PDA

View Full Version : Rat ogres viable?

BlackViper
04-06-2007, 11:17
Ok, I've been playing Skaven for some years now (no, not with 2 daggers and a sling). They're very variable. Sometimes they're dead hard and kick ass, sometimes they get murderd and run away like school children.

I now have 6 characters (2 are awesome) but most of my henchmen are dead! (I'm down to just 3!). I have 60g in the bank and 4 wyrdstone shards. I'm thinking of saving for a rat ogre.

Now, on paper I don't think they're all that good. But the truth is that skaven are some of the most restrictive bands. I've tried every viable build of hero and henchman, they're all ok but I'm bored. I wanna give the rat ogre a chance.

Who's used one? Are they all bad? What's the best way to play them?

Thanks in advance.

-Graham

Mouse_NJ
04-06-2007, 15:56
Basically they work almost identically to a ogre body guard. You will be how suprising they drop once the warbands are getting up there in abilities and experience. I usually end up getting one as they are fun to use and add a little bit of punch to a warband that survives on its characters really. I also had some really nice B.Skaven characters in my warband. I used to use the rat ogre to keep my mages alive-skaven mage and the hireling warlock. I used the ogre in bodyguard mode in case anyone tried to go after the magic. It worked fairly well honestly, but its really a lot to spend

BlackViper
04-06-2007, 16:41
Yeah. I guess it's just that the campaigns bee going a while now. Other peoples henchmen seem to be getting hard - extra attacks, strength, toughness etc. Mine are all running around with initiative 7 (lets face it, no-one needs initiative 7) and just don't do the job any more!

The rat ogre might be just the thing - and then if I survive a few more rounds I'll replace lost henchmen!

Daredhnu
04-06-2007, 17:28
i don't think they can actually get Initiative 7 only +1 per stat for henchmen and all that you know.

anyway on the rat ogre subject, i like em they are tough, granted not so much against the big characters of you opponents warband, but they are certainly useful against the little guys who can hardly touch it.
(except with missile weapons it seems, mine keeps getting shot :p)

Etienne de Beaugard
04-06-2007, 18:57
The only time I had enough money for the Rat Ogre was in a very advanced campaign. While she was big and tough, Trixie (yep, that was the rat ogre's name) attracted a ton of fire, and no one let her get close. Her psych warfare benefits were pretty large, but her battlefield effectiveness was poor.

Personnally, I would get a few club-wielding henchmen and a bunch of cannon-fodder rats to fill out my ranks.

BlackViper
04-06-2007, 22:07
Yeah, I'm bored of crappy henchmen though. I'm halfway there - 110 odd in the bank now!

I've looked up the advancement rules, you're dead right. Re-rolled, got WS instead (much more useful!). Cheers for the heads-up!

Daredhnu
05-06-2007, 00:40
you are most welcome we rats gotta stick together you know ;)