PDA

View Full Version : A newbies Tyranids!

game_junky
03-06-2007, 08:56
Hi everyone, I'm new to this site and new to the hobbie as well. I've decided to go with Tyranids as I've always liked dinosaurs, lizards ect and the tyranids just have this reptilian look to them that I love. Thats also why I chose to use a more natural colour scheme, here's a pic of my first ever Gaunt. http://s191.photobucket.com/albums/z116/game_junky/?action=view&current=DSC01179.jpg
Now I'm sure if this will even work, still figuring this site out. Oh well here goes.

Ross
03-06-2007, 09:18
Done well kiddo, not bad for someone who only found out about the game 5 days ago!!! Top marks on the carapace, can tell you've got a lizard in a box to use as reference :)

game_junky
03-06-2007, 09:21
http://i191.photobucket.com/albums/z116/game_junky/DSC01181.jpg
My Hive Tyrants so far, hoping to undercoat it tonight.

game_junky
03-06-2007, 09:51
Thanks for the praise Ross and thanks for showing me the site and getting me started on this whole thing.

The Laughing God
03-06-2007, 13:59
The Gaunt looks really good, and you just started painting:eek:

Would you mind telling me what you did to the carapace? Is it just brown strokes? A whole army painted like that guant would be awesome! The hivetyrant should be cool too. My tyranids skin is vomit brown then with scaly green carapace and purple details, then I decided to dip them, I couldn't do that many models without dipping.:angel: There is a link in my sig if you want to see them.

The only thing that I don't like is the gaunts base, you missed some areas with the pebbles. I aslo don't like armies with the rims painted ,but that's just me. It's your army so do what you want with it.

Good Luck,

-The Laughing God-

schoolcormorant
03-06-2007, 14:01
you lucky blighter! you've got ross to teach you to paint?! i got no-one :( :p

i like the red spots on the bone, looks really cool, a bit more fleshy if that makes sense, keep it up mate :)

SC

Strafbomber
03-06-2007, 14:23
It's nice to see someone new to the hobby take such good care preparing his models for painting. I'm reffering to the greenstuff work on the Hive Tyrant.
Be sure to trim the mold lines from it though or you'll regret it later on when it's painted :)

Good job and welcome to the hobby!

The Laughing God
03-06-2007, 14:27
you've got ross to teach you to paint?! i got no-one
It's ok, I have no one too:D :cries: lol

I forgot to mention is that I too like the red spots on em, I think it looks organic which is what you were trying to achieve, yes?
Can't wait to see more.;)

-The Laughing God-

Angelwing
03-06-2007, 14:47
very nice! but do take your time to get rid of the mould lines! The finished model will look so much better.
More please!

Getifa Ubazza
03-06-2007, 15:41
Looking good, very organic. Keep up the good work.

Ross
04-06-2007, 09:03
you lucky blighter! you've got ross to teach you to paint?! i got no-one :( :p

i like the red spots on the bone, looks really cool, a bit more fleshy if that makes sense, keep it up mate :)

SC

I don't think there's much I can teach her SC, it took me years to get where she is now!! Give it a month and she'll be picking on my paint jobs :)

Cpt_NinjaPants
04-06-2007, 09:39
Looking good so far, but i see mold lines..

No grade from me yet, need to see more.

Edit.. 5 days in to the hobby.
BY THE EMPEROR'S HAIRY BALLS! You are going to a Slayer Sword winner very very soon..

game_junky
04-06-2007, 12:04
Wow where to start!
The Laughing God: The streaks on the carapace are actually watered down chaos black, Ross asked me the same thing. As for the bases I copied the idea out of my Tyranids codex book and I added more sand to the base last night. It was a bit of a rush job and more sand fell off than what I thought would.
schoolcormorant: Wouldn't have found this place or the new hobbie without Ross, great teacher, great bloke nuf said.
Thanks for the comment on the red spots, I just thouht it made em look prettier (I can say that I am a girl after all) I planned on putting spots on them right from that start just didn't know what colour, glad everyone seems to like it.
Strafbomber: Thanks 4 the welcome, Ross got me onto the green stuff, he's been having a go at me about the mold lines too (along with everyone else LOL) things probably look a bit on the rough side to all your keen eyes as I'll admit I am rushing into it (too eager to start painting!) I'll start paying closer attention soon enough.
Cpt_NinjaPants: Yes yes mold lines I know, I'll work on it. 7 days ago I didn't even know what mold line were! Thanks for your confidence in my painting though, much appreciated.
And heres some more pictures! 3 paintedGaunts.
http://i191.photobucket.com/albums/z116/game_junky/DSC01190.jpg
And my Hive tyrant with just the two tone paint job (first coat other than base coat)and a wash over with watered down chaos black to add shadows, not sure what I'm going to do to it next. I put black streaks on the horn just to see what it would look like, its not final probably change it 100 times before I'm happy.
http://i191.photobucket.com/albums/z116/game_junky/DSC01193.jpg

