PDA

View Full Version : Magic Resistance (Again)

EvC
03-06-2007, 13:51
Similar to another thread... but if a spell "affects" everything within a certain range, and you have a character in that unit with MR, can he use it even though he's not specifically targetted by it?

Example in case: Arch Lector's bound spell D6 S6 hits to all within 12", a Vampire with MR1 in a unit nearby. Do the undead get the benefit of the MR?

T10
03-06-2007, 13:56
Yes.

Qualification: The MR rules provide protection against spells that "affect" the unit or are "targeted against".

Though the rules can be thoroughly picked apart and argued over endlessly, the simplest application is to apply MR whenever a spell is cast that affects the unit as described in the spell description.

-T10

EvC
03-06-2007, 13:57
Any answer beyond "yes" to satisfy my opponent and the neutral observer? ;)

Angelwing
03-06-2007, 13:59
page 95 BRB. if the person with MR is affected, you get to use its MR.

Gorbad Ironclaw
03-06-2007, 14:03
And also note that if a character with MR joins a unit, the unit benefit from his MR as well, doesn't have to target the character specifically anymore.

ZomboCom
04-06-2007, 16:54
But bear in mind that it is possible to be affected by a spell and not get to use your MR, e.g. the Comet or any other spell where it is unknown who will be affected at the time of casting.

EvC
04-06-2007, 18:44
Thanks for the responses, my opponent and the observer had said he needs to be "targeted" so pointing out the "affected" part convinced them. Dunno why they were arguing so vehemently against it, I only killed two of my opponent's models in the entire game, it's not like he needed the rules twisted in his favour!

Krankenstein
05-06-2007, 09:47
Dunno why they were arguing so vehemently against it, I only killed two of my opponent's models in the entire game, it's not like he needed the rules twisted in his favour!

Alas. Because the Argument Phase is so important, it becomes a habit for many, and those who actually enjoy making forceful fake-certain claims rise to prominence.