
Thanks for all the replies :)

It would most certainly raise a few eyebrows ^^

20mm base is a good idea, i just love converting :) is there a specific site or document that states the "basic" tournament rules which i could look up? so i know how far i can go with converting without the need of having double models ;)?

@ tutore would love to see that arrer boy conversion! got a link?
@ Sherlocko yeah it would just be a renegade orc that leads a band of dishonored dwarfs ;)

Gorbad Ironclaw
02-06-2007, 16:51
There are really no 'basic' tournament rules. It will vary depending on what tournament you are talking about and what country it is.

Tutore
03-06-2007, 12:22
Thanks for all the replies :)

It would most certainly raise a few eyebrows ^^

20mm base is a good idea, i just love converting :) is there a specific site or document that states the "basic" tournament rules which i could look up? so i know how far i can go with converting without the need of having double models ;)?

@ tutore would love to see that arrer boy conversion! got a link?
@ Sherlocko yeah it would just be a renegade orc that leads a band of dishonored dwarfs ;)

I'll upload the pic asap!
Edit: you'll see it here: http://www.flickr.com/photos/82635803@N00/527676461/

T10
03-06-2007, 13:00
There are really no 'basic' tournament rules. It will vary depending on what tournament you are talking about and what country it is.

Indeed. As a rule of thumb, you should avoid confusing your opponents with weird stuff: If it takes time to explain that your "orc" is in fact a conversion and not a proxy figure, that's how much less time you get to play the actual game.

-T10

Deacon Bane
03-06-2007, 13:00
What about a home made chariot, made from balsa wood?

Gorbad Ironclaw
03-06-2007, 14:06
Should be perfectly fine. A chariot should be quite obvious as what it is, and only OnG gets different ones, and even these should be fairly easy to distinguish from each other.

Generally, look at the model in question and ask yourself if you could work out/guess what it is without having an explanation. Especially if you have multiple weird conversions where it might not be apparent what is what, or that are hard to distinguish from each other.

Paluke
03-06-2007, 14:20
Cool orc :D nice converting there Tutore!

thanks Ironclaw, that should be about it then :)

Griefbringer
03-06-2007, 15:40
Should be perfectly fine. A chariot should be quite obvious as what it is, and only OnG gets different ones, and even these should be fairly easy to distinguish from each other.

Actually, also Chaos can theoretically have two different sorts of chariots (by mixing mortals and beasts), though these should also be usually quite easy to tell apart (unless you have very hairy chaos warriors and very well armoured bestigors).

Edit: as for tournament rules, organisers of every tournament have the right to set whatever rules they want. If the organisers of Flowery Carnage Tournament 2007 decide that all players need to wear light pink skirts and have some flowers in their hair, and that only high and wood elf army lists are allowed, then they have the full rights to do so (as nobody is forced to attend).

Tutore
03-06-2007, 21:17
Cool orc :D nice converting there Tutore!

thanks Ironclaw, that should be about it then :)

Thanks :) The pic was taken with a smart cam, so it is blurry.

Gorbad Ironclaw
03-06-2007, 21:29
Ah yes, of course. I knew there were something about Chaos I was forgetting, but I couldn't remember what at the time.