PDA

View Full Version : Dealing with Dwarfs

crouching lictor
03-06-2007, 16:06
How do you deal with a Thorek gunline as Druchii?

My opponent usually fields Thorek, 3 x 10 Thunderers, 20 Quarellers, Organ Gun, Stone thrower and cannon and then some infantry as the points allow.

I have tried a variety of lists ranging from MSU, to monster heavy, to multiple fliers and I end up getting shot to bits by his missile troops and that blasted Anvil.

What works against this?

heretics bane
03-06-2007, 16:36
As in dark elves?? asssains and units that appear behind his lines, then when there tied up taking out assains some cold one riders run up and start crurning up the gunline and try to avoid the anvil or send something really big after it

crouching lictor
03-06-2007, 19:02
That's the problem, you can't avoid the Anvil. It doesn't need LOS to target you and it affects D3 units a turn. Usually, by the end of turn 2 all of my war machines are dead and then he targets my soft T3 units with 2D6 S4 hits.

Poomermon
03-06-2007, 19:29
Use this: http://uk.games-workshop.com/darkelves/special-characters/6/

Place it in Thoreks unit and just slaughter him in every game. Do this as many times as necessary until he stops using cheesy special characters. If he whines even a little just smack him with your armybook :D .

Mr. Bombadidaloo
04-06-2007, 00:50
stupid question: how legal is that master of assassins dude? Tournament-legal? *gulp*

Alathir
04-06-2007, 01:21
Thorek is one of the few things in warhammer I would call cheesy... he is far too good!

The re-roll should be once per game.

My advice would be to tell him to stop using such a dumb character... or the shadowblade tactic is quite nice as well.

Frankly
04-06-2007, 01:38
stupid question: how legal is that master of assassins dude? Tournament-legal? *gulp*

Depends on the tournament, he's legal if you can play special characters and GW are pushing for this.

I'm are surprised that a MSU turn 2 charging armylist doesn't put up a fight against his list. Lots or D.Riders and Flyers + anything else that can get between or into his battle line on turn 2

Combined charges against so many units without static CR should be winning you combats. You should be watching the range between your units and panic tests as well.

I hope your not taking magic and using ALOT of fast combat characters(flying if possible) and deploying outside of his X.Bow range.

The assassin is a great idea.

Shank
04-06-2007, 02:58
Hey, as a Dark Elf player, you are one of the lucky ones. You are probably one of the only armies that has a sure fire way to deal with Thorek. Shadowblade after a few games, as said above, will have your Dwarf friend thinking of alternate army lists. Thorek is way too powerful and in my opinion, a little unfair. So, don't feel guilty surprising him with Shadowblade. Shadowblade is official, and legal. Ohhhh, I wish I could see his face!!!

feeder
04-06-2007, 04:14
Shadowblade can't be placed in Thorek's unit. When revealed, Shadowblade has to replace a RnF. Not Thorek, Kraggi or the two champions.

However, that shouldn't stop Shadowblade from hiding in the nearest unit of Thunderers, slaughtering them, then charging Thorek.

Dead Man Walking
04-06-2007, 05:16
Its unfortunate you dont have a swarm unit in DE list. In lizardmen I threw 4 bases of them at thorick and tied him up for the rest of the game.

Shank
04-06-2007, 13:09
Thorek and his Anvil are considered a Warmachine. Shadowblade can replace one crew from a warmachine. The Anvil Guards are not champions so he could replace one of those.

Baindread
04-06-2007, 13:18
Thorek and his Anvil are considered a Warmachine. Shadowblade can replace one crew from a warmachine. The Anvil Guards are not champions so he could replace one of those.

Are the guards crew then? Do you need them to use the anvil? No. Thatīs a fairly loose ground to stand on when trying to place him there.

Poomermon
04-06-2007, 13:55
Shadowblade replaces one of the models in the unit (he was killed before the battle), remove one ordinary unit member (not a Command model or Character).

I think anvil guards fit here quite well as they are not command models or characters. If you want to argue they are not ordinary unit members, please tell me what they are then.

T10
04-06-2007, 14:33
What works against this?

Hide.

Buy a few small units that are powerful and/or fast. Avoid getting shot by hiding in terrain for most of the game and then rush out and claim/contest table-quarters.

This should net you a draw each game. Hopefully your opponent will need to change his tactics in order to avoid death by boredom.

-T10

Mouse_NJ
04-06-2007, 14:37
I would use a sizable unit of shades and hope you go first. The Manflayers might even be an option as don't they have greatweapons? that way your reducing the attacks your opponent can have. If Thorek is in combat he can't use runes, so really you should target the anvil guards and then you should be able to win combat when you charge. Figure Banner and Outnumber, if you do 2 wounds you should win combat, or even if you push combat you have a musician in the Manflayers units. Just try and beat him down.

Bombot
04-06-2007, 17:29
My advice would be to tell him to stop using such a dumb character... or the shadowblade tactic is quite nice as well.

As someone who really would rather not see cheesy special characters used, I welcome the use of Shadowblade against them. Best way for a player to see the error of his ways.

To players using more reasonable characters - oh sure one of your guys is going to buy it but the Dark Elf player has spent 360 points off him.

Characters like Shadowblade are good for keeping cheesier characters in check.

crouching lictor
04-06-2007, 17:44
I will give Shadowblade a go and see what happens. Thanks!