PDA

View Full Version : What do you use classic minis for?

xibo
01-06-2007, 23:55
... and so my disgustingly bad painted metall cadians found themselfes in the brake fluid... and while I started repainting them, I wondered what they would become in my army? Veterans? Squad Seargents? Normal Troopers ( mixed with new ranges or pure )? Remnants? Command Squads? *conscreepts*?
What do you use your old minis for?

god octo
02-06-2007, 00:03
I bought some older minis off of ebay for my WH Inquisitor's retinue. Because they are older, they are less used, so my retinue is more unique, which Me like!

CommisarMolotov
02-06-2007, 00:37
I use 'em freely in my armies...

In fact, most of my stuff is so old, that I worry about shoe-horning NEW models in and having them look odd!

Strikerkc
02-06-2007, 00:42
well, if you've actualy got enough of them, I'd go with conscripts. If you've only got a squad or two, use them as vets, armored fists, or light infantry squads.

Olith
02-06-2007, 00:51
I use my old metal marines mixed in with the newer plastic marines to give varying height/size in the unit.

kesofcom
02-06-2007, 00:55
I think I saw some old tactical marines on ebay yesterday, but I have seen a gallery where a person bought a tactical squad years ago and didn't paint it untill recently, inorder to do them justice. So I guesse collect them as trophies.

Krog Ironclaw
02-06-2007, 01:37
I dont use old models normally. I generally buy them and dont paint them. I have two Tyranid Hunter Slayers and RT-era Inquisitor that I kinda think of as trophies.

I do however have an OLD Commisar Yarrick that I will use as the commander of my Lost and the Damned army.

CommisarMolotov
02-06-2007, 01:55
I dont use old models normally. I generally buy them and dont paint them. I have two Tyranid Hunter Slayers and RT-era Inquisitor that I kinda think of as trophies.

I do however have an OLD Commisar Yarrick that I will use as the commander of my Lost and the Damned army.

I love that old Yarrick model!

http://www.jdwiker.com/minis/finished/yarrick.jpg

xibo
02-06-2007, 02:06
I have both Yarricks, and whenever I field Yarrick as Yarrick ( instead of a generic powerfist/(storm)bolter commissar ) I have both models in game, to my opponents annoyal :D

onnotangu
02-06-2007, 03:36
I have 42 old second edition stealers and I use them all in my vanguard swarm list.

Arkzein
02-06-2007, 03:47

In fact, most of my stuff is so old, that I worry about shoe-horning NEW models in and having them look odd!

I'm in line with this, in many cases I even prefer the older models. (old metal Chaos Marines, Bikers, Noise Marines from 2nd Ed and Raptors from 3rd being prime examples). Generally I'll mix and match though to give that little bit more individual and chaotic feel. (After all there are only a few plastic marine bodies now, add in old noise marines bodies and the heap of old metal marines and there's a ton of variety)

Sometimes however a mini can just get too outdated. (The oold Chaos Dread, Terminators and Bloodthirster anyone? *laughs*) With these I used to keep them for nostalgia's sake or toss them into the bits box. But with the advent of ebay I got shot of the lot.

starlight
02-06-2007, 03:55
As anyone gaming as long as I have, I have a mix.

I like using variety to separate out different units, but I don't have a hard and fast rule about old or new. It all comes down to whatever strikes my fancy that day.

One thing I *do* prefer is the newer vehicles. I don't have any older vehicles (rhinos and such). Orks are an entirely different matter.:p

Bloodknight
02-06-2007, 03:58
My IG and Deathguard are both "classic" armies.
I like Mordians (see my sig...) and Plaguemarines, but I do not like the current PMs, so I decided to buy the old metal models. They´re just more bloated and wear spiked helmets on MK3 power armour - what´s not to love?

The new terminators will have to be freaking good if they want to replace mine. I like the current models very much. The dread could use some work, however.

studderigdave
02-06-2007, 04:04
36 old skool genestealers make uo my troop choices for my nids.

Montford981
02-06-2007, 04:14
It looks a bit odd but I mix my old Terminators with my new ones.

Surgency
02-06-2007, 06:09
I use classic stormtroopers as my inquisitorial storm troopers. Placed alongside my Inquisitors retinue of new storm troopers, they look really good, and make the unit look very different from any other IG troops I may have on the board...

Plus I love the old stormtroopers gas masks :)

Toppan
02-06-2007, 07:22
i dont use classics in 40k, orks are not too friendly with classic models...they look so different.

my friends use classics, however, because theyre old (the players), and because they look unique.

