PDA

View Full Version : Tournament Necromancer army

Arnizipal
02-06-2007, 16:45
There's a local tournament next month which I will be attending. I had mixed results with my Vampire Counts list from last year (won with massacre, lost with massacre and a draw) so this time I'm trying something different.

My previous list featured a Blood Dragon thrall and a scroll caddy. It was very close combat oriented.
This time I went with more magic and annoying units. :D

1500 Pts - Vampire Counts Roster

Necromancer (1#, 145 Pts)
General; Level 2 Upgrade; Hand Weapon; Undead
Cloak of Mist and Shadows @ [45] Pts

Necromancer (1#, 150 Pts)
Level 2 Upgrade; Hand Weapon; Undead
Dispel Scroll @ [25] Pts
Book of Arkhan @ [25] Pts

Wraith (1#, 135 Pts)
Great Weapon; Causes Terror; Ethereal; Undead
Obsidian Amulet @ [45] Pts

Ghouls (8#, 64 Pts)
Causes Fear; Poisoned Attacks; Skirmishers

Skeletons (23#, 255 Pts)
Full Command; Hand Weapon; Light Armor; Shield; Undead
My general and the wraith will both join this unit.
In case of emergency the wraith can issue and take up challenges while the necrmancer, being ethereal, cannot be hurt by enemy troopers.

Grave Guard (19#, 277 Pts)
Full Command; Hand Weapon; Heavy Armor; Shield; Undead
My other necromancer will join this unit.

Black Knights (5#, 187 Pts)
Hell Knight; Standard Bearer; Hand Weapon; Lance; Heavy Armor; Shield; Undead
Screaming Banner @ [40] Pts

Spirit Host (3#, 195 Pts)
Ethereal; Swarm; Undead

Banshee (1#, 90 Pts)
Ethereal; Undead

Total Roster Cost: 1498

The general idea is to tie up the bing nasty enemy unit with the spirit host so it can be flank charged by the knights/grave guard.

Note that the black knights have no barding, allowing them to charge 16". Could be nasty little surprise combined with the screaming banner.

So tell me what you think.

Skyldig
02-06-2007, 19:10
War of attrition eh?

Can definitely work, I would like to face the list, its hard, yet not impossible. The etheral characters can be a real pain to those of us who only slap on a flail/gw on our characters.

Nice looking.

brambleten
02-06-2007, 21:07
i hate playing necromancers. they keep summoning zombies behind me, meaning my salamander has to shoot them rather than grave guard, which he should be shooting. good list

fubukii
02-06-2007, 21:31
drop the wraith add a 3rd necromancer. and i dont suggest puttin necros in units that can not be restored via summon as they are to vunerable

Arnizipal
02-06-2007, 22:49
drop the wraith add a 3rd necromancer. and i dont suggest puttin necros in units that can not be restored via summon as they are to vunerable
There's nowhere else to hide unless I duke out the point for another unit of skellies/zombies.

Besides, I need at least one (semi-)fighty character right? Those skeletons can't fight their way out of a wet paper bag.

fubukii
02-06-2007, 23:44
a wraith wont win many fights for you, if your looking for fighting take a thrall of some sort. But you will be surprised how you can win combats with skels, use the 3rd necro to summon units in the rear of units or flanks to negate ranks and before you know it you starting fights at +7 cr while they start at +1.

Arnizipal
03-06-2007, 00:08
a wraith wont win many fights for you, if your looking for fighting take a thrall of some sort.
He doesn't have to win per se (although that would be a nice bonus), he just has to soak up damage being ethereal and ward-saving.

spikedog
04-06-2007, 14:10
Nice list, very similar to the one I run myself.

I find Spirit hosts will either do really well (Hold up a chariot or giant until they kill it) or they will just crumble when in combat with a ranked unit. I may would be tempted to drop 1 host and the banshee and get another unit of Skeletons/Zombies for your necromancer to hide in.

