PDA

View Full Version : Bldurs Gate 2 and Neverwinter nights [closed: threadomancy]

TenTailedCat
11-08-2005, 02:58
I've seen these two games in my local store for ages and I'm intruiged. I've read a bit about them online and it seems they both rock, but I'd like some more opinions, so if anyone's played them would you care to share your experience?

Son of Morkai
11-08-2005, 03:08
BG 2 is one of the best games ever made. Buy it. And BG 1 if you find it. They have lots or replay value - npc's have completely different reactions depending on your character's race, class, sex, reputation, and so on. I've lost track of the number of times I've played through, and I still haven't seen everything. At this point, it should cost, what, 20 US? Well worth the price.

I can't speak on Neverwinter, though.

Bubble Ghost
11-08-2005, 03:51
Neverwinter Nights is OK, not spectacular, as an out-of-the-box one player game. Where it really shines is its edit mode, and the online community that ran with it. It's fun messing around with the editor, and when you eventually get bored of writing comedy dialogue and realise that you suck and can't code characters to do anything other than stand there, there are bajillions of modules and add ons that other people have made to play around with - many of them of extremely high quality. It's almost endless.

Of the two, though, get BG2. Its quality is timeless, and its replay value almost unmatched. It's one of those games you have to have played just to say you've played it.

TenTailedCat
11-08-2005, 03:55
Can you recommend any other games set in the Forgotten Realms setting? I've heard of Icewind Dale, that's similar isn't it?

I've never managed to persuade my fellow 40K players to get into D&D so this is my only outlet for it *boohoo*

Son of Morkai
11-08-2005, 07:34
Icewind Dale is very similar to BG - though you form your own party instead of recruiting NPCs. I've never played any of them, but I believe that you can use Baldur's Gate characters in Icewind Dale, or it could be Neverwinter Nights, I can't really remember.

lord_fenric
11-08-2005, 08:48
Baldurs gate 2 is one of my all time favourite games, which (if you can't guess) I would recomend to anyone. As mentioned it has hugh replay value, an awesome amount of depth and a genuinaly absorbing plot. The only slight niggle with the game was it pushes the infinity engine a little beyond what it was designed to do so the game can stutter in places.

The icewinddale series are Ok. IMO they lack a lot of the depth and enjoyment of the baldur gate games because rather then playinga single character and recruiting npc's you basically build your party and off you go, meaning there are no charqacter plots or interactions to enjoy. Also they are really very linear, unlike BG where you could quite happily forget the actual game plot for days if you wanted outside of a few side quests IWD is very linear.

What you really want to fin is a copy of Planescape torment, which for depth of plot is the best RPG black isle did.

hairyman
11-08-2005, 09:11
BG is quite simply one of the greatest PC games ever made. I'd put it in my top 5, easily. It's deep, totally absorbing, and there's a fair bit of tactical nous needed for some of the fights.

Icewind dale is like a poor copy, and a bit of a hack 'n slash fest, but it's ok.

Neverwinter Nights is rubbish... like a glorified version of Dungeon Siege. No depth at all.

Reinnon
11-08-2005, 09:35
BG2 is great.

NWN isn't as good but its still fun, i just felt that the single player was....incomplete.

icewind dale was great fun when you get past the tedious first few quests (past vale of shadows)....i really enjoyed it (it also has my fav weapon in it, her lady's reaver - very cool if your lucky enough to get it)

torment is imo, the most rewarding of the set, all the characters are great (with the exception of annah) and the storyline is top-notch. However it doesn't play like the others, you NEED high wisdom/charisma/Int to fully enjoy the game (i discovered that my first time through when i went for dex/str/con instead and didn't really enjoy the game)

Bubble Ghost
11-08-2005, 14:19
Whereas BG2 is story-driven, Icewind Dale and its sequel are action-driven. They're not going to challenge BG2 for story, but they aren't trying to; you might as well criticise Doom for having little plot. Essentially, they're very linear and light on plot, but mercilessly, palm-sweatingly challenging and hectic. I love the Icewind Dale games, they're great fun - if you're trying to make a hack and slash game, Icewind Dale is how to do it right.

hairyman
11-08-2005, 14:25
if you're trying to make a hack and slash game, Icewind Dale is how to do it right.