Latro_
02-06-2007, 10:10
I use the old cadians as conscripts, since they're a bit shorter and less armoured. Plus i have 78 of them.

Old model wise, alot are worth buying and using instead of their newer versions, like the old old plauge bearers. Even the Old plauge bearers are better.

http://i34.photobucket.com/albums/d120/latro/guard2.jpg

Cleutin
02-06-2007, 10:42

Haha it's so true!

I do have a mix now I guess, I like Veteran Maines to be the old style ones where possible, but I really like the Marine plastics too. On the Necron side I prefer the old models to the new counter-parts, in fact the other day a mate stood on one of my Warriors and if it had been a spindly plastic one it would of been totalled but my wee metal Warrior shrugged of the titans foot stomp! :D

The newer plastic vehicles are cool too (except for the predator - worst sponson design EVER) some of my favourite has to be the Sisters vehicles.

Err anyway offtopic a bit there yea I reckon Veteran Guard for the metal guys personally I don't think conscripts should weigh more than regular guard (but i'm strange like that :p )

Inquisitor_Pink
02-06-2007, 11:01
I use the old eldar rangers as rangers and the new ones as pathfinders. Just because it's easier to readily identify the difference than having thirty new models half of which are pathfinders and half of which rangers. Bar that they become parts for conversions.

boogle
02-06-2007, 11:47
I've used mine for pure profit

squiggoth
02-06-2007, 12:25
i dont use classics in 40k, orks are not too friendly with classic models...they look so different.

That's the pity about Ork models ..... of the pre-3rd edition models, those sculpted by Kev Adams look mostly atrocious (everything apart from the Squigletz makes me nauseous), and the ones sculpted by Alan Perry look great but are in a completely different style from the current ones.

I've got all editions of 40K mixed together in my Death Guard, altough my rogue trader era Nurgle renegades have been given modern backpacks and weapons to help them "blend in". Their orginal bolters looked like sausages (and their Giger backpacks look great on my modern Plaguemarines). :D

Mkstein
02-06-2007, 13:46
The manager at my local store (Harrogate if anyones interested) has an army of tanith, which he converted old Cadian models into. They are so awesome, especially Shoogy - hee hee:D !

lord_blackfang
02-06-2007, 14:02
Old plastic CSMs + green stuff = presentable Plague Marines

cuda1179
02-06-2007, 14:25
Well, I have 120 old-school necron warriors, so I just use them in the army as regular troopers as the only "new" things I have are flayed ones, Pariahs, wriaths, and tomb spiders.

Starscream1138
02-06-2007, 14:31
I remember when a distressing amount of what people call classic models now, were brand spanking new! :)

I have real problems making my Space Marines fit in with the current plastics.

Keadaen
02-06-2007, 16:50
I turned a old school marine into a statue, turned out pretty nice.

-Mika

Ronin_eX
02-06-2007, 16:57
I just mix them in with my normal stuff, I have too many old DW terminators not to.

Sir_Turalyon
02-06-2007, 17:05
Guard: Depending on style and quantity I have I use them eighter in their own platoons (cadians), as conscripts (catchans, valhallans), remnant squads or squads in remnants platoon (platoon consisting of RT-era, mordian and Tallaran squads).

Orks: I don't use models made for 3d edition or later.

Marines: I round models from different editions into different squads.

Groksnag
02-06-2007, 18:21
Orks: I have a RT era Dreadnought I use frequently in games, 1 RT era Nob with slugga, PK, and one wicked mohawk, 31 2nd editon Goffs, 2 2nd edition Grots, 17 metal shoota boys maybe RT era, and 1 metal shoota boy with bigshoota RT era.

i use the shootas as kommandos and the goffs as skarboys. the grots act as grot riggers upgrade (by sticking them in the wartrukk/trakk/buggy/whatever)

MrBigMr
02-06-2007, 19:33
I don't have many old models nor metal models at that. Don't realy like them.
I have an IG Griffon, which I'm using for other purposes (half price, so it ended up costing less than a chimera), but the metal parts are safe for later use. Then I have a Space Wolf Standard Bearer blister and I'm just bought a Lord Solar Macharius blister, as it was also half off.
The SW will go on the command tank of my Space Wolf armored company and the Lord Solar might end up as the commander of my Terran IG Regiment, if I ever end up doing it.

Karnage
02-06-2007, 20:49
I've got a squad of plastic beret Stormtroopers with a metal Sergeant model that I'm trying to find a use for in my current army. If I'd had bought the heavy weapon and special weapon troops that were released for them the decision could have been made a lot easier, but being stuck with nothing but the hotshot lasguns/hellguns/whatever moulded on them, when I already have a unit of new Kasrkin models to use in that position has left me in a bit of a dilemma :D

cleansingfury
02-06-2007, 20:54
Dioramas baby!

