PDA

View Full Version : Fast Cavaly, Skirmishers, Missle Fire (Orc and Goblins)

pestario
04-06-2007, 18:01
just starting to play Fantasy and am looking for something to move in quickly and tie up war machines, missle fire units for my O&G army.

I was wondering how Spier/Wolf Riders work as far as being able to be tageted by missle fire. Is it any diffrent than a normal unit as it's fast cavalry? Can they be targeted as a normal unit?

How do Skirmishers work? I dont think O&G have Skirmishers but If I understand correctly can Skirmishers not be targeted by Missle fire becuase of loose formation?

on a related not what do O&G players do to deal with missle fire?

ZomboCom
04-06-2007, 18:04
Spider riders can be targetted as normal with missile fire; their fast cavalry status makes no difference.

Skirmishers can be targetted with missile fire, but with a -1 penalty to hit if they are unit strength 1 due to the loose formation.

As for O&G dealing with missile fire, your best bet is just to get into combat as quickly as possible!

pestario
04-06-2007, 18:08
thanks for the clarification. One thought I had was that Spider riders ignore terrain so I could hopefully move them quickly between woods, etc to gain on the misslefire units

Atrahasis
04-06-2007, 18:08
I was wondering how Spier/Wolf Riders work as far as being able to be tageted by missle fire. Is it any diffrent than a normal unit as it's fast cavalry? Can they be targeted as a normal unit?The rules for fast cavalry can be found on page 70 of the rulebook.

How do Skirmishers work? I dont think O&G have Skirmishers but If I understand correctly can Skirmishers not be targeted by Missle fire becuase of loose formation?O&G Squig Hoppers are skirmishers. The rules for skirmishers can be found on pages 65-67 of the rulebook.

on a related not what do O&G players do to deal with missle fire?Get across the field as quickly as possible and kick their heads in.

warlord hack'a
06-06-2007, 12:23
and do not forget: as long as the opponent is shooting gobbos and not you orcs then he can shoot all he wants, thats what the gobbos are for. Do not expect to keep all your models alive till you have reached the enemy line, instead expect to loose most of them agaainst a shooting or magic heavy army. Do not panic because of this, that's how it goes with O&G..

I once had a unit of 25 svg orcs armed with spears. By the time I had reached the woodelf line there were only 10 left. But they tore through the woodies without problem, which surprised my opponent. So I had to explain him that the price he pays for shooting is the price I get my high T and S for..

so to summarize: if the opponent has warmachines on a hill use wolf and spiderriders to get into chargerange quickly. If he has shooters on the ground floor use normal gobbo's to screen your more expensive units. If he has shooters on a hill it gets harder: a unit of wolfboyz/spideriders will get shot to bits, panic and run away, two units of wolfboyz/spideriders also have the chance of panicking (one gets shot to bits, the other one runs because the forst one does too), but have a better chance of succeding. But the best combo you can use is one unit of wolf/spiderriders and one orc boar chariot; if the chariot gets destroyed hen the gobbo's are fine as the cahriot is US 4 and therefor weill not cause panic, if the gobbos run away then no problem; orcs do not care about running gobbos..

But whatever you do, do not stop the advance of the rest of your force and do not run blindly into a gunline with wolfboyz..