I totally agree... however, I found it getting a bit tired after the nth screen full of monsters that needing killing. Still a very good game, though.

Combat in BG was a lot more tactical, especially with the various levels of magical protection and piercing spells.

x-esiv-4c
11-08-2005, 14:28
One title:

"Planescape - Torment" best RPG ever, no storylines compare.

Thoume
11-08-2005, 16:13
I have both NWN and Baldur's Gate II, although I haven't played them in a while, mainly because in BG II I've only ever gone past the dungeon you start in! :eek:

As for NWN, I almost made a really good module on that but lost it when I had to flatten my computer. I can see where people are getting at story-wise, and to be fair the graphics are not that great, yet it was still good fun, even though with that I only got as far as... chapter 2 was it? Or was it one...

With the expansion packs to both, I haven't tried the campaign to BG II, as I was hoping to save that for when I completed the first one (not so likely now... lol!). I've got both packs for NWN and never got very far with those either...

Overall I'd say they were both good! Other RPGs I've tried were Diablo II (to the dismay of those who like proper RPs and not H&S!), Morrowind ('now thats more like it!' I hear you say! Probably not the best graphically, but a great storyline until the end, which at that point your like 'Eh?'), KOTOR II (Again, awsome storyline and voice acting until the end...) and Guild Wars (Brilliant, despite the voice acting!)

Bubble Ghost
12-08-2005, 01:37
Torment is very good, but to be honest it struck me as a bit like what I'd now call "emo". Labyrinthine plot, but somehow all a bit immature. That's not to say Torment isn't great, because it is; I love it to bits, and even without my personal bias, it's an objective masterpiece and more than deserving of recognition as an all-time-classic. However, I think Baldur's Gate 2 JUST beats it, by virtue of not seeming like it was programmed by a 6th-form English Literature student.

TenTailedCat
12-08-2005, 01:43
I bought NVN and will be getting BG2 from town at the weekend. But i'll be damned if I can get Neverwinter to work *fume*

Cypher
12-08-2005, 02:19
Pretty much what everyone else said:

Baldur's Gate (as a series) is superb.

So is Planescape Torment. Between these titles (if you've never played them before) you can pretty much destroy your life for a good while.

Icewind Dale was fun, but lacked the level of depth that the other two had. Not a bad game at all, just not as good.

Neverwinter Nights was, in hindsight, a title that was far too ambitious for its time. Still a lot of fun, but the "what if" factor is huge. In this case wait for the sequel that will be out in a couple of years because Im guessing it will be the game NWN could have been. Unless you can get the game (and the essential expansions) dirt cheap, in which case go for it.

And just to add a title to the mix: Arcanum. A Steampunk RPG, it's one of the better ones, and is absolutely huge.

TenTailedCat
19-08-2005, 12:49
I finally got my grubby mitts on baldurs Gate 2 but I'm having trouble installing it. How did you guys install under XP?

I followed BioWares FAQ and asked this in the tech support forum but, to be frank, they suck.
Basically I've copied all the discs into a folder on my HD which gets around a bug asking for a 5th disc which doesnt exist, now my problem is the installer asking for disc 1 when it's at 95% installation, when you prompt it to the files or give it the disc it doesn't recognise them.
I know there was a fix for this under win98 by editing your autoexe.bat and config.sys files but I use a DVDrom drive rather than CDROM and I'm on windows XP so I don;t have either of those files >.<

Help!

The pestilent 1
20-08-2005, 22:04
I have both NWN and Baldur's Gate II, although I haven't played them in a while, mainly because in BG II I've only ever gone past the dungeon you start in! :eek:

Pwned :p
most people do that so-many times, they can do it in their sleep...

unfortunetly, BG2 is plagued by bugs, several of them game-ending, many are solvable though :)
unfortunetly, the one i encountered in throne of Bhaal isnt.
stupid bhaal-spawn dragon, not dying properly :mad:
oh well, been meaning to start over (and not becoming a fallen inquisitor this time...)

deathcrow13
21-08-2005, 01:55
In BG2, there are so many sidequests to do that if you skip them all, the game can be finished in about 10-20 hours. However, with all the subquests opened to you, you can easily go up to 100 hours of gameplay, not counting the replay value. The world is so huge to explore, the fights can be won in so many ways and there are so many combinations of party members to take along that you can create any character and still find a suitable party that'll fit in. one of the best games I've ever played.