Karnage
02-06-2007, 20:56
Got some old school plastic Khorne Berzerkers I can use for those :P

QuixotesGhost
02-06-2007, 21:34
I use an eclectic mix of classic, mordheim, Fantasy, and necromunda models to represent Zealots in my Witchhunters force.

Smokedog
02-06-2007, 22:11
I am currently painting up a classic eldar army. I like the new models, but I already have the old ones half painted. On the plus side, they are more compact and so dont take up so much space in the cases. The other point is the warspiders don´t look dwarfed (has anyone noticed how there is no painting guide for warpspiders - maybe they are comming out in apocolapse...)

that said I want to swap my old warwalkers and wraithlords, not just becasue of style, but becasue of wieght!

TeddyC
02-06-2007, 22:13

amen to that. I hate it when they change sculpting styles!

I mean how the hell are you meant to fit the new new dwarfs with next to no character or class along side the old metals with their little chubby cheeks... awwww...

either way...yes to that man

catdubh
02-06-2007, 22:28
Use old cadians as vets, works well and fits my armies fluff.

Moriarty
02-06-2007, 22:47
Classic minis are what I game with. Approx 3k pts of (mainly metal) RT Marines, including period support from a Rhino and five Land Speeders, make up my Battle Company. Includes two Jump Packs Assault squads, two Devastator squads, four Tactical squads and one Scout squad, Veteran squad and Command squad, plus HQ options and a Tech marine.

My problem is no contemporary figures for Gun Servitors. Having to make them out of Catachan figures. Heigh Ho.

VetSgtNamaan
02-06-2007, 22:54
I use older models almost exclusively I tend to prefer them over the new stuff. of course anything forge world is just amazing :)

JMMelo
03-06-2007, 01:57
My eldar are mostly 3rd ed, with some newer stuff (wraithlords and rangers)... I have 3000pts+ of painted DA thats mostly late 2nd ed. metals and vehicles, and 2000pts+ of metal deathwing.. no way I am replacing that!

Angelwing
03-06-2007, 02:51
my armies are chock full of old minis. I try to find a use for everything.

chivalrous
03-06-2007, 02:52
70% of the miniatures I'll be using for my Imperial guard army will be classic Mordian miniatures and old Storm troopers, simply because I don't like the new cadians.
That said, I will be using a mixture of the clasic and new Cadians to represent my conscripts.
The idea being that the conscripts need a little bit more protection from death due to ignorance, naivety and carelessness, and really as a psychlogical boost.
That said, as conscripts can't take carapace, I can't reflect this rule on the tabletop.

Souleater
04-06-2007, 21:58
I still use my 2nd Ed fexes, suitable converted.

They still look cool and make great Elite slot Fexes. My HS fexes are alll T7 - represented by them being bigger.

Oh, and my Sisters of Battle army is 90% old minis!

kelvingreen
04-06-2007, 23:17
My Genie Cult is, as should be no surprise, around 99% made up of old models. The newest figure in the army is the Magus, who's being played by a Necromunda Redemptionist. I can't wysiwyg him though, so he'll have to be replaced.

Kulgur
04-06-2007, 23:18
I...welll...use them. One of my old Necromunda redemptionists sees service as a WH priest now for example

don_mondo
05-06-2007, 01:35
My entire IG army is composed of RT era IG, including eggs-on-legs sentinels. Need a couple more old IG bikers to finish my Rough Riders, and I still haven't figured out what I can use the old IG landspeeders for.

Dribble Joy
05-06-2007, 01:49
2nd Ed. mega-armoured nobs as 'ard boys for my BM army.

http://i81.photobucket.com/albums/j223/Muffdemon/ardboys3.jpg

Though they look more like they have a 3+ save....

Gaius_Baltar
05-06-2007, 01:49
I'd use them as normal infantry.. but that's just the way I play Guard.

They would make quite good mini's for veterans or something special.

nightgant98c
05-06-2007, 02:30
Aside from some characters, I'm not too fond of classic mini's, so for me they would be just for show.

aberrant_unc
05-06-2007, 04:36
I've got a bunch of old rogue trader era "chaos renegades" like the nurgling-on-shoulder plague marine model, the "headless" tzeentch mutant, the fungus body/plasma pistol tzeentch mutant, etc.

