PDA

View Full Version : Are rat ogres really worth taking?

Lord Tzeentch
02-06-2007, 22:21
hi i just like to know what most of you think about rat ogres. 50pts for something with no armour and stupidity when the pack master dies. I no strenght 5 is good but for the points i mean in beast men a minotaur costs 40 + light armour and can have great weapons.

comments would be appreciated.

Someone please tell me iv over looked how amazing they are.

Thanks

Mad Makz
02-06-2007, 22:48
Unfortunately you are right - Rat ogres are very rarely worth it. They provide an interesting unit choice, and for 100pts you can get a relatively hard hitting flanking unit, but unfortunately it's very fragile and prone to panic. For 150 points you can get a slightly less fragile flanking unit, that is difficult to maneuver in a packed battleline (which skaven usually have) and not all that much more hard hitting, and still prone to panic.

3 Ratogres are generally better replaced by an small unit of 12 Plaguemonks, 6 wide, two ranks and a champion. Nearly twice the times the attacks (3 Ratogres = 9 Strength 5, 3 Strength 3, versus 19 Strength 3 Attacks for the Plaguemonks), Immune to psychology due to frenzy and tougher (12 toughness 4 wounds versus 9 Toughness 4 wounds and 3 Toughness 3 wounds), + 1 combat res if the make it into combat intact, equal unit size, never stupid, same manoueverability but slightly slower, frenzied so must charge (but rat ogres pretty much must charge as well as they can't really take a charge except against the lightest of opponents).

The only significant advantage the Rat Ogres have is fear causing - but on it's own it's not really enough, AND the Plaguemonks are 42 pts cheaper. (Which buys you a unit of 20 slaves to add ranked support to them!)

They do look pretty cool on the tabletop though, and the fear causing, movement 6 and strength 5 can come in hand occassionally, but not often enough to be an optimum choice.

kyussinchains
02-06-2007, 23:11
I've used them to good effect for the sake of variety, for 200 points you get a decent number of attacks and fear causing, they're even nastier with death frenzy cast on them. There are better things to spend points on, but if you're about having fun and trying different things, give them a whirl!

theunwantedbeing
02-06-2007, 23:20
Yes...if you can get death frenzy on them they are pretty darn scary to face.
5st5 attacks each..not nice to be on the recieving and of that.
Their cost and relative ease to remove generally makes them not worth taking.

That said,they do provide a bunch of high strength attacks that cant really be gotten from anywhere else in the army(combatwise at least),so they arent worthless.
You do get a few whip attacks as well which can be useful on occasion.

fubukii
02-06-2007, 23:43
the answer is no if you want ogres take ironguts as a rare slot 2 pts less 5+ save and str6 and impact hits. Also ld8 not 5

Lord Tzeentch
02-06-2007, 23:59
Lol but that a rare choice plus i dont like dogs of war but you see what i mean about the point. 50pts is a bit steep

vampires are cool!
03-06-2007, 00:10
Unfortunatly they are a points sink. When i ran Skaven this didnt stop me though and i never went to battle without them. It does depend on your tactics with them. Small units of two arnt strong enough and big ones of three arnt manoverable enough.

Solution; take twenty! I ran two units of ten and it was fantastic! Panic was a nightmare but hightened the fun of playing with them. Whatching them hit the line of an opponant was like a breath of fresh air in a warpstone fogged tunnel. Most gamers just arnt mentaly prepared to fight something like that so you can get away with a lot.

Lord Tzeentch
03-06-2007, 00:22
lol cool but 1000pts of rat ogres thats just insane lol tho the other players face is probably worth it.

vampires are cool!
03-06-2007, 01:25
Always was, and it was supprisingly hard to beat. People just arnt acustomed to seeing that kind of stupidity so blatently. It throws them.

Irennicus
03-06-2007, 03:24
Solution; take twenty! I ran two units of ten and it was fantastic! Panic was a nightmare but hightened the fun of playing with them. Whatching them hit the line of an opponant was like a breath of fresh air in a warpstone fogged tunnel. Most gamers just arnt mentaly prepared to fight something like that so you can get away with a lot.

Man, you seem like a player I'd love to face against. Unconventional armies are great.

alkaboom
03-06-2007, 18:31
what the less number requiered for a unit of rat ogre?

vampires are cool!
03-06-2007, 18:36
Three is most common, but some people take only two - for manoverability purposes.

forgottenlor
04-06-2007, 08:34
I considered using one or two rat ogres to accompany a unit. Has anyone tried this out (using them for support rather than as their own unit). The problem is I think tunnel teams, jezzails and plague monks are much more useful, and one doesnt have so many specail choices.

fracas
04-06-2007, 11:31
two would get you flanking bonus