PDA

View Full Version : When to use Troll Vomit?

Voltaire
01-06-2007, 16:15
A simple enough question - is the Troll Vomit attack ever worth using, and if it is, when do you use it?

vampires are cool!
01-06-2007, 16:25
High WS and armour opponants - Chaos Knights are a must as your trolls wont always be able to hit them. Its quite nice on Charcters too - anything high elf is good. Not an OnG player so dont really have any authority on this.

theunwantedbeing
01-06-2007, 17:07
Knights
Anything you hit on a 6+
When you flank things like knights

blurred
01-06-2007, 17:16
Depends how many trolls you have in the unit in question. With 12 trolls its always better to vomit; 12 S5 armour-ignoring attacks hurt. ;) With my usual setup of 4 trolls its better to vomit against knights and other heavy-armoured units. Its quite easy to calculate whether to vomit or attack regularly.

T10
01-06-2007, 22:24
Depends how many trolls you have in the unit in question. With 12 trolls its always better to vomit; 12 S5 armour-ignoring attacks hurt. ;)

Note that only the Trolls in base contact get to fight and only the Trolls that get to fight get to take a vomit attack in stead of their normal attacks.

Regardless of wether you take a vomit attack or regular attacks, you are going to wound rank-and-file troops on 2+ or 3+, or whatever. It's the same so it's not really a factor. Ward saves too are not a deciding factor. What's important is the chance to hit (vomit attacks hit automatically) and the target's chance to save (vomit attacks allow no armour saves.

You should always take your (we assume three) regular attacks unless vomit attacks are better, or you just need to rely on luck to score more than the "safe" number of casualties.

Take vomit attacks...

If you hit on 6+, regardless of the target's armour save.

If you hit on 5+ and your target has enough armour to still get any sort of armour saving throw after modifiers.

If you hit on 4+ and your target has enough armour to still get an armour saving throw of 5+ or better after modifiers.

If you hit on 3+ and your target has enough armour to still get an armour saving throw of 4+ or better after modifiers.

Again, this assumes that you just want a couple of reliable casualties to swing the combat in your favour. If you see the need to *really* deal damage you should always take the regular attacks since that's potentially three times as many wounds caused, limited purely by luck!

-T10

sulla
01-06-2007, 22:35
Knights
Anything you hit on a 6+
When you flank things like knights

That's the only time I have ever had occasion to do it...

T10
02-06-2007, 08:14
Anyways: It all depends on the situation.

If your outnumber the enemy and you only need to score a single wound to win the combat, taking a vomit attack is your safest option. If you need to cause a lot of wounds (e.g. you are fighting Undead or Swarms) you need to roll your regular attacks and hope for the best.

Don't always use the vomit attack just because it is there. Regular attacks will most of the time be the best option.

-T10

fubukii
02-06-2007, 13:10
VOmit is great vs high WS and or high armor targets as mentioned before, Vs knights with a 2+ or even a 1+ i would go with the vomit over the regular attacks for sure. its also great to vomit on heroes.

blurred
02-06-2007, 13:28
Note that only the Trolls in base contact get to fight and only the Trolls that get to fight get to take a vomit attack in stead of their normal attacks.

Debatable. From OnG page 32: "A unit of trolls can make Vomit attacks instead of ordinary attacks during close combat. Each troll can make only 1 Vomit attack at Strength 5, although these always hit and the corrosive, semi-liquid nature of Troll vomit allows no armour saves."

I would never play like that of course, but that's why I included the wink-smiley at the end of my previous post. :)

Franco
02-06-2007, 19:33
It comes in handy to vomit against a character. Because i play against guys that like to equip their characters with alot of things, and i play victory points, if i can take 2 wounds off his general, then i get half of his value!!!

Atrahasis
03-06-2007, 00:42
Debatable.Only if you don't actually read the rule.

From OnG page 32: "A unit of trolls can make Vomit attacks instead of
ordinary attacks during close combat.

Vomit attacks instead of ordinary attacks

instead

dodohead
03-06-2007, 09:58
Against heroes level characters, especially if they have high WS or Armour save. I you get two trolls in contact with a heroe thats two hits, 2's or 3's to wound, no save. This always works for me.

Avian
03-06-2007, 15:01
Statistically, assuming you hit on a 4+, vomiting gives the same number of wounds as normal attacks against stuff with 3+ armour saves and more wounds against stuff with better armour.

feeder
03-06-2007, 22:14
Hurling on Ironbreakers is one of the most fun things an O&G player can do. Can you imagine a more ignoble way for an elite Dwarf to go?

Braad
04-06-2007, 11:45
My three stone trolls once killed three Dark elf Cold One Knights (unit of 5, AS of 2+...) with the vomit attack in one turn.

blurred
04-06-2007, 17:12
Atrahasis, I just love how you like to rub things to people's faces with your arrogant, childish way. It makes such a nice and friendly atmosphere to these forums. :rolleyes:

I still think it is debatable, but since the original post was already a joke of a kind I think I'll just throw in the towel.

Soul of Iron
05-06-2007, 19:59
Atrahasis, I just love how you like to rub things to people's faces with your arrogant, childish way. It makes such a nice and friendly atmosphere to these forums. :rolleyes:

I still think it is debatable, but since the original post was already a joke of a kind I think I'll just throw in the towel.

He's not being childish. The simple fact is you were wrong. There is only one way to read that rule and you chose to ignore the most important word in it. He just highlighted your error.

warlord hack'a
23-06-2007, 08:18
yes he highlighted the error in the minimum number of words needed, so I will use a bit more words ;-). If you read the rule it says: ' instead of normal attacks', since you only have normal attacks for models in btb with an enemy model you can only have the trolls in btb vomit, simple as that, no hidden loopholes.