PDA

View Full Version : which is better out riders or pistoliers

Nickn
03-06-2007, 18:51
please vote and say why. I really cant choose between outriders or pistoliers

Hywel
03-06-2007, 19:14
They perform entirely different battlefield roles and thus it is difficult to say which is better without the context of the rest of a force.

However, I would say pistoliers fulfil a position that is difficult to occupy with other choices in the empire list whereas the main benefits of outriders can be largely replicated by your other missile units.

Wadders
03-06-2007, 19:29
Pistoliers are more versatile, faster and have a great fire rate on the move.

Outriders are handgunners on horse with multiple shots..... so you might as well get a unit of handgunners, once its all worked out - they are about the same price per shot once modifiers are taken into account etc.

However, the outrider champion can have a hochland long rifle for 5pts, which is the best BS in the empire army (5) for a Hoch.

I would much rather have the pistoliers all said and done.

Elcampbello
03-06-2007, 20:15
I use pistoliers, but it's apples and oranges really. My army needed fast cavalry more than it needed another static shooting unit so pistoliers it was.

god octo
03-06-2007, 20:56
To me outriders seem a little odd: the unit has horses, but if they move, they can't fire. I much prefer pistoliers.

MarcoPollo
04-06-2007, 04:14
I was disappointed when the pistoleers got downgraded in their combat prowess.

I like the otriders because, it has a smaller frontage than handgunners for the same shooting effect. Plus you can move them into positions better. But, given that both are a special slot, it is a tough choice. I think the hochland for the outriders tips the choice to outriders for me.

Vattendroppe
04-06-2007, 05:26
They are used with different purposes. Whilst the pistoliers harass flanks and drive your enemy completely mad, the outriders kind of stands somewhere and blast away units with their repeater handguns. Basically.

I will not take a vote, since the question isn't relevant in a situation that is not given. Peace out.

sulla
04-06-2007, 06:12
Probably outriders because they are easier to use. They are just handgunners with a 360 degree LoS and the ability to redeploy up to 14 (16) ".

Pistoliers on the other hand must get much closer to the enemy to be useful and are still pretty poor in cc.

Having said this, as a DE player, I would try to include both if I were playing empire. I would still want the pistoliers to fulfil the traditional fast cav baiting/harassing roles.

Mephistofeles
04-06-2007, 16:52
I would prefer pistoliers, since as have been said; outriders just do something that handgunners, crossbowmen, Helblasters or something else can do to, just in a slightly other way.

Pistoliers on the other hand have a completely own niche, so I prefer them. Also, I detest gunlines, so I'm a bit biased here...

Frankly
04-06-2007, 22:33
I like the otriders because, it has a smaller frontage than handgunners for the same shooting effect. Plus you can move them into positions better. But, given that both are a special slot, it is a tough choice. I think the hochland for the outriders tips the choice to outriders for me.

Ditto.

Outriders are an amazing ranged attack unit fr their points with good mobility or a nice save.

Da Boyzz
05-06-2007, 07:24
I voted outriders;

They look better! Lol