PDA

View Full Version : Which detachments?

Red_Lep
02-06-2007, 01:13
What set-up do you think is best? Why?

That Guy
02-06-2007, 02:45
Ummm, interesting choices. The in general, the best is free company: the only thing you care about in your detachment is taking away your opponant's rank bonus. Free company do it the cheapest. Take 12 of 'em.

Missle units are tricky as detachments. If you move the unit you never get the most out of them, but in that case at least archers are better than handgunners.

Of your two options, well, Swordsmen I guess 'cause they're less likely to die. But seriously, give Free company a try.

Vattendroppe
02-06-2007, 06:32
The helberdiers if I only got these two options.

Why? They have some hitting-power that swordmen lack, plus it looks cooler with a little variety amongst the units.

Wadders
02-06-2007, 07:23
I choice Swords as they are more likely to stick around with the 4+ save. Thus keeping the ranks negated.

But to be honest, i would drop the archers and get either crossbows or handguns

jullevi
02-06-2007, 07:58
You should also consider increasing the size of the parent unit to 25 models.

scarletsquig
02-06-2007, 08:51
Hmm, pretty much anything *other* than archers would be my choice - I've used swordsmen, free company and halberdiers as support for big units of a different type.

I've often taken detachments of handgunners, just to give me some small, felxible missile units. 10 models in a line firing starts to get very unweildy. Plus, the small handgunner units tend to get charged no matter what happens, so it helps if only 5 die instead of 10 per charge. I'll do the old "march, wheel, get charged, flee, flank charge with different unit next turn trick with them sometimes... even if the opponent doesn't charge them, they're a real pain to have to maneouvre around

Sasha
02-06-2007, 09:23
i would say halberdiers. as a detachment, they get to attack first on the counter charge and so bit of extra punch is worth while and they don't need such survival power as your opponent would need to kill 6 to stop you negating ranks so not very likely.

Zapherion
02-06-2007, 09:26
what r u intending to use the unit for? attack or defense?. also, do u know what armys u will be facing cos this can make a big difference.
On the attack is take the halberdiers but thats just cos the other choice is pants
On the defense both could die so quickly u hardly get any attacks, so id take spearman, handgunners and halberdiers

deadkez
02-06-2007, 12:50
Detachments are worth SCR of 5 (1 flank, 1 for outnumber, 3 for taking away enemy's rank bonus). Actually killing anything with them is a bonus. It is more important that you keep them at above 4 models for this 5 SCR to exist. Following this logic, it is more important to keep them alive than it is to arm them to kill anything. Swordsmen detachments are the way to go in my opinion.

I also field mine in a 3x3 formation (courtesy of the Warhammer-Empire website); minimising attacks back to yourself also helps give the detachment some longevity.

Red_Lep
02-06-2007, 14:28
what r u intending to use the unit for? attack or defense?. also, do u know what armys u will be facing cos this can make a big difference.
On the attack is take the halberdiers but thats just cos the other choice is pants
On the defense both could die so quickly u hardly get any attacks, so id take spearman, handgunners and halberdiers

1. Attacking
2. Wood Elf Fast cav., Khorne Cav., Dark Elf City Garrison, this http://www.mousillon.com/ and possibly the other two links, Ogres, Tzeentch with Dragon, O&G, then we get to the people who aren't great at this....

Also, I forgot about Free Company when posting this, sorry :rolleyes:

vinush
02-06-2007, 16:33
The swordsmen will get, on average, more hits than the halberdiers, and their initiative means they should go first against most other "standard" units, which can be a deal breaker. They have a 4+ save in combat, so are survivable enough to be a parent unit.

The halberdier detachment has that extra hitting power for thos tougher opponents, as S4 and the -1 armour save it will give is good for a flanking charge where they won't take such a beating. Remember they will only have a 6+ save in combat.

\/ince.

brambleten
02-06-2007, 16:46
i would say use crossbowmen and halberdiers. that way you can sit back and have 30" of shooting, and then some strength 4 hits after

Falkman
02-06-2007, 16:52
I'd say Free company and either Handgunners or Crossbowmen, many attacks when countercharging, and some nice shooting before that.

Red_Lep
02-06-2007, 18:26
I'd like to take crossbows and handguns but I was planning on moving so they're out.

Atrahasis
03-06-2007, 00:47
Halberdiers are almost always the worst choice of detachment - the only time they outperform free company is against enemies with T5+ or 2+ or better armour saves, in which case you're better off trying to prevent wounds and win through static res than cause them, making free company just as good and swordsmen a better choice.

Tha said, I have 80+ of them and they regularly see battle.

Red_Lep
03-06-2007, 00:56
After thinkin' about it I went for archers and free company, thanks for the help.