Ross
04-06-2007, 12:12
I'm soo hiring you as my PR rep. :) I can't believe how far you've gotten on that monster. Keep it up. (should rename your thread: How to paint a horde Nid army of 300pts in one week :) )

The Laughing God
04-06-2007, 20:03
The Gaunts look really good, when they are all together like that they look awesome. The hive tyrant looks good so far, I like the face it looks evil:evilgrin: .

-The Laughing God-

game_junky
06-06-2007, 14:00
Thanks laughing god, they do look better once you get them in a group. I've done lots more work on the Tyrant I'll post pics soon. I checked out your army, they look great. Completely different colour scheme its amazing what you can choose. Dipping looks good too (and alot less frustrating) I've got sooo many gaunts to go, but I'll paint them all by hand eventually. I've slowed down now that I've got a couple done and I'm making sure I clean them up a bit more (mold lines ect) coz now that i've started painting them I CAN see the difference it makes...

skidrow
06-06-2007, 16:52
Nice lookin Tyrant there......I have had a Tyrant for about 12 months now and it still hasn't even got the legs attached. You're putting me to shame young lady. Keep up the good work. Good to see us Aussies makin more of an appearance here too....... You are in Australia aren't you ??? I know Ross is so I thought you would be too. :D

The Laughing God
06-06-2007, 19:43
Thanks game_junky!:)

Dipping does cut a lot of time, I couldn't even think of doing so many models. Do you have an army list for the army, or are you making it up as you go?

-The Laughing God-

game_junky
09-06-2007, 09:25
You are in Australia aren't you ??? I know Ross is so I thought you would be too. :D

Hey there, yep I'm an auzzie. Thanks for the comment, I've slowed down since I've got the first few painted.

Thanks game_junky!:)

Do you have an army list for the army, or are you making it up as you go?

-The Laughing God-

Nah, just making it up as I go. Buying ones that I like the look of, might go for a couple of warriors next or a carnifex.
Here's my update on the Hive Tyrant, still got to add some small details and do the base but its nearly there...
http://i191.photobucket.com/albums/z116/game_junky/DSC01199.jpg

Eniac
09-06-2007, 09:40
Looking good so far. And those finished Gaunts are incredible. I love that patterning.

3 0f 6
09-06-2007, 10:34
nice models, keep up the good work..... shame you are outshining my nids in a big way.......I m gunna go sulk in a corner

Ross
09-06-2007, 15:05
I don't know whether it's better IRL as I can pick it up and examine it in detail or blown up onscreen to look intimidating!! Still love the way you blended the red to brown though, keep 'em coming :)

Angelwing
09-06-2007, 15:28
yes, do keep them coming, i like what i've seen so far.

game_junky
12-06-2007, 13:37
nice models, keep up the good work..... shame you are outshining my nids in a big way.......I m gunna go sulk in a corner
Thanks but don't sulk, I look around here at all the different styles and ways of painting and I think they're all good and I have much to learn from everyone. Thanks again.

I don't know whether it's better IRL as I can pick it up and examine it in detail or blown up onscreen to look intimidating!! Still love the way you blended the red to brown though, keep 'em coming :)
Thanks Ross, yes both ways of viewing are good or though sometimes the blown up pictures are a curse as they are way to detailed and reveal all my missed mold lines and slip ups with the paintbrush!

yes, do keep them coming, i like what i've seen so far.
Wish granted here's the finished product. My first Hive tyrant, first large warhammer model for that matter. Now I have to continue work on the gaunts. http://i191.photobucket.com/albums/z116/game_junky/DSC01210.jpg
http://i191.photobucket.com/albums/z116/game_junky/DSC01213.jpg
I've made Red a more dominant colour than I had first planned for 2 reasons. 1. because it looked good and 2. because I got this cool idea: You know how many lizards, frogs insects ect have bright warning colour markings? Like the poison arrow frog? I also got the idea from being somewhat of a dinosaur enthusiest, scientists believe that some dinosaurs could make blood rush to the surface of their skin making it flush bright red. I like the idea. It would be an effective technique in battle making the enemy believe they are already covered in blood, very intimidating. Also useful for battles over teritorry between rival Tyranid swarms! Hope you like, comments welcome.

