PDA

View Full Version : Dark Elf, mounted force, 2000, character help needed.

heldane
02-06-2007, 13:38
Hey all.

Well being as the nemesis crown campaign is here I'm finally finding the enthusiasm to paint and sort my Dark Elf force.

I'm running it as a Watch Tower Patrol Force, and have worked out the units I want in my 2000 point force, but I have no idea on characters, or how to arm them.

The only character that I'm sure on is a noble on cold one to lead a unit of cold ones. As for armaments, again, no idea past heavy armour, dragon cloak, shield and lance.

So far the force consists of

Noble - 112 pts.
Cold One, Sea Dragon Cloak, Heavy Armour, Shield, Lance

6 Dark Riders - 115pts
Musician

6 Dark Riders - 115pts
Musician

6 Dark Riders - 115pts
Musician

6 Dark Riders - 115pts
Musician

9 Cold One Knights - 306pts
Full Command

10 Cold One Knights - 335pts
Full Command

Chariot - 97 Pts
Spears

Chariot - 97 Pts
Spears

Chariot - 97 Pts
Spears

Chariot - 97 Pts
Spears

That puts the total to 1601 points.

What characters would you add to round the force out to 2000 points?

Cheers

Dan

brambleten
02-06-2007, 15:13
you lack magic... i dont play dark elves, so i dont know if you can take a mounted mage. another idea might be to include a war hydra

A neutral shade of black.
02-06-2007, 18:52
All your cavalry should be taken in units of five. They're way too much of a points cost to be played any other way, unless you want to take risks, and then you don't do it with two huge CoK units. Field your dark riders in units of five with musician and crossbows since you have no ranged weapons (also consider taking one or more extra DR units since you have no bait other than them), and field your knights in blocks of five with full command - you realise you have over half your list tied in Stupid units, right?

All your characters are almost always better off on steeds rather than cold ones, even if joining a unit of knights. Being able to detach and move 9" rather than 7" and without fearing Stupidity is useful. Other than that, your noble is missing the mandatory Seal.

If you want high magic, you're going to need to cut down on your list points: you want a level 4 with Darkstar Cloak plus a couple of scrolls or the Heartstone of Darkness and a scroll (Lore of Shadows), a level 2 with Tome of Furion and a scroll (Dark Magic or Death) and a level 2 with the Wand of the Kharaidon (whichever lore the other level 2 didn't take). This in addition to your noble, of course.

If you want a balanced list, add one more noble with lance, shield, heavy armour and cloak. Add a level 2 with Darkstar Cloak and scroll and either a level 1 with two scrolls or a level 2 with Tome of Furion and scroll. Two to three scrolls plus the extra DD from the Seal will give you good enough defence, since you should be in their face fairly fast. Consider changing one of your DR units to lose the musician and take a standard instead, stick the Seal noble in there and use it to break anything that needs your attention with a flank charge (but beware enemy fire).

If you want low magic, one more noble with the standard equipment plus a highborn with DoDP and HSoD on manticore (or black dragon if you feel you can take the risk) and a level 1 scroll caddie. Again, consider the DR trick listed above.

Whatever you do, you're going to have to break at least one of those knight units in two - I'd advise you to drop it for points to spend on your heroes. If you don't want to drop it, you should do okay with two nobles and a caddie, or still okay but slightly less well with one noble, a level 2 (Cloak + scroll) and a caddie; as long as you include the Seal, of course.

FYI, I run two nobles and two level 2s (Seal, Wand, Cloak + scroll and Tome + scroll, respectively).

Lord Tzeentch
02-06-2007, 22:10
I think this list is great u can never have to many chariot:) i think a lord on a dragon with venom sword(think thats what its called the one where they have to take a T test on 2 D6 or die) he'll be able to kill mean heros as if they where zombies(well not that easy but you no what i mean:))

brambleten
03-06-2007, 13:00
one hint with the chariots, keep them away from the likes of kroxigor, or other nasty strength 7 things