TenTailedCat
21-08-2005, 04:56
I'll never find out, I gave up on the heap of **** after two days of trying (and failing) to fix the installation issues. I expected better of a company with a reputation like BioWare's.

useless
23-08-2005, 11:48
balders gate 2 is an exllent game! speciallly with all those mage spellls...

lord_fenric
23-08-2005, 11:56
balders gate 2 is an exllent game! speciallly with all those mage spellls...

Which is the main difference between BG 1 & 2. In the first mages were only useful towards the end of the game, and even then in a mostly limited capacity.

In BG2 the levels your wizards can reach just make them awesome party members capable of dealing with pretty much anything unaided. Factor Tob and the Lv 10 spells ou can get it jus becomes a little silly as to how hard they can get.

Yorkiebar
23-08-2005, 12:02
Baldur's gate, Baldur's gate 2 and their various expansions are amazing. Icewind Dale is nice, but way too combat-based. I much prefer exploring cities and dialogue options in this type of game to wandering around caves killing monsters.

If you want a different setting, Fallout and Fallout 2 are two of the best games I have ever played. They're similar to the games above but turn-based and set in a post-nuclear age.

Nathaniel
23-08-2005, 12:04
I've played both BG 2 and neverwinter, BG 2 has far better subplots and quests that are great fun. You also get a lot of interaction between your character and the party.
One example would be if you're male you can end up in relationships with 2 of your female party members, not at the same time mind you.

Neverwinter let you move around the camera and create modules, the storyline requires a lot of walking from point a to point b with nothing but goblins annoying you along the way. With BG 2 I'd be doing the main quest and get side tracked with all the cool side quests.

Arnizipal
23-08-2005, 12:04
I'll never find out, I gave up on the heap of **** after two days of trying (and failing) to fix the installation issues. I expected better of a company with a reputation like BioWare's.
I installed it under Xp without any problems. What errors are you getting?

samael
23-08-2005, 12:06
Baldurs gate is simply the best game I've ever played.

I just started all over again and, this time as a wizard, and It's still so much fun to play.

Why does it seem impossible these days to make a rpg of that quality? :(

Bubble Ghost
23-08-2005, 13:53
One example would be if you're male you can end up in relationships with 2 of your female party members, not at the same time mind you.

There are three that can do that (Viconia, Jaheira and Aerie), and female characters get hit on by Anomen too. Anomen's really annoying though.

The pestilent 1
23-08-2005, 14:50
i loved it when Viconia started hitting on Serevok in throne of bhaal.
his response was somthing like "i have been to the darkest depths of hell, faced the void no less than three times, battled the most terryfying of beasts without faltering. but you viconia... you scare me" :D

obscenename
23-08-2005, 20:40
Morrowind if you want the deepest rpg ever made.

IkuTurso
24-08-2005, 14:00
i jsut played trough BG 2 i didnt like it too much

IkuTurso
24-08-2005, 14:02
yes, morrowind is an exellent game but oblivion is coming soon.

Yodhrin
24-08-2005, 15:01
One title:

"Planescape - Torment" best RPG ever, no storylines compare.

*coff*Fallout 1&2*coff*

Goq Gar
11-02-2009, 00:35
*coff*Fallout 1&2*coff*

So, so, SO true.

I began installing neverwinter nights 2 a whole 2 hours ago, and it's still updating. At this point, im tempted to just say "forget it" and install the baldurs gate series instead.

Lostanddamned
11-02-2009, 00:52
Goq! I'm surprised at you... a 3 year, 5 month, 19 day Threadomancy. One of the oldest avaliable - you should be ashamed good sir!