PDA

View Full Version : Air Assault

Templar Ben
04-06-2007, 15:53
I am working with a friend on making a 101st style IG Army. For those that don't know the 101st Airborne isn't really Airborne anymore. They are Air Assault. That means that they don't jump out of airplanes and instead are dropped in via helo. It can be by touch and go or fast rope.

Drop Troops would be a good fit as a doctrine except for the scatter bit but I can live with that. I am trying to see what else would be good. This is a unit that quickly takes objectives until a relief force comeing in and they move on. It is not the same as the 75th Rangers but they are somewhere between that and regular infantry. I am thinking taking Light Infantry as another doctrine would help also (even though the actual 101st has artillery that they can helo in for support :angel: ).

I would also like to represent the helo support. I saw where one guy made some Chimeras into Chinooks and some Sentinals into Little Birds but they won't have the same rules as a helo (ignoring terrain etc.). I looked at flyers in IA but those are like airplanes not helos. Any ideas there or am I stuck with VDR?

Thanks in advance.

mistformsquirrel
04-06-2007, 16:16
Well there are Vultures and Valkyries, which admittedly look like planes, but are VTOL.

That's the best suggestion I can really give ya.

Oh yeah - and the Elysians list /may/ suit your thinking; I think its in IA4? maybe?

Templar Ben
04-06-2007, 16:26
Are the Vultures and Valkyries in the same book as the Elysians?

kanluwen
04-06-2007, 16:34
Yes, they are. There's two seperate Elysian lists. There's the SpecOps Elysians in The Anphelion Project and there's the grunt Elysians in The Taros Campaign.

Templar Ben
04-06-2007, 16:55
Okay ForgeWorld gets more of my money this week.

From what I described about the actual 101st does Elysian sound like it fits the bill?

Easy E
04-06-2007, 16:55
Go to the Sci-Fi Project log and search for Commissar Vaughn's thread titled, Building Castles in the Sky". That's the way to do it.

Edit: http://www.warseer.com/forums/showthread.php?t=46479&highlight=building+castles+in+the+sky

kanluwen
04-06-2007, 17:01
Yeah, the Elysians can be either air dropped or air cavalry.

Montford981
04-06-2007, 21:15
Templar Ben I'll be expecting to see a Bulwinkle Badge on the chest of each of your troopers! :)

Templar Ben
04-06-2007, 21:51
Yeah, the Elysians can be either air dropped or air cavalry.

Thanks

Templar Ben I'll be expecting to see a Bulwinkle Badge on the chest of each of your troopers! :)

He will appreciate that. :D