Ross
12-06-2007, 14:03
Clever idea on the real life comparison with lizards and frogs. Great painting too, top marks little grasshopper :) The best bit is you've done 99% of it without my help. Run free, go ...........

All in all, not bad for a GIRL!!!! :evilgrin:

game_junky
26-06-2007, 08:27
Well here's some new pic's, I've got 8 gaunts painted now and 8 more to go. Starting to look better now that I've got a small swarm coming together. Once I've painted the rest of my gaunts I'll either have a break from Nids and get some Lizard men or continue on with some warriors. Anyway enjoy the Pic's, Comments most welcome!

http://i191.photobucket.com/albums/z116/game_junky/093.jpg

http://i191.photobucket.com/albums/z116/game_junky/095.jpg

game_junky
26-06-2007, 08:48
Another pic, just other side of the Gaunt. I noticed this one has better detail on this side.

http://i191.photobucket.com/albums/z116/game_junky/094.jpg

Help the Newbie! Opinions and comments most welcome!

Ross
26-06-2007, 08:59
Not bad at all. A little more work on the blending of the snakebite and red, though masses up a viewed from a playing distance it would be hardly noticable :) The first plates on the back behind the head could probably do with some brown or red on the edges just to pick them out from the second plate.

Just my opinion mate :)

game_junky
26-06-2007, 09:12
Yes opinion thats what I want, I was a bit lazy with the gaunts in regards to the blending of colours. I did alot of that with the tyrant but just did dry brushing on the gaunts, as you said from normal viewing distance it looks ok. Might try abit of blending with the other 8 for variation among the swarm. Thanks mate.

Ross
26-06-2007, 09:20
You just want them painted so you can buy the carnasaur without a guilty concience (sp?). I'm onto you ;)

bobert the great clen one
26-06-2007, 12:02
holy laughing cow cheese! there fantastic , call yourself a newbie? lier :p lol

skidrow
26-06-2007, 16:39
Hey Junky, lookin really good. One thing you might want to try is on the eyes of your gaunts just paint a straight black line in the middle from top to bottom. Kind of like a lizards eyes. See what you think. Look forward to more soon :D

wikear
26-06-2007, 16:48
Looking Great!!

The only thing I would suggest is: do sth with their teeth... their too clean, too white. But that's it!

Nice blending on tyrant bloby thingy, whatever that is hehe

game_junky
27-06-2007, 06:55
Yes you read me like a book Ross I am rushing the paint job so I can go buy some new models!!! I want warriors and lizard men!

holy laughing cow cheese! there fantastic , call yourself a newbie? lier :p lol

:D Thanks! No really the hobbie is totally new to me! I'm enjoying it too, its challenging and rewarding. Glad you like them, can't wait to get more!

Hey Junky, lookin really good. One thing you might want to try is on the eyes of your gaunts just paint a straight black line in the middle from top to bottom. Kind of like a lizards eyes. See what you think. Look forward to more soon :D

Thanks skidrow and Great idea! like a cats eye, my pet lizard had a round pupil dunno about other lizards but I totally get your idea. Will try it out, they are sooo tiny though its going to be difficult...

Looking Great!!

The only thing I would suggest is: do sth with their teeth... their too clean, too white. But that's it!

Nice blending on tyrant bloby thingy, whatever that is hehe

Thank you, yeah I wanted the teeth to really stand out but your right i guess they shouldn't look so clean, how should i dull them down a bit then?. I worked hard on blending that tyrant so thanks again!

wikear
27-06-2007, 07:57
Well... what I usually do on my orks is paint teeth in Snakbite Leather, then Snakebite Leather/BLeached Bone (50-50) and to finish off just Bleached Bone.

That's simple and quite effective way to do that (in my humble opinon) and works on my horde :D

Good Luck!

adreal
27-06-2007, 08:41
love the work you've done on those nids, and for only 5 days (although more now I'm sure)....it's just damn.....and....damn

looking forward to seeing more nids/lizardmen from you

Getifa Ubazza
27-06-2007, 09:57
That Tyrant is looking sweet. What you doing next, after your hormagaunts and termagaunts are done?

game_junky
29-06-2007, 10:03
That Tyrant is looking sweet. What you doing next, after your hormagaunts and termagaunts are done?

Thanks, next I might get some warriors or start my second army which I've decided will be lizardmen. Is there anyone with a current log on lizard men just for some ideas? I Haven't brought them yet. I don't even know what is available in the lizardmen range little own what to get first. The nearest games workshop stockist is a hours drive away.

Thanks adreal, yes its been a lil while now since I first started but this is still my first army so I'm diffinately still a newbie to all this!