As for the wraith. Don't use it, it sucks. If you want a killy non vampire character try the suicide wight combo.

Wight, Heavy Armour, Barded Knightmare, Shield, Sword of Kings, Gem of Blood.

Just challenge with him and go for the enemy characters. If he hits he has a 1/3 chance of killing blow and if the enemy hit him they need 3 wounds to kill him and even then they will almost certainly take one back. Also he has a 2+ armour save so is quite hard to kill anyway. Plus he is dirt cheap!

Arnizipal
04-06-2007, 14:28
Wight, Heavy Armour, Barded Knightmare, Shield, Sword of Kings, Gem of Blood.

Just challenge with him and go for the enemy characters. If he hits he has a 1/3 chance of killing blow and if the enemy hit him they need 3 wounds to kill him and even then they will almost certainly take one back. Also he has a 2+ armour save so is quite hard to kill anyway. Plus he is dirt cheap!
Hmm, interesting idea. But will it rank up nice in an infantry unit?

spikedog
05-06-2007, 08:54
Physically, no not at all as he is on a 25mm Cavalry base where as all other Vampire stuff is 20mm.

However the rules allow for him in infantry no matter the base size.

I plan to make a special movement tray which is a little wider in the front 2 ranks to accomodate a cavarly base for my army.

Frankly
05-06-2007, 10:11
Necromancer (1#, 145 Pts)
General; Level 2 Upgrade; Hand Weapon; Undead
Cloak of Mist and Shadows @ [45] Pts

Necromancer (1#, 150 Pts)
Level 2 Upgrade; Hand Weapon; Undead
Dispel Scroll @ [25] Pts
Book of Arkhan @ [25] Pts

Grave Guard (19#, 277 Pts)
Full Command; Hand Weapon; Heavy Armor; Shield; Undead
My other necromancer will join this unit.

Black Knights (5#, 187 Pts)
Hell Knight; Standard Bearer; Hand Weapon; Lance; Heavy Armor; Shield; Undead
Screaming Banner @ [40] Pts

Spirit Host (3#, 195 Pts)
Ethereal; Swarm; Undead

This is the linch pin of your armylist and I think you've got it mixed up.

The necro list should overwhelm the opponent in your magic phase, I think your magic phase is a little average, any good magic defense is going to cut the heart out of it. Any average magic defense will be able the stagnate it enough to have a chance against the rest of your list.

Think about putting another nerco in the list to make it more aggressive in the magic phase, give him staff of damnation. Basically your looking to get another nefek and vanse in the list more than actually raw power your going for tactical uses in your magic phase. C.o.Shadows is a real god buy for your general.

B.knights and G.Guard ARE your heavy hitters and backed up with the book and the staff you should be looking for lots of smack down in the combat and magic phases.

If you add BotBorrows to the knight unit, then you have a great combat unit for flanking and getting wounding.

I'd add another Knight unit with the war banner so the army so its more aggressive and can threaten in combat as well as the magic phase, I don't think the spirit host is needed over a more hitty special slots unit, you already have enough tarpits in the list.

Arnizipal
05-06-2007, 14:46
A buddy of mine who will also compete in the tournament is fielding a Tomb King army with 2 units of 4 Ushabti. I need that spirit host in case I come up against him (or any other army that has montrous infantry like Trolls, Kroxigors or Minotaurs).

Even if I drop the Wraith I'll never get enough free points to add another unit of cavalry. This is only a 1500 points list after all.

rinto_tinto
05-06-2007, 21:44
If I may go off the point of the thread yet remaining on the point of the theme of the thread, me and my friend swapped army books and models for a week once and I had a Necrarch/Necromancer army but I did not like how it played at all, it was dull because zombies fighting is not fun and I won but didn't have any fun why'll playing.

Looks like a solid list and for a tournament I guess if you just want to win it should serve it's purpose but it will be about as fun as the word "clock".