I'm looking forward to the new chaos codex since it sounds like I can have tzeentch marked marines that aren't rubrics again. :D

chromedog
05-06-2007, 05:26
I've got around 8000pts of eldar (all 3rd ed or earlier, most dating back to late RT, early 2nd ed) and around the same of Marines.

My marine stuff: The RT dreads (chuck and eddy) are used as dreads (new t-l weapon arms). My Rt speeders are land speeders (basic) - I use the new ones to represent the tornadoes/tempests/etc. Marines are marines. They have dioffering armour mks scattered through the company. RT rhinos are still rhinos. The mk2 rhino hull is reserved for tanks. My predators all use the metal sponsons off the older preds.

Eldar stuff: Guardians are still guardians. Guardians with pistols & ccw are stormies. Warwalkers and wraithlords are as is. Most of my jetbikes are metal RT era (when only the harlies got shuricannons) - I have 25 of them - they are fielded as guardian bikers.

LirEdinSun
05-06-2007, 10:29
I sometimes use old classic models that I buy off Ebay that are too badley damaged or have bits missing, I melt them down and recast other essential parts for custom jobs and conversions (guns, arms, bodies etc.), technically its still GW as its their white metal/pewter and their designs.

I also keep all my offcuts for the same purpose.

If they are still good I'll keep them and use them, I have a squad of Striking Scorpions, I painted the new ones in aqueous colors, and the classics in firey colors, as it suits my army fluff perfectly, 'Fire' and 'Water' working together creates the deadly cleansing power of stream. My army fluff believes heavily in 'Elemental Magic', fire and water being prime elements.

kelvingreen
05-06-2007, 11:17
I sometimes use old classic models that I buy off Ebay that are too badley damaged or have bits missing, I melt them down and recast other essential parts for custom jobs and conversions (guns, arms, bodies etc.), technically its still GW as its their white metal/pewter and their designs.
Ha! Brilliant!

"That's not one of our models."

"I beg to differ. It was melted down from one of yours, so technically..."

Ah, philosophy at the gaming table! ;)

LirEdinSun
05-06-2007, 16:27
Ha! Brilliant!

"That's not one of our models."

"I beg to differ. It was melted down from one of yours, so technically..."

Ah, philosophy at the gaming table! ;)

And the only way to prove otherwise is at a sub-molecular level using a spectrum analyser.

I use them to get 24 models out of a 16 model box set, lots spare arms, weapons, faces, accessories.

All I'm short of is a body.........

And I can usually get two new bodies out of 1 melted down classic.

kelvingreen
05-06-2007, 21:24
And the only way to prove otherwise is at a sub-molecular level using a spectrum analyser.
I hear they're installing one at the next GT, for just this eventuality. ;)

BlakLanner
06-06-2007, 07:25
My army is mostly comprised of 2nd ed models. I just feel they look better (aside from the new Banshees and War Walkers). The old Avengers just look better and feel better made. Gotta admit that the new walkers are bad ass though.

cleansingfury
06-06-2007, 07:28
Wow am I the only person that likes blowing up my classics for? Note they are useually torn up pretty badly befor hand.

I once launched a 5 man tac squad at the moon using a mortar, I got them to salvage bitz, they were already trashed.

CarbonCopy
07-06-2007, 08:27
Old Marines: Strip, mix & match with green-stuff modifications & detailing, paint and combine into similar style newer(ish) models for new squads. Anything that does not fit gets ebayed.

Old Eldar: Copy and paste above for Guardians. Also, use newer(ish) Guardians as the basis for conversions into aspect warriors using parts of VERY OLD metal aspect warriors.

Anything left over from the above gets added to bases as body parts half sunk into the muck. Very fun.

cleansingfury
07-06-2007, 08:35
Also I destroy old models, models that are beyond repair, such as a tank that got dropped and stepped on... ya lossley glued to gether and then I renact a scene of my space marine devs shooting it with rockets (fire crackers) or ordanance barrages multiple fircrackers...

Sauron90
07-06-2007, 10:32
My space marines army mixes old models with new. Tanks can look a little strange (old Rhino and new in the same battle). But mostly it just looks cool.

In my Wood elf army I mix New models with old favorites. Old Wardancers, old Waywatchers. Replaced my old Dryads with the new Godlike Dryads old Glade Riders. (spend to much money on them to not use them). And old Treemans as Treekin as well as old eagles. And mixes them with New Glade Guard new Dryads new character models. Wild Riders (who was made up for the 6/7th edtion list and new Treeman.

EVIL INC
07-06-2007, 11:12
I have a load of the old rogue trader renegades. As they are different from your current chaos marines and have mutations, I use them as possessed.