PDA

View Full Version : Gaeilge - Dia dhuit!

Aun'aart'al
11-08-2005, 02:26
Dia dhuit, Séamus is ainm dom :)

"Tír gan teanga, tír gan anam" :)

Conas atá tú? Cá as duit? Is as Éire dom :D

Slán agus beannacht leat :)

Aun'aart'al
17-08-2005, 03:52
dia dhuit? :(

Arnizipal
21-08-2005, 16:41
Just out of interest, what language is that?

Kohhna
21-08-2005, 17:23
dia dhuit? :(
Dia is muire duit. (sp?)

Is Maith loim bannie.

Thats as far as it goes for me. Nil thiggum me na Gealige.

Aun'aart'al
21-08-2005, 19:15
Dia is muire duit. (sp?)

Is Maith loim bannie.

Thats as far as it goes for me. Nil thiggum me na Gealige.

haha Tá cúpla focal agam :) (the spelling was right though ;))

sláinte :chrome:

Arnizipal
21-08-2005, 21:26
*stabs in dark*

Esperanto?

Kohhna
21-08-2005, 21:44
No you're way off. Think north western Europe.

Piku
21-08-2005, 23:11
Cade mille failte.

Thats all I know. From a theme bar with all kinds of old crap in the window.

Thud
22-08-2005, 17:51
Oglaigh na hÉireann.

And thus endeth my Irish vocabulary... ;)

Arnizipal
23-08-2005, 11:50
How about Gaelic?

Aun'aart'al
23-08-2005, 19:19
Gaeilge means "Irish language," or Gaelic. There are, however, 2 forms of Gaelic; Irish gaelic and Scottish gaelic :)

takenoko
08-09-2005, 09:34
Dia dhuit...

That's about as far as my vocabulary stretches :( I tried to study a wee bit of Irish a year ago, but it kindda drowned in all my other languages. I do know an entire dialogue though, between Seamus and Nóra... And a few words I've picked up from listening to extreme amounts of Irish folk music.

Sorry, I know I'm pathetic. I'm just so darn enthralled by the beauty of your (and all other Celt's) language... Poetry in Gaelic, beats all, it does...

Aun'aart'al
09-09-2005, 20:11
well thank you very much :) and you dont need to apologize, it can be a tough language to learn for some or even most :)

Adlan
09-09-2005, 21:01
I have picked up an ectreamly limited amount of gealic in county mayo (my grandfathers cousin married a local and now lives there. The woman has many relatives and It makes me practically blood brothers with several lads. I love having irish kin)

So I say to you all
Oíche mhaith

(If i got the spelling right, it is one difficult language)

takenoko
10-09-2005, 18:24
well thank you very much :) and you dont need to apologize, it can be a tough language to learn for some or even most :)

Well, I've never believed in "easier" and "harder" languages, so that's no excuse. Irish has a very easy and comfortable pronounciation, for example, which makes it a lot easier to speak than that dreadful mess that is Icelandic (latest project ;) ). Vocabulary's not that hard either, but the grammar is (from what little I've seen so far) a rather tough one.

However, I recently got invited by a couple of Irish friends of my parents o come and stay with them for as long as I should wish, so as soon as my present u i studies are over, I will go there and learn. One must always follow one's heart ^^

And we all went of to Dublin in the green, in the green...

Adlan
11-09-2005, 08:30
They don't speak gealic in dublin. At least not as an every day thing.
Go to the west of ireland, there you can hear people who ONLY speak gealic (is seandaoine iad).

Scanno
20-09-2005, 10:42
O a dheabhail, nach bhfuil focail cheart ar bith ag Einne anseo? Biodh naire oraibh a phleadhcai!

Labhraimse go liofa. Taim ag caileadh mo chuid litreachain anois, toisc nach stadaim an teaga.

As I just said, speak it fluenty, but I'm startin to lose it, 2 years after finishing school. Not much chance to speak mo theanga fhein on a TCD engineering course. Worked as an Ard Chinneara in a gaeltacht course for a couple of summers, teaching teens Irish, sport and looking after their general wellbeing. fun fun fun...

[edit] the grammer in Irish isn't actually all that bad, although I have been speaking it since I was 4. It's much simpler than english, with only 12 irrelgualr verbs that don't follow standard language templates. The most difficult part is the dreaded tisil ginideach, which is the Irish version of masculine/feminine words, and the only way to know which a word is is to memorise it.