PDA

View Full Version : Witch Elves.

truthsayer
11-08-2005, 11:10
Ive been playing Dark Elves for quite a while now and have usually stuck to the cheap (pointswise) spearmen, dark riders, corsairs, bolt throwers and other non elite stuff but think now is the time to include some.

My main opponent plays high elves and has recently got a unit of swordmasters which has prompted me to buy a unit of 16 witch elves to counter them. The only problem is how to stop the frenzy from diverting my new butchers! I was thinking about having a unit in front of the witches to soak up any missile fire and then to move them at the last minute to let the witches through. Maybe corsairs (for the 4+ save) or shades (for their 360 move and skirmish screen).

I would like to know if any of you have had an experience of using frenzied troops and how to use them effectively.

Zeb
11-08-2005, 12:11
Use Shades as protection/bait/screen for them, those are fast (they can always march) and are relatively cheap, they skimrish (-1 to hit with shooting).

I usually just feild Witches in a unit of 10 w. a champ/hag. They weigh in below 150 pts and will make for a great flanking unit.

Mars
11-08-2005, 12:31
For skirmish screens, I love using my Harpies

Although Shades do have a better Ld, especially near the general, can scout... Basicly as good at it as Harpies I guess, although Harpies do have the advantage of speed and mobility, against their lower morale.

truthsayer
11-08-2005, 14:49
So im thinking of using the shades then. how many would be suitable. my high sorceress will be nearby to provide ld so any panic tests should be passed with ease.

Here's another thought. what about using the manflayers? they have a -4 modifier to hit if the enemy are at long range and so they might last longer than shades. just the basic 6.

Harky
11-08-2005, 16:00
they're to expensive to use as shields

enyoss
11-08-2005, 17:26
I didn't think skirmishers could use leadership bonuses from the general?

cheers,

enyoss

truthsayer
11-08-2005, 17:40
Amember of GW staff told me that, then he pootled off to find it in the rulebook and lo and behold he couldn't find it. He thought it might be the 5th edition rule but if anyone can find it in the rulebook a page number would be nice.

Mars
11-08-2005, 20:13
I've heard of skirmishers benefiting from general's leadership

only ones I know who can't are my beloved Harpies (they'd probably be too good)

samw
12-08-2005, 01:45
yes they can, otherwise BoC would be nigh unplayable.

Yanos
15-08-2005, 08:50
There is another option which I'm currently entertaining the idea of. While they'll use up a Rare slot, a large unit of Dogs-of-War Duellists will fill the same role as your Shades, for almost a third of the cost. The downside of this cunning plan (other than that pesky Rare slot) is that they've a Movement of 4 compared to 5 for the rest of your army, but bearing in mind they can make use of your General's Ld to keep them moving, this might be worth the hassle!

The other option is to string out a unit of unadorned Warriors, who clock in at only 2 points more each than the Duellists, but don't get to skirmish.

Whichever you choose, my plan at the moment is to find some suitable models to have the unit decked out as Slaves, sent ahead of the main force as cannon fodder :evilgrin: !